Dragons are powerful creatures which come in many forms and live across Tyria. They are reptilian beasts connected to various elements, most commonly fire. Unrelated to the ancient Elder Dragons bound to the All, most dragons are known as "lesser dragons" and include species like wyverns, drakes, hydras, saltsprays, and skyscales. Some of them, such as skyscales, are capable of safely consuming magic unlike most mortals, though others, like hydras, are not. While some dragons, such as Glint and her scions, are capable of becoming Elder Dragons, lesser dragons do not have this innate capability. It is unclear what it is that separates those who could become Elder Dragons from the rest. Some asuran academics have suggested "glory" as a term of venery describing a group of dragons.
According to human legend, dragons of all shapes, sizes, and origin had called Cantha home for thousands of years, since long before the human tribes of old joined to form the Empire of the Dragon that took them as its symbol. The Luxons had many legends of the saltspray dragons. One tale told of a time ages ago when a dragon king made a pact with a shipwrecked captain. In exchange for wind and guidance, the captain guaranteed that no Luxon would cause harm to a saltspray dragon. To do so would bring terrible luck. That was before the saltspray dragons, with the exception of Albax, were corrupted by the Jade Wind which Shiro Tagachi's first death unleashed in 872 AE.
After the Cataclysm of Orr in 1071 AE, the partial remains of a number of dragons were raised into undeath by Vizier Khilbron. In 1072 AE, a group of heroes were able to release the saltspray dragon Kuunavang from Shiro's corruption, and she repaid them by granting them powerful celestial magic with which to defeat the resurrected Shiro.
In 1075 AE, the heroes helped the mercenary Goren relocate a "sparkling rock" to the Key of Ahdashim. However, the rock turned out to be an egg from which a saltspray hatchling emerged. The hatchling attacked the party but was promptly defeated. Upon hearing the hatchling call him its mommy, however, Goren decided to adopt the hatchling and named it Shiny after his rock, looking after the young dragon alongside the djinn of Ahdashim.
As dragons of many shapes, sizes and origin exist on the world of Tyria, their respective powers vary considerably.
Saltspray dragons such as Shiny are able to understand and speak in Common shortly after hatching. Crystal dragons such as Aurene, however, seemingly need several years before they learn to communicate beyond chirps, roars, and telepathic visions.
Unlike most lesser dragons, saltsprays appear to have a greater variety of powerful magics at their disposal. Kuunavang is able to grant celestial skills on those she deems worthy, while Albax can grant good or bad luck or even revoke such boons on a whim.
List of dragons
In Guild Wars 2
- See also: Category:Dragons
Other notable dragons
- Explorer Hiffa refers to wyverns as both dragons and dragon pretenders.
- It is unknown if lesser dragons do not have genders as Tyrians comprehend similar to Elder Dragons. Mortals have associated some speaking dragons with certain genders, however:
- In the real world, beliefs about dragons vary drastically by region, but dragons in western cultures since the High Middle Ages have often been depicted as winged, horned, four-legged, and capable of breathing fire. Dragons in eastern cultures are usually depicted as wingless, four-legged, serpentine creatures with above-average intelligence.
- If Skuld's claim about each creature on the world of Tyria having its respective associated Spirit of the Wild is true, theoretically a Dragon Spirit should exist (or has once existed) as a natural embodiment of all Tyrian dragons.
- According to the lore text of the legendary weapon Rodgort, a dragon with the same name may have once existed on Tyria. The legendary weapon Bolt suggests the existence of another dragon "whose name Tyria has yet to learn."
- Associated items
- Mini Adolescent Aurene
- Mini Aurene
- Mini Bioluminescent Skyscale Hatchling
- Mini Blue Skyscale Hatchling
- Mini Circle of Love Aurene
- Mini Copper Skyscale Hatchling
- Mini Ember Skyscale Hatchling
- Mini Festive Aurene
- Mini Gold Skyscale Hatchling
- Mini Gray Skyscale Hatchling
- Mini Green Skyscale Hatchling
- Mini Guardian Angel Aurene
- Mini Mystical Dragon
- Mini Red Skyscale Hatchling
- Mini Silver Skyscale Hatchling
- Mini Snow Flurry Dragon
- Mini Squire Aurene
- Mini White Skyscale Hatchling
- ^ The Movement of the World: Dragons
- ^ a b Guild Chat Episode 83: Fly High, Skyscale
- ^ Glory of Dragons
- <Character name>: The skyscales. They can get us to Kralkatorrik's wing. That's why Aurene summoned us.
- Caithe: You're going to ride one up to collect his blood? Will they trust you?
- <Character name>: Maybe if I feed them first. They're related to dragons. And dragons eat magic, don't they? I have to try.
- ^ Bounty
- ^ Hidden Arcana
- Ogden Stonehealer: The brotherhood believed that [Glint] would one day become an Elder Dragon. She was old and wise, well on her way.
- Ogden Stonehealer: You can imagine how it might have changed the world if she had survived long enough to become that powerful.
- ^ Legacy
- Eir: Aurene, I need you to listen carefully. Your mother sent us.
- Snaff: Glint is doing everything she can to hold off Kralkatorrik. But she won't win.
- Eir: She needs you. It's time for you to fulfill Glint's legacy.
- Braham Eirsson: Wait, what does that mean?
- Snaff: Aurene must kill Kralkatorrik and replace him as Elder Dragon.
- ^ Glory of Dragons
- Taimi: These cannon fumes must be going to my head. I'd swear I just saw Aurene leading a glory of dragons.
- <Character name>: Skyscales, actually. That's how I'm—
- Taimi: WHAT?
- Gorrik: First: intriguing. Second: "a glory of dragons?" Are you sure that's the proper collective noun?
- ^ The Guild Wars Factions Manuscripts
- ^ Farrer
- ^ a b c If It Weren't for Bad Luck....
- Infortunatos Maxeles: [...] Then one day, I spotted a drake. So I ordered my men to attack it and take one of those glittering scales as a trophy. I was sure it would make me a bit of gold, and thought nothing of it...until the bad luck set in. [...] I can only surmise that it was no drake at all...it must have been Albax, the legendary Saltspray Dragon of Good Fortune! His ill will is the only explanation for this turn of events. [...]
- Albax: You are bold to approach me thus, <Character name>. Most of my kin were corrupted by the Jade Wind two hundred years ago. Yet only I remain, the sole living incarnation of good fortune in all the land, and I will not harm you. I thank you for the return of this scale. Your courage inspires even my ancient heart. You may return to Infortunatos Maxeles, and tell him I have lifted my curse...but he should not risk my disfavor again.
- ^ Defeat the unchained wyvern
- ^ Captain Sei