Hologram of Gorrik.
Rest assured, you've got expertise and a fair dose of brilliance on your side.
Gorrik got to know Taimi when she and his older brother Blish befriended one another while attending the College of Synergetics. During Taimi's time in the Heart of Maguuma, the brothers joined the Inquest. Blish eventually transferred his consciousness into a Mark I Golemite body. This technology was developed by the Inquest, but until the M.I.G. project by Hronk's krewe, always proved fatal.
In 1331 AE, Blish and Gorrik were working at Rata Primus on the Scarab Plague samples taken from Fahranur, the First City. Gorrik was against testing the samples on living subjects but was nevertheless fascinated by the results for scientific reasons.
The brothers discovered the later Awakened invasion that was being covered up by the megacomplex's upper echelons. They took it upon themselves to send out distress signals and barricade the plague samples, as well as attempted to tamper with the Primus gate network that allowed travel without a receiving gate in order to hamper with Awakened attempts to use the gates for their own purposes.
Blish and Gorrik were contacted by the Pact Commander and Braham Eirsson who had spearheaded an Olmakhan assault on Rata Primus to investigate what the Awakened and Inquest were up to. Blish was surprised to hear Taimi's voice coming out of the Commander's personal remote communicator but quickly set the surprise aside as the brothers instructed the team where to find the gate hub so it could be shut down.
The brothers kept Awakened invaders from reaching the bottom lab and hid there long enough for the Commander and Braham to come to the rescue. Blish introduced himself to the newcomers, but before Taimi could inquire why his voice sounded different, the Commander suggested that they keep the reveal of Blish being a golem from Taimi until after they had reunited with her in person. Blish and Gorrik revealed that the Awakened presence had triggered the decontamination protocol which would make the complex self-destruct with no way of stopping it.
Teaming up with the Commander, they rushed to the vaults containing the plague samples, only to discover the samples had already been taken. They headed for the gate hub next, witnessing Palawa Joko and Commander Lonai in possession of the samples and about to flee through an asura gate. Joko taunted the Commander by promising to unleash the Scarab Plague on Central Tyria before entering the portal with the samples, leaving Lonai behind to deal with the group. During the resulting clash the gate, which Joko had tampered with to prevent anyone from pursuing him, began malfunctioning and sucked the Commander, Braham and Lonai in.
Blish and Gorrik began working on the gate to stabilize it and return the Commander and Braham from wherever the gate had sent them, using Lonai's energy signature to direct a portal to the trio's location. However, the attempts failed at first as the battling trio were being teleported around Tyria before they ended up in an unknown location somewhere in the Mists where Lonai was finally defeated. The brothers were ultimately successful in teleporting the Commander and Braham aboard Sayida the Sly's airship outside of Rata Primus and fled the complex with Gorrik's pets just as it was destroyed in an explosion.
When reunited with Taimi, she expressed fascination with Blish's condition, a welcomed change to the usual disgust or horror the brothers saw. After learning that Blish had managed to back up Inquest data on the Scarab Plague and the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik, Gorrik warmed up to the idea of working with Taimi as long as they discussed authorship hierarchy for any published research and stipulated that Taimi did not have supervisory authority.
After traveling to the Free City of Amnoon, Gorrik and Blish began researching the Scarab Plague. Gorrik discovered that the scarabs only infected humans and planted Petey, another species of beetle, under his skin to test another theory of his. But locals discovered what Gorrik was up to and arrested him after mistaking him for planning to unleash some pestilence in the city. While Gorrik was put on trial, the Cavaliers impounded his materials at the docks, including Blish who was shoved into one of the crates with his neural net cut off.
After the Commander and Taimi had helped clear the charges against Gorrik, he and Taimi went to the docks to retrieve those impounded materials. While checking his things, Gorrik incautiously released some of his bugs, and the commander and Faren, who was there for the upcoming Tyrian delegation ship, had to squash these bugs. Then, Gorrik and Taimi found the power downed Blish. Upon being rebooted, Blish returned to consciousness with a horrified scream, letting his companions know of his lack of sensory experiences in what he described as nothingness while he had been shut down. Taimi and Gorrik hastily promised never to let him experience that kind of state again and monitored him while the Commander left them to meet with Lord Faren and Councilor Mayameen who were waiting for the supply ship to arrive at the docks.
Blish, Gorrik and Taimi went to the docks later and learned that the Commander had barely prevented an outbreak of the first generation of Scarab Plague carried by the crew of the supply ship whom Joko had secretly infected.
While his brother was setting up the portal to Kourna, Gorrik continued his research about the scarab plague. But then, Petey, which is the beetle Gorrik planted under his skin, jumped out from under Gorrik's skin and ate all the plague samples, by doing that Petey grew bigger. So Gorrik thought he could grow Petey big enough to ride, and started the study immediately. He also asked the Commander to collect various things to help Petey.
Gorrik continued his research until the Battle of Gandara. He and the others followed the Commander to the front gate of the Moon Fortress, but was stopped by the third generation of scarabs, and had fall back to Rytlock's position while the Primeval Queens Nahlah and Dahlah cleaning the scarabs while the commander chasing after Braham.
Gorrik and Taimi went inside the fortress after the third-generation epidemic was averted and learned that Joko was dead. Gorrik then surprisingly found lots of pestilence samples to study, but Taimi decided everything about the plague will be destroy after Gorrik collect the data.
While the rift anomalies of Jahai Bluffs were being investigated, Gorrik was with Taimi, observing the data obtained by the Commander and theorizing with Taimi and Blish over what might have caused them. In Sun's Refuge, Gorrik helped Blish to calm down all the refugees. After the Commander returned from the Mist without Blish, Gorrik walked away from the group with sorrow.
In Thunderhead Peaks, Gorrik and Taimi used the tracker Blish made to evacuate several villages before Kralkatorrik’s minions broke through. When the final battle initiated, Taimi and Gorrik stayed high above the fight and gave the Commander information from above. After Kralkatorrik got away and Aurene was killed, Taimi and Gorrik found her branded body. When the Commander got there, they were grieving for her.
When the Commander returned to Thunderhead Peaks to prepare Aurene’s body, Gorrik and Taimi was there waiting. After Aurene was revived, Gorrik sent Kralkatorrik telemetry to help track down him.
At Dragonfall, Gorrik asked the Commander to plant his instruments to collect data about the terrain. The data shown that Kralkatorrik was healing throught ley line energy on the island. To cut down Kralkatorrik from ley line, Gorrik and Taimi helped the Commander made the new Dragonsblood Spear.
Gorrik wasn’t on the airship in Epilogue. According the Taimi, Gorrik was doing research on the Skyscales. In fact, after completing War Eternal, player can visit Gorrik in Dragonfall and follow his guide to get themselves a skyscale.
Gorrik joined Dragon's Watch as they attended the All-Legion Rally in Grothmar Valley where the charr High Legions were celebrating Kralkatorrik's demise. While there, he mostly spent his time on Erasmus Fangstorm's farm helping remove devourers from killing the cattle. He complained whenever the comm system was interrupted with unimportant conversations between the Commander and various Dragon's Watch members.
Gorrik was approached by a group of charr during the festivities, and he was forced to accompany them to the War Room in the Blood Keep where the charr, revealed to be Renegades, interrogated him about what he knew about Aurene's powers and weaknesses and threatened to harm him if he did not tell them anything of value. Gorrik managed to contact the Commander about his kidnapping before the Renegades broke the comm device, and the Commander rushed to the rescue while using Kasmeer's mesmer spell to appear as the famed Blood Legion Centurion Ryland Steelcatcher. Using either guile or brute force, the Commander saved Gorrik from the Renegades who were revealed to be working for Ryland and Imperator Bangar Ruinbringer. Gorrik was sent to safety while the Commander continued investigations in the valley about what the Blood Imperator was up to.
- Domain of Kourna
- Jahai Bluffs
|Mini Olmakhan Rox||Miniature||Rare||—||105,000 +|
|Volatile Harvesting Sickle||Harvesting sickle||Fine||60||4,900|
|Volatile Mining Pick||Mining pick||Fine||60||4,900|
|Volatile Logging Axe||Logging axe||Fine||60||4,900|
- Episode 2: A Bug in the System
- Episode 3: Long Live the Lich
- Episode 4: A Star to Guide Us
- Episode 5: All or Nothing
- Episode 6: War Eternal
- Lure the devourers into the portal before they kill the cattle (80) [Group Event]
- For the last step of Beetle Juice
- That should be everything. Shall we initiate Petey's final mutation and transformation?
- Beetle Saddle)
Let's do it. (completes Beetle Juice and unlocks
- And... done! Enhanced speed, strength, and toughness. Petey has evolved into Petey Plus. I dare say if you had a saddle you could even ride him.
- Where would I find a saddle?
- Give me a moment.
- Interacting with Petey before completing Beetle Feed
- HAHAHA! What did you think would happen? Petey doesn't even like you.
- Hard to say, but I bet if you brought him the perfect meal he would love you forever. Roller beetles aren't exactly complex.
What does he like?
- I've compilled a list for you of what should be the scientifically perfect meal for Petey. I even titled it "Beetle Feed," so you wouldn't get confused.
- I'd better start looking.
- I'd better start looking.
- I see.
- Talking to Gorrik after finishing Beetle Feed in Domain of Kourna
- Gorrik: Commander, if you think of it...tell Petey I'm proud.
- In Sun's Refuge, before completing Storm Tracking
- Hi, Commander. Sorry, we're in the middle of solving a complex calculation regarding the exponential growth patterns of particles found in one of the displaced areas of Jahai.
- Blish: We got data back from Scholar Vannis out in Jahai. It's quite interesting... potentially groundbreaking.
- I won't disturb you.
- I'll leave now.
- In Sun's Refuge, after completing Storm Tracking
- Oh...yes, Commander? I'm sorry, I'm...a bit distracted right now.
Gorrik, I'm so sorry for your loss.
- I... Thank you, but...I'm sorry, Commander. I don't feel much like talking right now.
Just know that we're all here for you, whatever you need.
- For now, I just need to think. And then...work. I think I'd just like to feel useful.
- Taimi will be grateful for your help.
- I understand.
- Never mind. Sorry to intrude, Gorrik.
- In Thunderhead Peaks
- Yes, Commander?
- (After completing the heart)
- Do any of the armies have anything to trade with?
- (Prior to completing the heart)
Looks like you've got your hands full.
- There's much to be done. One: A spider infestation. Two: Soldiers in need of aid. Three: Some stupid tournament. Plus there are scores of demoralized troops that could use some cheering up.
- Yes, spiders. It's an old place, you see. Infestations are bound to happen. They've been getting after the supplies in the pantry. See if you can return them, would you?
- I had another question.
- I'm on it.
What kind of aid?
- Our soldiers working logistics are complaining they haven't had a break or a drink in hours. And the wounded in the infirmary are amassing faster than our medics can manage. They could use more hands.
- Another question for you.
- Consider it done.
- Canach is running this tournament.
Let me guess—
- Of course. All in service of preparing the troops, he says, which... Well, he's not wrong. But it is doing some good for morale. Head over and place some bets. The troops would love it.
- I wanted to ask about something else.
- I'll go take a look.
Demoralized troops... Maybe I can help with that.
- Thank you, Commander. Inspiring people isn't really my specialty. I tried my best. Compared them to valiant soldier ants, working for the betterment of the colony, and... I see now where I went wrong.
- One more thing before I go...
- Yeah, let me take it from here.
- I wanted to ask about something else.
- I need to head out.
Gorrik, how are you doing?
- I'm well! I'm...well. Doing my best to support Taimi—there was no way she was going to be able to handle all of this alone. But some of these tasks are...better suited for a people person.
- Can I lend a hand? (goes to "Looks like you've got your hands full.")
- I wanted to ask another question.
- I have to get going.
- I need to head out.
- Long Live the Lich: High Roller — Find the items Gorrik needs to buff up his beetle. (0 )
- Long Live the Lich: Beetle Juice — Collect "medicines" for Petey. (3 )
- War Eternal: Newborn Skyscales — Something is wrong with the skyscales. (5 )
- War Eternal: Saving Skyscales — Hatch a skyscale egg. (5 )
- War Eternal: Raising Skyscales — Care for a hungry skyscale (5 )
- War Eternal: Troublesome Skyscales — Teach a troublesome skyscale. (5 )
- War Eternal: Riding Skyscales — Learn to fly on your skyscale. (25)
- Prologue: Bound by Blood: Cattle Custodian — Get rid of the devourers at the farm without losing a single cow. (3 )
- In an earlier story draft for A Bug in the System, Taimi played the part of Blish and Gorrik.
- Gorrik is voiced by Ike Amadi.
- Gorrik is on the autistic spectrum, often causing him to be misunderstood.
- Gorrik, alongside his brother, seems to have been inspired by the Fullmetal Alchemist manga series, in which two alchemist brothers (one of whom is trapped in armor, similar to Blish) are searching for the philosopher's stone to restore their bodies.
- Gorrik wears the Tier 1 Human Cultural Armor Researcher's armor.
- Gorrik's original name was Glubber.
- When the player is in first person they can see flies and hear a buzzing sound around Gorrik.
- ^ The Charge
- Gorrik: The Inquest recovered the Scarab Plague in Fahranur. We've been experimenting with it, and—
- Braham Eirsson: Wait a— Those horrible plague tests on the Olmakhan? That was YOU?
- Gorrik: No! I study insects—the scarabs themselves. I was against the testing. Although the results have been fascinating.
- ^ Revels & Rivals Gorrik: Can we please keep...this...channel...clear?
- ^ Post by Clayton Kisko in "Cut content: anything interesting?", Guild Wars 2 Forums
- ^ a b Guild Chat - Episode 61
- ^ Guild Chat - Episode 65