Edge of the Mists
- This article is about the WvW map. For other uses, see Edge of the Mists (disambiguation).
Edge of the Mists
Edge of the Mists provides instant access to competitive play, and can be enjoyed while you're waiting for a Mist War map. Progress made in the Edge of the Mists does not count toward the Mist War score
— In-game description
Edge of the Mists is a World versus World map. Its purpose is to act as an extra map for players who wish to play the World versus World format and continue earning rewards even when the official maps are full and has a separate achievement category. Edge of the Mists serves as a testing ground for the new features that may be introduced to WvW, and already provides a new style of gameplay on the floating islands connected by destructible bridges.
By successfully completing events and defeating enemies, you may receive:
- Loot drops, Badges of honor, Karma and Coin.
- World Experience and associated Mists powers.
- Unique Edge of the Mists (achievements).
- WvW Daily achievements.
|Overgrowth Safe Zone||
|Overgrown Fane Reactor|
|Stonegaze Spire Reactor|
|Frostreach Safe Zone||
|Thunder Hollow Reactor|
|Tytone Perch Reactor|
|Badlands Safe Zone||
|Arid Fortress Reactor|
|Inferno's Needle Reactor|
- Build the Bridge (80)
- Claim this land for your world (80)
- Defend this land for your world (80)
- Repel the enemy attackers (80)
- Primary article: World versus World#Mechanics
There are differences between game play in Edge of the Mists compared to other World versus World maps.
- Progress made in the Edge of the Mists does not count toward the Mist War score.
- Different Match Up, Timing, Scoring and User Interface.
- New features: Landmarks and Destructible bridges.
- No Bloodlust or Ruins of Power.
- Victory in the Edge of the Mists is awarded to the team with the highest score at the end of each match and rewards them with a supply drop in their citadel in the Borderlands map during the next match.
Control of each of the 9 unique special objectives or Landmarks, gives a unique ability, which may help you achieve victory.
- Overgrowth Region
- Frostreach Region
- Badlands Region
All European worlds will be matched up with one another in the Edge of the Mists. All North American worlds will be matched up with one another as well. Worlds will be matched according to which color they are in the current WvW matchup. For example, all green worlds will be on the same team in the Edge of the Mists.
Each match is 4 hours in duration broken up into 5 minute ticks.
- The scoring portion has a duration of 3 hours and 52 minutes when a winner is decided.
- This is followed by a 5-minute grace period to allow players to finish up.
- Players are removed from the map while the map is resetting. The next match starts 3 minutes afterwards.
Action takes place on a single map divided into 3 regions, each containing four different types of structures (objectives). Every tick, the structures controlled by each world are totaled and added to each teams's cumulative score. Capturing and holding objectives counts towards each team's score. Additional points may be given for defeating enemy players. The cumulative score is reset after every 4 hour match.
| Points for
| Points each|
The interface at the top of your screen shows important information
- (1) Potential points that may be added to the cumulative score of your team when the current tick timer expires.
- (2) Current Tick Timer: the time remaining until those points are applied.
- (3) Amount of supplies you are holding.
- (4) Remaining time in the current match
- (5) Breakdown of potential points for all 3 teams - Displayed when hovering over (1)
- The blue-ish bar at the top of the display shows your current WvW experience.
- Your team is indicated by the background color of both (1) and (3)
- Free accounts have access to the Edge of the Mists unlocked account-wide when one character reaches level 60.
- Edge of the Mists achievement category was added on December 20, 2013.
- Edge of the Mists was in a closed test period started in November 2013 and ended on January 12, 2014. There was no NDA upon the test.