Evade is mechanic which prevents attacks (including many Area of Effect attacks and traps) from hitting a character for a short duration. Evading can be achieved by a carefully timed dodge an instant before the blow lands, but can also be achieved using some skills or effects. In both cases, the word Evaded! appears on the screen when successfully evading an attack.
For the skills that grant evasion, the duration of the evasion window is shown in the skill's tooltip – typically around¾ seconds, approximately the time of a dodge. This is the time, after activating the skill, during which you will evade all attacks which would have hit you otherwise.
The attacker will see an Evaded! message on their screen, and the failed attempt may still count as an attack for traits and skills which affect a certain number of attacks, such as Spider Venom.
Skills that allow evading will either cause quick retreat by a backwards roll or flanking by quickly positioning the character to the side or behind an enemy. Being immobilized does not prevent the evading of attacks, but it does prevent dodging and movement in general, except for teleportation.
Dodge, or use an evasion skill, just before being hit (taking into account the activation delay of the skill.)
To successfully time an evasion, you need to predict the instant at which the attack will hit you (given knowledge of the attacker's skill animation, weapon swing or projectile speed, etc.) The "Evade" duration listed on your evasion skill is the time during which you have to activate the skill before you expect the hit to land. The shorter that time, the longer you must wait until the hit has almost landed, before dodging or activating the skill. Needless to say, practice makes perfect.
The following is true for evading caused by dodging as well as by the use of skills:
- If an attack would hit you during the skill's evade duration (i.e. you correctly timed your action), you will successfully evade it.
- If you attempt evading the hit too early, you will be hit by the attack when it lands, unless the dodge or skill moved you out of its area of effect, but then you have not technically evaded the attack. (Note that the "point" of impact can be a large area for AoE and cone attacks, as well as many weapon swings).
- Obviously, if you attempt evading after the hit has landed, you will have been already hit, but can still evade recurring damage from area effects such as Lava Font.
- Phase Smash — Leap through the Mists to the target area. When you land, damage and chill foes in an area, then teleport back to your previous location.
- Surge of the Mists — Charge forward, knocking back enemies that cross your path.
- Unrelenting Assault — Shadowstep and unleash fierce attacks on nearby foes. Gain might each time you damage a foe.
- Brutal Shot — Shoot your foe, then evade backward.
- Whirlwind Attack — Whirl in a target's direction, slashing foes along your path.
- Rocket Charge — Dash forward with a rocket-charged hammer to damage enemies.
- Hornet Sting — Stab your foe, then evade backward.
- Power Stab — Stab your foe and evade attacks.
- Quick Shot — Fire a quick shot in an evasive retreat. Gain swiftness. This can be used while retreating.
- Serpent's Strike — Do an evasive roll around your target, striking them and poisoning them.
- Stalker's Strike — Stab and poison your foe while evading attacks.
- Swoop — Run and leap at your foe, hitting them and nearby foes.
- Ancestral Grace — Become a wisp of natural energy traversing to the target location. When you reach the target, heal nearby allies and grant protection to your pet.
- Death Blossom — Do an evasive attack over your opponent, striking nearby enemies three times. Each hit causes bleeding.
- Disabling Shot — Do an evasive leap away from your foe while firing a crippling shot.
- Flanking Strike — Evade and stab your foe.
- Pistol Whip — Pistol-whip your foe, stunning them, then slash repeatedly with your sword. (This skill's evasion effect is not listed in the skill facts.)
- Debilitating Arc — Strike enemies in front of you and roll backward, breaking immobilizing effects.
- Vault — Leap toward your destination, damaging foes upon impact.
- Burning Retreat — Quickly roll backward, leaving behind a line of fire that burns.
- Burning Speed — Slide forward and blast the area, leaving behind a line of fire that burns foes.
- Updraft — Gain swiftness from a gust of wind that launches nearby foes.
- Earthen Rush — Quickly dash along the ground, summoning spikes along the way and then delivering an area strike.
- Riptide — Use the element of water to propel yourself backward and regenerate, leaving a healing area at your location.
- Earthen Vortex — Burrow into the ground, then erupt with earth-shattering force.
- Blurred Frenzy — Strike your foe with a flurry of strikes, distorting the space around you, making you evade attacks.
- Illusionary Riposte — Block your foe and create an illusion when attacked.
- Axes of Symmetry — You and all your axe clones shadowstep to a random location around your target and strike, applying confusion. This attack breaks enemy targeting, and your illusions change focus to the targeted foe.
- Toxic Strike — Deliver a final poisonous attack.
- Flanking Dive — Evade your foe and then strike, dealling increased damage from the side or behind.
- Shadow Assault — Strike your foe repeatedly with a shadowy assault. Evades while active.
- Evasive Strike — Evade while delivering a powerful final attack.
- Riposting Shadows — Dodge backward through the Mists. Remove movement-impairing conditions, and gain fury.
- Lightning Reflexes — Evade back with a crack of lightning, dealing damage and gaining vigor.
- Griffon Stance — Evade and gain endurance. Your endurance recovery is greatly improved. You gain might and superspeed when you evade attacks.
- Bull's Charge — Charge and knock down your foe.
- Roll for Initiative — Evade backward to regenerate initiative and recover from crippled, chilled, and immobilized.
- Sand Through Glass — Evade backward and leave behind a Mirage Mirror.
- Twist of Fate — Break stun, then spin and briefly evade attacks.
- Hidden Pistol — Shoot target foe with a hidden pistol while evading backwards.
Skills with special conditions
- Smoke Assault — Conceal yourself and lash out at nearby foes. Gain might each time you damage a foe. (with Smokescale)
- Devourer Retreat — Retreat by tunneling through the ground. (with Devourer)
- Chomp — Bite a foe and gain health. (with Drake)
- Burning Retreat — Quickly roll backward, leaving behind a line of fire that burns. (with Conjure Flame Axe)
- Fiery Whirl — Advance forward, slashing foes in your way. (with Conjure Fiery Greatsword)
- Steam Surge — Slide to an area, blasting foes with steam while healing nearby allies. (when attuned to Fire Attunement & Water Attunement while wielding a Dagger)
- Fiery Frost — Launch a fire and ice bolt while evading. (when attuned to Fire Attunement & Water Attunement while wielding a Scepter)
- Mud Slide — Trip your foes with mud as you slide past them. (when attuned to Water Attunement & Earth Attunement while wielding a Dagger)
- Swoop — Swoop at a target. (in Become the Raven)
- Centaur Dash — Charge forward, kicking up dirt that blinds your enemies and makes them vulnerable. (with Centaur Banner)
- Light Dash — Dash forward at the speed of light. (in Sanctum Sprint)
- Sun Break — Stop moving at the speed of light. (in Sanctum Sprint)
- Escape — Roll backwards while healing and evading attacks. Cures immobilized, chilled, and crippled. (when transformed into Caithe during Meeting the Asura and No Refuge)
- Dash — Dash forward and evade attacks. (when transformed into Caithe during Meeting the Asura and No Refuge)
- Dash — Dash at foes. Hold down to increase the length of the dash. (in Crab Toss)
- Dash — Costume Brawl Skill (with Reindeer Tonic)
- Dive Roll — Dive forward to avoid attacks. (in Keg Brawl)
- Perfectly Weighted — Hammer skills deal increased damage. Evading an attack grants stability.
- Primal Reflexes — When you successfully evade an attack, gain vigor.
- Strider's Defense — Evading an attack grants Quickness. Sword skills gain reduced recharge.
- Feline Grace — Gain vigor upon successfully evading an attack.
- Instant Reflexes — Evade attacks when you are struck below the health threshold.
- Swindler's Equilibrium — Successfully evading an attack while wielding a sword or spear recharges Steal. Swords and spears deal increased damage.
- Upper Hand — Gain initiative and regeneration when you evade an attack.
- Escapist's Fortitude — Gain health when you successfully evade an attack. Remove a condition whenever you evade an attack.
- Escapist's Absolution — Remove a condition whenever you evade an attack.
- Evasive Mirror — Reflect projectiles after a successful evasion.
- Mental Defense — Cast Lesser Phantasmal Defender on your attacker when you successfully block or evade an attack.
- Unwavering Avoidance - Gain stability when successfully evading an attack.
- Wrought-Iron Will — Evading an attack inspires you with Kalla's Fervor and grants boons to nearby allies.
Upgrade components that apply conditions on evade
Upgrade components that grant boons on evade
- Certain skills and effects cannot be evaded, they include:
- Skills with area denial purposes: Line of Warding, Ring of Warding, Dragon's Maw, Unsteady Ground, Static Field, Slick Shoes, Spectral Wall, Temporal Curtain's crippled, and others.
- The pull skill for Guardian (the chain skill of Binding Blade) and Hunter's Verdict for Dragonhunter (the chain skill of Spear of Justice) are also not able to be evaded.
- Passive effects that trigger when the enemies are attacked: Retaliation, Auras
- Certain environmental traps/events/objects.