From Guild Wars 2 Wiki
- This article is about the Guardian area of effect. For the crafting component used to craft Sigils, see Symbol (ingredient).
A symbol is a marked effect that guardians can place on the ground. It lingers for a few seconds, where upon creation and with every pulse, it inflicts damage to enemies and delivers a boon to allies that stand on it. All symbols are light fields.
List of symbols
|2||Symbol of Blades||Sword||10||Symbol. Teleport to your target, striking them and blinding nearby foes. Drop a symbol at your feet that damages nearby enemies and benefits allies.|
|2||Symbol of Faith||Mace||1¼||8||Symbol. Smash a mystic symbol onto the ground that damages foes and regenerates allies.|
|1||Symbol of Protection||Hammer||1¼||Symbol. Smash a mystic symbol onto the ground that gives protection to you and your allies.|
|2||Symbol of Punishment||Scepter||¼||6||Symbol. Strike foes in the target area repeatedly.|
|3||Symbol of Swiftness||Staff||¾||15||Symbol. Sear a mystic symbol into the target area, damaging foes and granting swiftness to allies.|
|4||Symbol of Spears||Spear||½||20||Symbol. Create a spear wall in front of you that damages foes that remain in its area.|
|3||Symbol of Light||Trident||½||15||Symbol. Create a pillar of light that does damage every second at your foe's location.|
|4||Symbol of Wrath||Greatsword||¼||20||Symbol. Pierce the ground with a mystic symbol that damages foes while granting retaliation to allies.|
|4||Symbol of Energy||Longbow||¾||15||Symbol. Fire a slow, arcing arrow which explodes on impact to burn targets and sear a symbol of energy into the ground.|
|2||Symbol of Vengeance||Axe||1||8||Symbol. Cleave your axe into the ground, reducing enemy movement and carving a razor-sharp symbol of vengeance.|
|3||Symbol of Judgment||½||20||Draw a symbol on the ground that heals allies and damages foes.|
Traits that improve symbols
- Symbolic Exposure — Symbols inflict vulnerability on foes. Damage to vulnerable foes is increased.
- Symbolic Power — Symbols deal increased damage and charge your Justice passive effect twice as fast.
- Symbolic Avenger — Your damage is increased whenever your Symbols hit a foe.
- Writ of Persistence — Symbols gain increased duration and radius, and heal allies.
Traits that activate symbols
- Protector's Impact — Cast Lesser Symbol of Protection when you take falling damage or using a healing skill. You take less damage when falling.
- Zealot's Speed — Create a Lesser Symbol of Wrath when you are struck while below the health threshold.
- All symbols except for Symbol of Punishment apply their effects once upon activation and pulse once per second thereafter. A 4-second symbol will pulse its effect 5 times.
- After the July 26, 2016 game update, all of guardian's main-hand and terrestrial two-handed weapons include 1 symbol skill.
- The May 08, 2018 game update expanded that treatment to underwater weapons, so that now all possible weapon combinations include 1 symbol skill each.