— In-game description
Torment is a condition that inflicts damage over time and stacks in intensity. If the victim isn't moving, they take more damage than they would while moving. Characters suffering from torment have black smoke on their legs (if applicable) and large red scratch marks around their lower body. The moving damage is higher in PvE than it is in WvW and sPvP. The damage dealt by torment is determined by the following formula:
While moving (PvE only):
(0.06 * Condition Damage) + (0.25 * Level) + 2damage per stack per second,
(0.06 * Condition Damage) + 22damage per stack per second at level 80.
While moving (WvW and sPvP):
(0.045 * Condition Damage) + 15.9damage per stack per second.
(0.09 * Condition Damage) + (0.36 * Level) + 3damage per stack per second,
(0.09 * Condition Damage) + 31.8damage per stack per second at level 80.
- See also: Condition#Related skills
Weapon skills that apply torment
- Temporal Rift — Axe
- Anguish Swipe — Mace
- Echoing Eruption — Mace
- Misery Swipe — Mace
- Spear of Anguish — Spear
- Mistsfire — Trident
- Portal Fire — Trident
- Reckoning Blast — Trident
- Torrential Mists — Trident
- Sevenshot — Short bow
- Impale — Sword
- Dancing Dagger — Dagger
- Shadow Strike — Pistol
- Malicious Sneak Attack — Pistol
- Ether Blast — Scepter
- Ether Bolt — Scepter
- Ether Clone — Scepter
- Illusionary Counter — Scepter
- Winds of Chaos — Staff
- Ethereal Chop — Axe
- Imaginary Axes — Axe
- Lingering Thoughts — Axe
- Mirror Strikes — Axe
- Ether Barrage — Scepter
- Chaos Vortex — Staff
- Devouring Darkness — Scepter
- Feast of Corruption — Scepter
- Harrowing Wave — Torch
- Oppressive Collapse — Torch
Transform skills that apply torment
Healing skills that apply torment
Utility skills that apply torment
- Skale Venom — Venom
- Signet of Spite — Signet
- Desiccate — Punishment
- Sand Swell — Punishment
- Serpent Siphon — Punishment
- Trail of Anguish — Punishment
Elite skills that apply torment
Profession mechanic skills that apply torment
- Crippling Anguish
- Throw Cursed Artifact — Stolen skill
- Steal Resistance — Stolen skill
- Desert Shroud — Shade, Shroud
- Manifest Sand Shade — Shade
Pet skills that apply torment
Downed skills that apply torment
Common skills that apply torment
- Alarm Trap
- Alkar's Alchemical Acid
- Channeled Agony
- Night Terror
- Night Terror
- Skewer — Tengu Longbow (bundle)
- Throw Unstable Bloodstone Fragment — Unstable Bloodstone Fragment
- Unstable Magic Volley — Gliding
Skills that remove torment
Healing skills that remove torment
- See also: Condition#Related traits
Traits that apply torment
- Replenishing Despair (Corruption) — While maintaining an upkeep skill, your energy pips are increased, but you apply torment to yourself every interval.
- Abyssal Chill (Corruption) — When you chill a foe, you also inflict torment on them.
- Pressure Striking (Trickery) — Enemies you interrupt are inflicted with torment. This trait can only affect enemies with defiance bars once per interval.
- Maim the Disillusioned (Illusions) — Shatter skills inflict torment on hit.
- Insidious Disruption (Curses) — Disabling a foe inflicts torment on them. Disables include stun, daze, knockback, pull, knockdown, sink, float, launch, taunt, and fear.
- Master of Corruption (Curses) — Corruptions gain reduced recharge time and inflict additional conditions on you.
Trait skills that apply torment
- Call of the Demon (Song of the Mists) — Strike enemies around you, inflicting conditions on struck foes.
- Invoke Torment (Invoking Torment) — Charge up and release a burst of torment energy on nearby foes.
- Impaling Lotus (Lotus Training) — Evade attacks and hurl damaging daggers, dealing multiple conditions to enemies.
- Phantasmal Seeking Axe (Mirrored Axes) — Release a phantasmal axe that seeks out a target after a delay, inflicting conditions.
- Phantasmal Spinning Axe (Mirrored Axes) — Generate a phantom axe that spins around you and applies conditions if it strikes a foe.
- Harbinger Shroud (Herald of Sorrow) — Shade. Enter the final shroud, gaining a powerful barrier and priming the shroud for a powerful detonation that damages enemies and bolsters allies. Targets can only be affected by this skill once per activation.
Traits that improve torment
- Acolyte of Torment (Corruption) — Torment deals increased damage.
- Yearning Empowerment (Corruption) — Damaging conditions you apply last longer.
- Demonic Lore (Scourge) — Torment you inflict deals increased damage and causes your foes to burn. This trait can only inflict burning on a particular target once every three seconds.
Traits that remove torment
- Pain Response (Acrobatics) — Gain regeneration and remove damaging conditions when struck while below the health threshold.
- Shadow's Embrace (Shadow Arts) — Remove conditions periodically while in stealth.
- See also: Condition#Related equipment
Upgrade components that apply torment
- Superior Rune of the Mirage (rank 6, on evading an attack)
- Superior Rune of the Krait (rank 6, on using an elite skill)
- Superior Sigil of Torment (on critical hit)
Upgrade components that affect torment
- Superior Rune of Tormenting (rank 2, 4, & 6 – increase duration)
- Superior Sigil of Demons (increase duration)
Upgrade components that benefit from torment
- Superior Rune of Tormenting (recover health on inflicting torment)
- Synergy with immobile and control effects, since they suppress movement of the the victim.
- "Moving" includes running (or walking), strafing, or backpedalling (default key binds , , , and respectively). Turning in place (default key binds and ) does not count as moving and thus will not activate the additional damage dealt while moving.
|May 11, 2021||
|August 09, 2017||
|June 23, 2015||Specialization update:
|October 15, 2013||
|June 25, 2013||
- Torment was introduced to the game as part of the Sky Pirates of Tyria release.
- It is one of the few condition damage types that no enemies are immune against. The others are Bleeding and Confusion.