— In-game description
Torment is a condition that inflicts damage over time and stacks in intensity. If the victim isn't moving, they take more damage than they would while moving. Characters suffering from torment have black smoke on their legs (if applicable) and large red scratch marks around their lower body. The moving damage is higher in PvE than it is in WvW and sPvP. The damage dealt by torment is determined by the following formula:
While moving (PvE only):
(0.06 * Condition Damage) + (0.25 * Level) + 2damage per stack per second,
(0.06 * Condition Damage) + 22damage per stack per second at level 80.
While moving (WvW and sPvP):
(0.054 * Condition Damage) + 19.8damage per stack per second.
While stationary (PvE only):
(0.09 * Condition Damage) + (0.36 * Level) + 3damage per stack per second,
(0.09 * Condition Damage) + 31.8damage per stack per second at level 80.
While stationary (WvW and sPvP):
(0.07 * Condition Damage) + 26damage per stack per second at level 80.
- See also: Condition#Related skills
Skills that apply torment
Weapon skills that apply torment
- Temporal Rift — Axe
- Anguish Swipe — Mace
- Echoing Eruption — Mace
- Misery Swipe — Mace
- Spear of Anguish — Spear
- Mistsfire — Trident
- Portal Fire — Trident
- Reckoning Blast — Trident
- Torrential Mists — Trident
- Sevenshot — Short bow
- Impale — Sword
- Toxic Shot — Short bow
- Jagged Fan — Harpoon gun
- Dancing Dagger — Dagger
- Shadow Strike — Pistol
- Malicious Sneak Attack — Pistol
- Double Bolt — Scepter
- Endless Night — Scepter
- Shadow Bolt — Scepter
- Triple Bolt — Scepter
- Triple Threat — Scepter
- Twilight Combo — Scepter
- Ether Blast — Scepter
- Ether Bolt — Scepter
- Ether Clone — Scepter
- Illusionary Counter — Scepter
- Winds of Chaos — Staff
- Ethereal Chop — Axe
- Imaginary Axes — Axe
- Lingering Thoughts — Axe
- Mirror Strikes — Axe
- Ether Barrage — Scepter
- Chaos Vortex — Staff
- Devouring Darkness — Scepter
- Feast of Corruption — Scepter
- Harrowing Wave — Torch
- Oppressive Collapse — Torch
- Vicious Shot — Pistol
- Weeping Shots — Pistol
Transform skills that apply torment
- Plague of Darkness — Elixir X (underwater)
- Grasping Shadows — Enter Shadow Shroud
- Grasping Shadows — Enter Shadow Shroud
- Haunt Shot — Enter Shadow Shroud
- Tainted Shackles — Death Shroud
- Dark Barrage — Harbinger Shroud
- Devouring Cut — Harbinger Shroud
- Tainted Bolts — Harbinger Shroud
- Voracious Arc — Harbinger Shroud
- Voracious Dive — Harbinger Shroud
Healing skills that apply torment
Utility skills that apply torment
- Skale Venom — Venom
- Well of Sorrow — Well
- Signet of Spite — Signet
- Desiccate — Punishment
- Sand Swell — Punishment
- Serpent Siphon — Punishment
- Trail of Anguish — Punishment
Elite skills that apply torment
- Embrace the Darkness — Legendary Demon Stance
- Spear of Archemorus — Legendary Alliance Stance, Luxon
- Plaguelands — Corruption
- Ghastly Breach — Punishment
- Elixir of Ambition — Elixir
Profession mechanic skills that apply torment
- Crippling Anguish
- Throw Cursed Artifact — Stolen skill
- Steal Resistance — Stolen skill
- Desert Shroud — Shade, Shroud
- Manifest Sand Shade — Shade
Pet skills that apply torment
Downed skills that apply torment
Common skills that apply torment
- Alkar's Alchemical Acid
- Channeled Agony
- Night Terror
- Night Terror
- Skewer — Tengu Longbow (bundle)
- Throw Unstable Bloodstone Fragment — Unstable Bloodstone Fragment
- Toxic Caltrops
- Unstable Magic Volley — Gliding
Skills that remove torment
Healing skills that remove torment
- See also: Condition#Related traits
Traits that apply torment
- Replenishing Despair (Corruption) — While maintaining an upkeep skill, your energy pips are increased, but you apply torment to yourself every interval.
- Abyssal Chill (Corruption) — When you chill a foe, you also inflict torment on them.
- Pressure Striking (Trickery) — Enemies you interrupt are inflicted with torment. This trait can only affect enemies with defiance bars once per interval.
- Dark Sentry (Specter) — Apply Rot Wallow Venom to allies you grant barrier to. Outgoing healing to allies is increased. Rot Wallow Venom effect cannot apply to yourself.
- Maim the Disillusioned (Illusions) — Shatter skills inflict torment on hit.
- Insidious Disruption (Curses) — Disabling a foe inflicts torment on them. Disables include stun, daze, knockback, pull, knockdown, sink, float, launch, taunt, and fear.
- Master of Corruption (Curses) — Corruptions gain reduced recharge time and inflict additional conditions on you.
Trait skills that apply torment
- Call of the Demon (Song of the Mists) — Strike enemies around you, inflicting conditions on struck foes.
- Invoke Torment (Invoking Torment) — Charge up and release a burst of torment energy on nearby foes.
- Impaling Lotus (Lotus Training) — Evade attacks and hurl damaging daggers, dealing multiple conditions to enemies.
- Phantasmal Seeking Axe (Mirrored Axes) — Release a phantasmal axe that seeks out a target after a delay, inflicting conditions.
- Phantasmal Spinning Axe (Mirrored Axes) — Generate a phantom axe that spins around you and applies conditions if it strikes a foe.
- Sandstorm Shroud (Herald of Sorrow) — Shade. Enter the final shroud, gaining a powerful barrier and priming the shroud for a powerful detonation that damages enemies and bolsters allies. Targets can only be affected by this skill once per activation.
- Approaching Doom (Doom Approaches) — Nearby foes are tormented and weakened.
Traits that improve torment
- Acolyte of Torment (Corruption) — Torment deals increased damage.
- Yearning Empowerment (Corruption) — Damaging conditions you apply last longer.
- Larcenous Torment (Specter) — Torment you inflict is increased. Gain shadow force when you torment a foe. Does not grant shadow force while in shroud.
- Parasitic Contagion (Curses) — A percentage of your condition damage heals you. Healing will not occur while life force replaces health.
- Demonic Lore (Scourge) — Torment you inflict deals increased damage and causes your foes to burn. This trait can only inflict burning on a particular target once every three seconds.
Traits that remove torment
- Shadow's Embrace (Shadow Arts) — Remove conditions when you enter or exit stealth. This effect also applies to stealth you grant to allies.
- Pain Response (Acrobatics) — Gain regeneration and remove damaging conditions when struck while below the health threshold.
Effects that apply torment when struck
- See also: Condition#Related equipment
Upgrade components that apply torment
- Superior Rune of the Mirage (rank 6, on evading an attack)
- Superior Rune of the Krait (rank 6, on using an elite skill)
- Superior Sigil of Torment (on critical hit)
Upgrade components that affect torment
- Superior Rune of Tormenting (rank 2, 4, & 6 – increase duration)
- Superior Sigil of Demons (increase duration)
Upgrade components that benefit from torment
- See also: Food#Torment
- Meaty Asparagus Skewer (increase duration by 15%)
- Synergy with immobile and control effects, since they suppress movement of the the victim.
- "Moving" includes running (or walking), strafing, or backpedalling (default key binds , , , and respectively). Turning in place (default key binds and ) does not count as moving.
|October 04, 2022||
|May 11, 2021||
|August 09, 2017||
|June 23, 2015||Specialization update:
|October 15, 2013||
|June 25, 2013||