Heat is a mechanic exclusive to the Holosmith elite specialization of the Engineer.
The heat bar is displayed above your weapon skills and will slowly drain while not in Photon Forge mode. Heat will not drain if Photonic Blasting Module is traited.
The player's model will change from blue to orange depending on their current heat level. If Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit is traited, they can also change to red at above 100% heat.
Exceed skills have additional effects when above 50% Heat.
Heat is generated passively at a rate of 2% per second while in Photon Forge mode. Additional heat is generated when using a Photon Forge skill. Reaching maximum Heat damages the Holosmith through Overheat.
Heat generation per skill
|Light Strike||2% per use||Swing a holographic blade.|
|Bright Slash||2% per use||Slash with a blade of light energy.|
|Flash Cutter||2% per use||Cleave through all foes in front of you twice.|
|Holo Leap||7% per use||Create a holographic launch pad and leap to your foe. The pad remains behind for a short duration, granting increased movement speed to allies who touch it.|
|Corona Burst||2% per pulse (10% total)||Strike nearby foes and begin to store up energy, gaining boons and heat each pulse. After charging, the energy explodes, inflicting conditions on nearby foes.|
|Photon Blitz||2% per projectile (16% total)||Fire multiple piercing blasts at your target.|
|Holographic Shockwave||25% per use||Create a deadly holographic shockwave that launches foes upward. This attack always deals a critical hit.|
Heat will dissipate at a rate of 5% per second, after 3 seconds of leaving Photon Forge mode. The rate will increase to 10% per second after 5 seconds of cooling.
Heat can also be lost at 15% per dodge through the Thermal Release Valve trait.
Overheat - Reaching the heat maximum results in a self-damaging explosion. Photon Forge is disabled until all heat is lost. Other tool belt skill cooldowns are increased. Holoforge Overheated - Unable to reactivate until cooled. At 100% heat (or 150% with Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit), you will Overheat, forcing you out of Photon Forge mode and dealing 25% of your base health in damage. You will also take an additional 25% over 2.5 seconds. Vitality will not increase the damage taken from overheating. If Photonic Blasting Module is traited, then you will not take the initial damage to yourself, but you will still take 25% over 2.5 seconds.
Overheating will cause all your tool belt skills to go on a 15 second cooldown (5 seconds with the Photonic Blasting Module trait).
You will not be able to enter Photon Forge mode until all heat has been dissipated. It will take 15.5 seconds to fully cool down from 100 heat and 20.5 seconds to cool down from 150 heat.
|Time||Heat lost per second||Heat lost within this range||Total Heat lost|
|0-3 seconds (3 seconds)||0%||0%||0%|
|3-8 seconds (5 seconds)||5%||25%||25%|
|8-15 seconds (7 seconds)||10%||70%||95%|
|15-20 seconds (5 seconds)||10%||50%||145%|
Heat may also be dissipated at 15 heat per dodge when using the Thermal Release Valve trait.
Skills affected by heat
|Sun Edge||Damage Increase: 10%||Damage Increase: 20%|
|Sun Ripper||Damage Increase: 10%||Damage Increase: 20%|
|Gleam Saber||Damage Increase: 10%||Damage Increase: 20%|
|Refraction Cutter||Additional Blades: 2||Additional Blades: 4|
|Radiant Arc||Quickness (2s)||Quickness (4s)||Quickness (6s)|
|Coolant Blast||Exceed||Cooling Vapor (4s)
Frost Aura (4s)
|Cauterize||Toolbelt||Additional Conditions removed: 3|
|Photon Wall||Exceed||Reflects Missiles|
|Launch Wall||Exceed||Additional Walls: 2|
|Particle Accelerator||Toolbelt||Velocity Increase: 100%|
|Laser Disk||Exceed||Duration Increase 50%|
|Blade Burst||Toolbelt||Damage Increase: 25%|
|Hard Light Arena||Exceed||Duration Increase: 4 seconds
Radius Increase: 120
|Prismatic Singularity||Toolbelt||Radius and Pull increase: 120|
|Spectrum Shield||Exceed||Recharge Reduced: 50%|
|Flash Spark||Toolbelt||Light Aura (4s)|
|Prime Light Beam||Exceed||Leaves behind a burning holographic field.|
Traits affected by heat
|Prismatic Converter||Major Adept||Conditions to Boons: 1||Conditions to Boons: 2||Conditions to Boons: 3|
|Laser's Edge||Minor Grandmaster||Damage Increase: 0 – 7.5%||Damage Increase: 7.5 – 15%||Damage Increase: 15 – 22.5%|
|Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit||Major Grandmaster||Might (2 stacks, 6s)|
- Light Density Amplifier - Photon Forge reduces incoming damage but has increased passive heat generation.
- Prismatic Converter - Deactivate Photon Forge converts conditions into boons based on your heat level.
- Heat Therapy - Gain health per unit of heat lost. This trait does not function while cooling due to an overheat unless Photonic Blasting Module is equipped.
- Crystal Configuration: Storm - Photon Forge skill 1 now fires explosive projectiles, but generates extra heat.
- Laser's Edge - While Photon Forge is active, your outgoing strike damage is increased based on your current heat.
- Thermal Release Valve - Dodge rolling vents heat as an attack against nearby foes. (Attack will not occur without heat.)
- Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit - Increases maximum heat capacity. While above 100% heat, periodically gain might. Some skills and traits gain additional heat tiers.
- Photonic Blasting Module - Overheat now blasts damage to nearby foes and no longer deals its initial damage to you. The tool belt recharge penalty for Overheat is reduced. Heat can only be lost after overheating. Damage over time from Overheat is still applied.
- As of the August 17, 2021 update:
- Mounting will no longer reset Photon Forge's heat level to 0.
- Changing specializations away from and then back to holosmith will retain your former Photon Forge heat level.
- Even though some skills list a flat Heat value and others a percentage, they're essentially all flat; so being over 100 Heat with Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit is the same as being over 100%.
|Engaging Photon Forge||Projector, activate. |
Light, come forth!.
Activating hard light emitter.
Hologram projector engage.
Switching to holo mode.
|Disengage Photon Forge||Returning to normal parameters. |
Disengaging holo projector.
Better let this cool down a bit.
|50%||I'm just warming up. |
Now we're cooking.
We're heating up.
Crossing heat thresholds.
Here's where things get hot
|Critical heat level||Heat sink reaching full capacity. |
Heat level critical.
Can't take much more of this.
|Overheat||Hot! Hot! Hot! |
We're burning up!
We can't take anymore heat.
|Fully cooled||Heat level zero. |
All heat expelled.
Heat levels stabilized.
Thermal release complete.