- This article is about the combat technique. For blocking communication from other players, see Contacts and LFG panel. For other uses, see Block (disambiguation).
Blocking is a technique used to negate incoming attacks. A blocked attack deals no damage, and other effects that would have been applied on the target are also ignored. Some traits grant benefits when blocking, when you successfully block an attack, or when one of your own attacks gets blocked. Some skills are unblockable, which is listed in the skill description. Unblockable attacks will ignore skills that block and traits or effects that trigger on blocking from activating. Traps are an example of unblockable skills.
Blocking targets destroy all projectiles they come in contact with - this means projectiles with Pierce, or projectiles that don't directly do damage (e.g. Infiltrator's Arrow) can be effectively bodyblocked by a target who's blocking. Certain projectiles (such as Captain Mai Trin's electric blast) cannot be blocked.
Projectile destruction is an effect similar to blocking that nullifies affected projectile attacks when struck, removing them from the field. Effects that destroy projectiles have no effect on melee, ground, or other attack types and also do not trigger effects which profit from blocking.
- 1 Related skills
- 2 Related traits
- 3 Related equipment
- 4 Projectile destruction
- 5 See also
Weapon skills that block
- Protector's Strike
- Shield of Wrath
- Warding Rift
- Crystal Hibernation
- Shield Stance
- Static Shield
- Shock Shield
- Illusionary Counter
- Illusionary Riposte
- Echo of Memory
- Deja Vu
Underwater weapon skills that block
Healing skills that block
Utility skills that block
Skills with special conditions that block
Traits that improve blocking
- Communal Defenses — Blocking an attack grants aegis to nearby allies.
- Might of the Protector — Gain might when you block attacks.
- Shield Master — Reflect missiles whenever you are blocking. Gain might when you block an attack. Shield skills recharge faster.
Traits that profit from blocking
- Invigorated Bulwark — Increase your outgoing healing each time you block an attack. Mace skills gain reduced recharge and their boons gain increased duration.
- Defender's Dogma — Blocking an attack causes Justice to reach its maximum charge and reduces the cooldown of Spear of Justice by 3 seconds.
- Hunter's Fortification — Remove conditions when blocking attacks. Receive less damage when you have no conditions on you.
- Mental Defense — Cast Lesser Phantasmal Defender on your attacker when you successfully block or evade an attack.
Traits that profit from being blocked
- Malicious Reprisal — When you block or one of your attacks is blocked, your next attacks will be unblockable and deal increased damage.
Upgrade components that improve blocking
- Superior Rune of the Guardian (rank 6) - cause burning when blocking
- Superior Rune of the Defender (rank 6) - gain health.
- See also: Reflect
These skills nullify projectile attacks but will not block non-projectile attacks. They will also not activate any traits, runes or effects that require an attack to be blocked.
- Weapon skills that block projectiles
- Shield of Absorption
- Zealot's Defense
- Deflecting Shot (only within line of fire)
- Field of the Mists
- Sniper's Cover
- Swirling Winds
- Ring of Earth (lasts ~2 seconds)
- Phantasmal Warden
- Tides of Time
- Skills with special conditions that block projectiles
- Underwater weapon skills that block projectiles
- Utility skills that block projectiles
- Protective Solace
- Defense Field (Tool belt skill; requires Bulwark Gyro)
- Smoke Screen
- Seal Area
- Corrosive Poison Cloud
- Sublime Conversion (converts projectiles into healing bolts)
- Elite Skills that block projectiles