Energy functions similarly to the thief's initiative mechanic, although many of the revenant's skills still have a recharge time. Most skills (except auto-attacks) have an energy cost, ranging from 4 to 50. While out of combat, energy cannot go over 50%, and any energy over 50% is lost immediately upon leaving combat. While in combat, energy is able to drop to 0% and increase to 100%.
Energy is replenished over time as indicated by the arrows to the left and right of the energy indicator. Each arrow indicates how many percentage units are gained or lost per second. When swapping to a new legend, the energy pool is instantly reset to 50%. As this is the only way to regain energy other than natural replenishment (or by using Ancient Echo), players will often swap legends when they have depleted their energy.
Certain revenant skills can be activated indefinitely, but, while active, they have an upkeep cost which acts as a negative modifier to the energy regeneration rate. If a skill would cause you to have more than -10 upkeep (-5 total regen), it cannot be activated. If energy reaches 0%, even if total regen is positive, all upkeep skills will end and go on recharge for 5 seconds.
Skills with upkeep:
- Vengeful Hammers (-6)
- Embrace the Darkness (-6)
- Protective Solace (-6)
- Impossible Odds (-6)
- Facet of Light (-1)
- Facet of Darkness (-2)
- Facet of Elements (-1)
- Facet of Strength (-2)
- Facet of Chaos (-4)
- Facet of Nature (-2)
- Soulcleave's Summit (-8)
Every arrow to the sides of the energy indicator refers to a single percentage unit of energy regenerated per second.
- Without using any upkeep skills, the rate of energy regeneration is 5% (default), indicated by 5 filled arrows pointing right. It takes 10 seconds to reach 100% from the base of 50% (such as from entering combat), or 20 seconds to 100% from zero energy.
- By activating Impossible Odds, the rate of energy regeneration is -1%, indicated by 1 arrow highlighted pointing left. Adding the cost of the skill - 5% - it takes 45 seconds to drain starting from 50% energy, or 95 seconds from 100% energy.
- By activating Facet of Strength, Facet of Darkness and Facet of Elements (2%, 2% and 1% upkeep respectively), energy regeneration is at 0, neither draining nor refilling.
Traits that improve Energy
- Replenishing Despair (Corruption) — While maintaining an upkeep skill, your energy pips are increased, but you apply torment to yourself every interval.
- Steadfast Rejuvenation (Retribution) — Heal every second for each point of upkeep currently in use.
- Rapid Flow (Invocation) — Heal yourself and gain swiftness when you use a skill that has an energy cost.
- Charged Mists (Invocation) — Invoking a legend while at or below the energy threshold grants extra energy to your new legend.
- Rising Momentum (Herald) — Gain increased movement speed for each point of upkeep currently in use.
- Hardening Persistence (Herald) — Strike damage taken is reduced for each point of upkeep currently in use. Shield skills remove conditions.
- Forceful Persistence (Herald) — Deal increased strike damage with active upkeep skills. Herald upkeep skills grant less damage but can be stacked.
- Introducing Guild Wars 2's New Profession: The Revenant Polygon.com
- Guild Wars 2 Previews: An Exclusive Preview of the Revenant’s Skills MMORPG.com