Initiative is a profession mechanic of Thief. It replaces the recharge time of Thief's weapon skills, which instead use Initiative points as a resource for their activation. Initiative passively self-replenishes over time at one point every second; some skills and traits also restore a number of initiative points.
Thief has a base of 12 initiative points (15 with the trait Preparedness) which serve as a combined resource pool for all weapon skills. Whenever a weapon skill is used, it will consume a certain number of initiative from the available pool. The "Initiative cost" of a skill is indicated in its tooltip.
Initiative allows Thieves to use their weapon skills in quick succession for high bursts of damage, limited only by the resource pool size. Combined with the high mobility of the profession, it enables the Thief's playstyle of dropping in and out of combat, dealing damage in that short timeframe.
Skills which use initiative
|Weapon||Equipped in||Skill||Initiative cost|
|Off hand||Dancing Dagger||3|
|Cloak and Dagger||5|
|Pistol||Main hand||Bola Shot||3|
|Off hand||Head Shot||4|
|Sword||Main hand||Infiltrator's Strike||3|
|Short bow||Both hands||Cluster Bomb||3|
|Disabling Shot||4 (PvE)|
|Choking Gas||4 (PvE)|
|Infiltrator's Arrow||6 (PvE)|
|Staff||Both hands||Weakening Charge||3|
|Debilitating Arc||4 (PvE)|
|Rifle||Both hands|| Skirmisher's Shot
| Double Tap
Three Round Burst
|Death's Retreat||4 (PvE)|
|Main weapon||Off-hand weapon||Skill||Initiative cost|
|Dagger||Dagger||Death Blossom||4 (PvE)|
|Pistol||Shadow Shot||4 (PvE)|
|Pistol||Pistol Whip||5 (PvE)|
Skills which restore initiative
Utility skills which restore initiative
Stolen skills which restore initiative
- Eat Egg — 8
Traits that restore Initiative
- Signets of Power (Critical Strikes) — Signets grant initiative.
- Shadow's Rejuvenation (Shadow Arts) — Gain initiative when you enter or exit stealth.
- Upper Hand (Acrobatics) — Gain initiative and regeneration when you evade an attack.
- Kleptomaniac (Trickery) — Stealing gives you initiative.
- Quick Pockets (Trickery) — Gain initiative on swapping weapons while in combat.
- Maleficent Seven (Deadeye) — Increase the maximum malice-stack count. Restore initiative and gain boons upon reaching the maximum number of malice stacks.
Traits that improve Initiative
- Assassin's Reward (Acrobatics) — Heal yourself whenever you use a skill that uses initiative. Heal yourself for each point of initiative spent.
- Preparedness (Trickery) — Increases maximum initiative by 3. Gain increased expertise.