Guardians are devoted fighters who protect their allies and smite their enemies by drawing from the power of their virtues. True guardians are brilliant tacticians and selfless defenders who know when to sacrifice their own defenses to empower their allies to achieve victory.
- Guardians specialize in protective and defensive magic. A deep sense of loyalty to their allies fuels their passion and power. As a soldier profession, guardians wear heavy armor.
The Guardians' unique abilities are Virtues. Virtues provide passive effects to the Guardian; when activated they provide various effects for nearby allies as well. Guardians have 3 distinct virtues which can be further augmented through traits for more powerful effects.
- Virtue of Justice - Virtue: Burn foes every few attacks. Activate: You and your allies inflict burning on the next attack.
- Virtue of Resolve - Virtue: Regenerates health. Activate: Heal yourself and nearby allies.
- Virtue of Courage - Virtue: Gain aegis periodically. Activate: Grant aegis to yourself and nearby allies.
The Guardian has a reputation for being the most durable profession in the game, due to their virtues and many utility and elite skills which focus on the use of boons, active defense, and protecting of allies in general.
Virtues have been said to help balance the guardian; for example, they have a lower base health than the warrior profession but compensate for this with their higher health regeneration granted by Virtue of Resolve.
Unique skill types
- Symbols — these ground-based skills inflict damage to enemies and deliver a benefit to allies. Symbols persist for a few seconds and then dissipate. All symbols provide Combo Field: Light.
- Wards — a temporary line or ring on the ground that only pushes enemies that attempt to cross it (negated by Stability).
- Spirit Weapons — summon weapons that follow the guardian and can fight or aid, while also being able to be commanded for an additional effect.
- Consecration — these abilities focus on providing condition removal, projectile defense and control for the guardian and its allies.
The guardian has five core specializations, and two elite specializations:
- Zeal — Focuses on increasing damage and applying vulnerability. Enhances greatsword, scepter, and spirit weapon skills.
- Radiance — Focuses on burning, critical hits, and retaliation; based on Virtue of Justice. Enhances sword, torch, and signet skills.
- Valor — Focuses on blocking and toughness; based on Virtue of Courage. Enhances focus, shield, and meditation skills.
- Honor — Focuses on dodging, healing, and protection; based on Virtue of Resolve. Enhances mace, staff, and symbol and shout skills.
- Virtues — Focuses on virtues and retaliation. Enhances hammer, consecration, and virtue skills.
- Dragonhunter — Gains access to longbows, a set of trap skills, and replaces the active virtues with ones that manifest in a physical form.
- Firebrand — Gains access to axes, a set of mantra skills, and replaces the active virtues with Tomes.
The guardian is a soldier profession and wears heavy armor.
There are twelve possible weapon sets for this profession and two weapon sets while underwater. The guardian can equip and alternate between two weapon sets during combat starting at level 10.
- Greatsword — Offensive melee weapon for dealing high area damage, pulling multiple foes and enhancing allies.
- Hammer — Defensive melee weapon capable of protecting allies with area damage, protection and enemy-warding.
- Longbow — Offensive long-range weapon, used to enhance allies or burn and control enemies (Dragonhunter specialization only)
- Staff — Supportive weapon that can be used to heal and enhance allies, or ward away enemies.
- Axe — Offensive melee weapon that can pull enemies and inflict conditions on foes. (Firebrand specialization only)
- Mace — Supportive melee weapon for healing allies and blocking attacks.
- Scepter — Offensive long-range weapon used to smite and immobilize foes.
- Sword — Balanced melee weapon with mobility and projectile defense options.
The following crafting disciplines can create items that are useful to the guardian:
- Weaponsmith — Greatswords, Hammers, Axes, Maces, Shields, Spears, Swords.
- Artificer — Foci, scepters, staves, tridents.
- Huntsman — Longbows, torches.
- Armorsmith — Heavy armor.
- Jeweler — Jewelry.
- Chef — Food.
|As a symbol of my dedication, I wear _____.|
|Conqueror's Pauldrons ("conqueror's pauldrons") — When I was young, a famed hero returning from battle stopped and gave me his pauldrons. Ever since, I've worn them as my own, and I make every attempt to live up to his legend. I too will be a conqueror.|
|Fanatic's Pauldrons ("fanatic's pauldrons") — Long ago, I determined my path, and nothing will sway me from it. I'm stalwart in my beliefs and immovable in my loyalties. The weight of my pauldrons reminds me of the burden I carry.|
|Visionary's Helm ("a visionary's helm") — Tyria is bigger than we know and filled with mystery. This helm is open, allowing me to see with clarity. With it, I will seek out the world's greater truths that others fear to explore.|
Guardian is one of the newer professions in Tyria, having evolved from a mixture of older, mainly human traditions, in particular the heavily-armored, supportive paragons of Elona and the deeply religious monks, who would often appeal to the human goddess Dwayna for the magical fortitude to heal their allies and smite enemies. Today, guardians can be found amongst all races, and as a result have moved away from this religious approach, wielding their magic in a more immediate, pragmatic manner than spellcasters.
- Notable guardians
- The guardian was previewed under this image until its unveiling on the 27th January 2011.
- The guardian was widely known among fans as "Blue Mace Lady" (or simply "BML") prior to being revealed, due to this concept art.
- The guardian was the first profession unveiled that is not present in the original Guild Wars.
- During early development the guardian had less magical ability and was called a "knight". As the other professions became more defined, the guardian received more magical type abilities, pulling in aspects of the Guild Wars monk and paragon professions.
- Guardian on the official website.