Blocking is a technique used to negate incoming attacks. A blocked attack deals no damage, and other effects that would have been applied on the target are also ignored. Some traits grant benefits when blocking, when you successfully block an attack, or when one of your own attacks gets blocked. Some skills are unblockable, which is listed in the skill description. Unblockable attacks will ignore skills that block and traits or effects that trigger on blocking from activating. Traps are an example of unblockable skills.
Blocking targets destroy all projectiles they come in contact with - this means projectiles with Pierce, or projectiles that don't directly do damage (e.g. Infiltrator's Arrow) can be effectively bodyblocked by a target who's blocking. Certain projectiles (such as Captain Mai Trin's electric blast) cannot be blocked.
- 1 Related skills
- 2 Related traits
- 3 Related equipment
- 4 See also
Weapon skills that block
- Protector's Strike
- Shield of Wrath
- Warding Rift
- Crystal Hibernation
- Shield Stance
- Static Shield
- Shock Shield
- Illusionary Counter
- Illusionary Riposte
- Echo of Memory
- Deja Vu
Underwater weapon skills that block
Healing skills that block
Utility skills that block
Skills with special conditions that block
These skills will not block non-projectile attacks. They will also not activate any traits, runes or effects that require an attack to be blocked.
- Weapon skills that block projectiles
- Shield of Absorption (only projectiles)
- Zealot's Defense (only projectiles)
- Deflecting Shot (only projectiles within its line of fire)
- Field of the Mists (only projectiles)
- Swirling Winds (only projectiles)
- Ring of Earth (only projectiles near it, lasts for ~2 seconds)
- Phantasmal Warden (only projectiles)
- Tides of Time (only projectiles)
- Skills with special conditions that block projectiles
- Death's Charge (from Reaper's Shroud, only projectiles)
- Underwater weapon skills that block projectiles
- Refraction (only projectiles)
- Utility skills that block projectiles
- Sanctuary (only projectiles)
- Protective Solace (only projectiles)
- Toss Elixir U (tool belt skill with Elixir U. Projectiles only, when it creates a Smoke Screen)
- Smoke Screen (only projectiles)
- Corrosive Poison Cloud (only projectiles)
- Elite Skills that block projectiles
Traits that grant blocking
Traits that improve blocking
- Amplified Wrath — Burning damage is increased. Burn enemies whose attacks you successfully block.
- Might of the Protector — Gain might when you block attacks.
- Communal Defenses — Grant aegis to allies when you block an attack.
- Shield Master — Reflect missiles whenever you are blocking. Gain might when you block an attack. Shield skills recharge faster.
- Ineptitude — Interrupting a foe inflicts blind, and blinding a foe inflicts confusion.
Traits that profit from blocking
- Invigorated Bulwark — Increase your outgoing healing each time you block an attack. Mace skills gain reduced recharge and their boons gain increased duration.
- Defender's Dogma — Blocking an attack causes Justice to reach its maximum charge.
- Mental Defense — Cast Lesser Phantasmal Defender on your attacker when you successfully block or evade an attack.
Traits that profit from being blocked
- Malicious Reprisal — When you block or one of your attacks is blocked, your next attacks will be unblockable and deal increased damage.
Upgrade components that improve blocking
- Rune of the Guardian (rank 6) — cause burning when blocking
- Superior Rune of the Defender (rank 2) - gain 1 second of regeneration.
- Superior Rune of the Defender (rank 6) - gain health.