Blocking is a technique used to negate incoming attacks. A blocked attack deals no damage, no conditions, and no other special effects associated with the attack (e.g. teleportation). Some traits grant benefits during blocking, on a successful block, or when the owner gets blocked. Some skills are unblockable, a property that is listed in the skill description. Unblockable attacks ignore blocking which bypasses on-block effects. Traps are an example of unblockable skills.
Blocking a projectile destroys it and nullifies all its effects, including projectiles with pierce and projectiles that deal no direct damage (e.g. Infiltrator's Arrow). Note that certain projectiles (such as Captain Mai Trin's electric blast) cannot be blocked.
Projectile destruction is an effect similar to blocking that nullifies affected projectile attacks when struck, removing them from the field. Effects that destroy projectiles have no effect on melee, ground, or other attack types and also do not trigger effects that profit from blocking.
- Protector's Strike — Mace
- Shield of Wrath — Focus
- Warding Rift — Staff
- Crystal Hibernation — Shield
- Counterblow — Mace
- Riposte — Sword
- Shield Stance — Shield
- Parry — Spear
- Static Shield — Shield
- Shock Shield — Hammer
- Counterattack — Greatsword
- Counterstrike — Spear
- Nine-Tailed Strike — Spear
- Illusionary Counter — Scepter
- Illusionary Riposte — Sword
- Deja Vu — Shield
- Echo of Memory — Shield
Profession mechanic skills
Traits that improve Block
- Communal Defenses (Valor) — Blocking an attack grants aegis to nearby allies.
- Might of the Protector (Valor) — Gain might when you block attacks.
- Invigorated Bulwark (Honor) — Increase your healing to other allies each time you block an attack. Mace skills gain reduced recharge and their boons gain increased duration.
- Defender's Dogma (Dragonhunter) — Blocking an attack causes justice to reach its maximum charge and reduces the cooldown of Spear of Justice.
- Hunter's Fortification (Dragonhunter) — Remove conditions when blocking attacks. Receive less damage when you have no conditions on you.
- Shield Master (Defense) — Reflect missiles whenever you are blocking. Gain might when you block an attack or reflect a missile. Shield skills gain reduced recharge.
- Spiked Armor (Defense) — Gain retaliation when you block or are struck by a critical hit. Retaliation gives you damage reduction.
- Flow like Water (Water) — Deal increased damage when your health is above the threshold. Blocking or evading an attack heals you.
- Mental Defense (Inspiration) — Cast Lesser Phantasmal Defender on your attacker when you successfully block or evade an attack.
Upgrade components that improve blocking
- Superior Rune of the Guardian (rank 6) - cause burning when blocking
- Superior Rune of the Defender (rank 6) - gain health.
- See also: Reflect
These skills nullify projectile attacks but have no effect on non-projectile attacks. They do not activate on-block effects.
- Weapon skills that block projectiles
- Shield of Absorption
- Zealot's Defense
- Deflecting Shot (only within line of fire)
- Field of the Mists
- Sniper's Cover
- Swirling Winds
- Ring of Earth (lasts ~2 seconds)
- Phantasmal Warden
- Tides of Time
- Skills with special conditions that block projectiles
- Underwater weapon skills that block projectiles
- Utility skills that block projectiles
- Protective Solace
- Defense Field (Tool belt skill; requires Bulwark Gyro)
- Smoke Screen
- Seal Area
- Corrosive Poison Cloud
- Sublime Conversion (converts projectiles into healing bolts)
- Elite Skills that block projectiles