Shattering is the primary profession mechanic of the mesmer profession. It consists of shatter skills occupying the - slots of the mechanic bar which are used to destroy any clones the mesmer has cast prior to shattering to cause a variety of effects like confusion or daze.
There are four shatter skills, all of which are instant-cast, have different cooldowns, and do not interrupt any action that the mesmer is performing. Activating any of them will cause all clones to run to their respective assigned targets and shatter, causing effects around each clone corresponding to the shatter skill used. The shatter effect also happens at the location of the caster if it was a mesmer or a mirage, chronomancers do not count for the purposes of Shatter skills and, hence, they can't use any Shatter skill without clones. Both Distortion and Continuum Split cause all clones to shatter immediately, without running towards their targets, and deal no damage. Shatter skills are more powerful the more clones the mesmer had active; for instance, Distortion will last longer for each shattered clone.
Note that clones will move towards their own targets e.g. the foe the mesmer targeted when casting the illusion, and not the enemy who is currently being targeted by the mesmer while activating the shatter skill. The clones can still be killed while they are moving towards their targets, effectively preventing the shattering effect from being caused by that illusion.
List of shattering skills
|F1||Mind Wrack||12||Shatter. Destroy all your clones, damaging nearby foes. The shatter effect also occurs at your location.|
|F2||Cry of Frustration||25||Shatter. Destroy all your clones, confusing nearby foes. The shatter effect also occurs at your location.|
|F3||Diversion||38||Shatter. Destroy all your clones, dazing their targets. The shatter effect also occurs at your location.|
|F4||Distortion||50||Shatter. Gain distortion and destroy all your clones, gaining additional distortion for each one shattered.|
|F1||Split Second||12||Shatter. Destroy all your clones, damaging nearby foes. Strikes again after a delay.|
Shatter traits only affect the first strike of this skill.
|F2||Rewinder||30||Shatter. Destroy all your clones, confusing nearby foes and recharging this skill for each clone shattered.|
|F3||Time Sink||38||Shatter. Destroy all your clones, dazing and slowing their targets.|
|F4||Continuum Split||105||Destroy all your clones and create a rift in the space-time continuum. When it expires, you will revert back to your original point with your previous health, endurance, and skill recharges. Duration increases with each illusion shattered.|
This skill's recharge cannot be reset by other mesmer skills.
|F4||Continuum Shift||Revert back to the previous timeline. Your health, endurance and cooldowns are reverted to their previous states. You are transported back prematurely if the rift is destroyed.|
- Rending Shatter (Domination) — Shatter skills inflict vulnerability on hit.
- Shattered Concentration (Domination) — Shatter skills also remove a boon on hit.
- Mental Anguish (Domination) — Shatter skills deal more damage. This bonus damage is doubled against foes that are not activating skills.
- Bountiful Disillusionment (Chaos) — Gain stability when you use a Shatter skill. Gain an additional boon based on which Shatter is used.
- Restorative Illusions (Inspiration) — Heal yourself and lose conditions when you use a Shatter skill.
- Maim the Disillusioned (Illusions) — Shatter skills inflict torment on hit.
- Master of Misdirection (Illusions) — Shatter skills gain recharge reduction.
- Master of Fragmentation (Illusions) — Your Shatter skills are improved.
- Time Catches Up (Chronomancer) — Activating a Shatter gives your illusions superspeed. Shatters deal increased damage to movement-impaired foes.
- Flow of Time (Chronomancer) — Gain alacrity for each clone you shatter.
- Illusionary Reversion (Chronomancer) — Shatter skills generate a clone if you have enough clones present.
- Seize the Moment (Chronomancer) — Gain quickness for each clone you shatter. Nearby allies also gain quickness.
- Riddle of Sand (Mirage) — When entering combat, your first Ambush attack applies confusion. This ability refreshes when you use a Shatter skill.
- Nomad's Endurance (Mirage) — Shatter skills give vigor, and vigor grants condition damage.
- Clones do not carry out the command to shatter if the target dies before they are able to shatter, even in melee range; and if the shatter skill was used prior to the target's death, the function still fails in this situation.
- The clone(s) will play the Shatter animation if their target dies, even if they weren't shattered.
- The shatter skills are unlocked at the following levels:
- In earlier iterations of the game, when Phantasms were not ephemeral and counted towards the maximum of three illusions that any mesmer could have active at any time, Shatter skills would shatter all illusions, meaning both clones and Phantasms.
- Nowadays, Phantasms are ephemeral and can't be Shattered.
- In earlier iterations of the game, mesmers didn't count themselves for Shattering skills. The functionality was later added with a trait called Illusionary Persona. The functionality was eventually added by default, and the trait removed. In 2019, chronomancers lost this functionality, and became unable to use Shatter skills without having any active clone(s). Their Shatter skills were changed to create additional effects as compensation.