- This article is about the core Thief profession mechanic. For the Daredevil profession mechanic, see Swipe. For the Deadeye profession mechanic, see Deadeye's Mark.
— In-game description [?]
Stealing is a mechanic unique to the thief profession. By using the steal skill ( on the Mechanic Bar), the character will shadow step to the enemy and steal an item from them. Stealing has no activation time and may be performed during other actions without interrupting the action, and can even be used while disabled. After an item has been stolen, it will be "pocketed" and will be stored in the skill until used.
Each enemy in the game has a small pool of possible items to steal. For example, a character may steal an egg from a moa and use it as a healing item, or steal feathers from it and use them to blind enemies and stealth themselves. Instead of a randomized pool of abilities, Raid Bosses and specific enemies in these encounters each have a special, powerful ability that can be stolen from a list of four options that can only be found in Raids. In PvP the stolen items are profession-specific, for example the thief can get a Whirling Axe from a warrior. Players don't lose items stolen from them; the thief just gains access to the associated stolen skill.
Most items that can be stolen can be found as bundles, and usually function in the same way. These ground items can interfere with stolen items, especially if the stolen item and the ground item are the same. Usually, the stolen skill will be lost if the bundle is used, and vice versa.
Benefits from and recharge of stealing don't require the steal to be successful. Using Steal without a target in range will disable the skill for the full recharge time and award any associated bonuses for stealing. Similarly, using Steal on inanimate objects will incur the full recharge time without awarding an item, but the bonuses will be activated, and the Mug trait will damage the target.
- Primary article: Stolen skill
|Mace Head Crack||Guardian||Daze your foe.|
|Essence Sap||Revenant||Throw energy at your target, slowing them.|
|Whirling Axe||Warrior||Spin and attack nearby foes. You can move while spinning.|
|Throw Gunk||Engineer||Throw gunk at target area to inflict a random condition.|
|Healing Seed||Ranger||Periodically grants regeneration and removes conditions from you and your allies.|
|Blinding Tuft||Thief||Throw a handful of hair, vanishing in stealth and blinding nearby foes.|
|Ice Shard Stab||Elementalist||Stab and chill your foe.|
|Consume Plasma||Mesmer||Gain all boons.|
|Skull Fear||Necromancer||Strike fear into nearby foes.|
Skills stolen from NPCs
|Blinding Tuft||Tuft of Hair||Throw a handful of hair, vanishing in stealth and blinding nearby foes.|
|Bone Crack||Bone||Stun your foe.|
|Branch Bash||Wooden Leg||Launch your foe, breaking the branch.|
|Club Shock Wave||Ettin Club||Smash the club on the ground, knocking down foes in a line in front of you.|
|Consume Plasma||Plasma||Gain all boons.|
|Drink||Elixir of Heroes||You become invulnerable.|
|Eat Egg||Griffon Egg||Restore health and initiative.|
|Essence Sap||Throw energy at your target, slowing them.|
|Exploding Venom Sack||Cover the target area in a poisonous cloud.|
|Healing Seed||Seed Pod||Periodically grants regeneration and removes conditions from you and your allies.|
|Ice Shard Stab||Corrupted Ice Shard||Stab and chill your foe.|
|Mace Head Crack||Daze your foe.|
|Rusty Scrap Strike||Rusty Scrap||Bleed, poison, and weaken your foe with a strike from your rusty scrap.|
|Shoot Rifle||Bombardment Target Marker||Shoot your foe, launching them back and making them vulnerable while pushing yourself back.|
|Skull Fear||Ancient Cursed Skull||Strike fear into nearby foes.|
|Throw Coral Shard||Coral Shard||Throw a coral shard at a foe to cause bleeding and vulnerability.|
|Throw Crystal Shard||Crystal Shard||Throw a crystal shard and bleed a foe.|
|Throw Feathers||Moa Feathers||Throw a handful of feathers to blind nearby foes. Stealth yourself.|
|Throw Gear||Gear||Throw the gear at your foe, stunning them.|
|Throw Gunk||Gunk||Throw gunk at target area to inflict a random condition.|
|Throw Lava Rock||Lava Rock||Throw a lava rock that burns your foe.|
|Throw Net||Underwater Net||Immobilize foes by throwing your net.|
|Throw Rock||Rock||Throw a rock to knock down your foe.|
|Throw Scale||Drake Scale||Throw the scale to bleed and poison your foe.|
|Tooth Stab||Tooth||Stab and bleed your foe.|
|Use Scepter||Use the scepter attack with a random effect. 50% chance to stun your target with a Lightning Whip. 50% chance to burn the area around you with an unblockable Flame Burst.|
|Use Staff||Use the staff to create random attacks. 50% chance to damage and stun foes with a Chain Lightning that strikes up to three foes. 50% chance to damage and burn a single foe with a Fireball.|
|Whirling Axe||Axe||Spin and attack nearby foes. You can move while spinning.|
Skills stolen from Raid Encounters
|Detonate Plasma||Grant boons to nearby allies.||
|Unstable Artifact||Shadowstep to a target location, immobilizing enemies in the area. If a downed ally is in that area, instead shadowstep them to you and partially revive them.|
|Soul Stone Venom||Venom. Use a corrupted soul stone to remove conditions on allies and apply a stack of venom for each condition removed. Allies that hit with this venom will initiate a strike that originates from the thief.|
|Throw Magnetic Bomb||Throw a bomb that continuously pulls enemies to its point of impact.|
- Serpent's Touch — Stealing inflicts poison. While in the downed state, your attacks apply poison.
- Mug — Deal damage and gain life when stealing. This attack cannot critically hit enemies.
- Improvisation — You can use stolen skills twice. Recharge one random equipped utility skill when you steal. Goes on cooldown regardless of if a utility skill is recharged.
- Swindler's Equilibrium — Successfully evading an attack while wielding a sword or spear recharges Steal. Swords and spears deal increased damage.
- Kleptomaniac — Stealing gives you initiative.
- Thrill of the Crime — When you Steal, you and all nearby allies gain fury, might, and swiftness for 10 seconds.
- Bountiful Theft — Stealing grants you and all nearby allies vigor. You rip boons from your target and grant them to nearby allies.
- Lead Attacks — Increases damage and condition damage per initiative spent. Steal gains reduced recharge time.
- Bewildering Ambush — Stealing also applies confusion.
- Sleight of Hand — Stealing also dazes the target. Reduces the recharge of Steal.
For a detailed skill history, see here.
|October 01, 2019||
|April 23, 2019|
|December 02, 2015||
|June 23, 2015|| Specialization update:
|March 16, 2015||
|September 10, 2014||
|July 01, 2014||
|April 15, 2014||
|June 25, 2013||
|March 26, 2013||
|August 28, 2012|| Game release:
- At one point during early development, stealing would force a bundle in the character's hands. This was accompanied by a trait which allowed the thief to "pocket" the stolen item, which later evolved into the stealing system as it functions today.