Confusion is a condition that deals damage each second and additional damage each time the affected target begins to activate a skill. The damage on skill activation is greater against NPCs than against players. Confusion stacks intensity. Like all damaging conditions, it will stack up to a maximum of 1500 times.“
Damage received on skill activation; stacks intensity.
— In-game description
Characters suffering from confusion can be identified by twirling, purple tinted spiral over their heads. Additionally, the same effect will appear alongside damage dealt by confusion when using a skill.
The formulae for confusion's damage are:
Damage over time:
(0.1 * Level) + 2damage per stack per second.
- 10 damage per stack per second at level 80.
Damage on skill activation (Player):
(0.0975 * Condition Damage) + (0.575 * Level) + 3.5damage per stack.
(0.0975 * Condition Damage) + 49.5damage per stack.
Damage on skill activation (NPC):
(0.195 * Condition Damage) + (1.15 * Level) + 3.5damage per stack.
(0.195 * Condition Damage) + 95.5damage per stack.
Confusion damage is applied on every skill activation, whether activated manually or automatically. For example, necromancers will take confusion damage when they create a Mark of Blood after dodging while equipped with the Mark of Evasion trait.
- See also: Condition#Related skills
Weapon skills that apply confusion
- Underwater weapon skills that apply confusion
Utility skills that apply confusion
Elite Skills that apply confusion
Profession mechanics that apply confusion
- Skull Grinder (primal burst with mace while in berserk)
- Confusing Speech (tool belt skill with Technobabble)
- Crippling Anguish (Iboga family common skill)
- Narcotic Spores (Iboga family common skill)
- Sonic Shriek (Juvenile Reef Drake unique skill)
- Throw Gunk (Forage (warthog); random)
- Crippling Anguish (with Juvenile Fanged Iboga while in beastmode)
- Narcotic Spores (with Juvenile Fanged Iboga while in beastmode)
- Throw Gunk (Stolen skill)
- Cry of Frustration
Skills that convert retaliation into confusion
- Primary article: Condition#Skills that convert boons into conditions
Downed skills that apply confusion
- Combo Field: Ethereal × Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile
- Combo Field: Ethereal × Combo Finisher: Whirl
- See also: Condition#Related traits
Traits that apply confusion
- Spontaneous Destruction — Use Lesser Banish Enchantment when striking a foe that has at least as many boons as the threshold.
- Ineptitude — Interrupting a foe inflicts blind, and blinding a foe inflicts confusion. This trait can only activate on enemies with defiance bars once per interval.
- Riddle of Sand — When entering combat, your first Ambush attack applies confusion. This ability refreshes when you use a Shatter skill.
Traits that remove confusion
- Guarded Initiation — Remove conditions when striking an enemy while your health is above the threshold.
- Pain Response - Gain regeneration and remove conditions when struck while your health is below the threshold.
Traits that convert retaliation into confusion
- Primary article: Condition#Traits that convert boons into conditions
Effects that confuse
- Chaos Aura (randomly when struck)
- See also: Condition#Related equipment
Upgrade components that affect confusion
- Superior Rune of Perplexity (rank 2, 4, & 6 – increase duration)
When confusion is applied to a character they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura||My mind is scrambled!||Where am I?|
|Charr||I can't remember my orders!||Can't remember my orders!|
|Human||Where am I?||What's going on?|
|Norn||Is this... a dream?||How many ales have I had?|
|Sylvari||Everything's so blurry.||Oh, what's happening?|
|March 05, 2019||
|May 08, 2018||
|February 06, 2018||
|August 09, 2017||
|February 22, 2017||
|June 23, 2015|| Specialization update:
|January 27, 2015||
|June 25, 2013||
|April 30, 2013||
|August 28, 2012|| Game release:
- This condition was changed to also deal damage each second in the June 23, 2015 game update.
- It is one of the few condition damage types that no enemies are immune against. The others are Bleeding and Torment.