Damage received on skill activation; stacks intensity.
— In-game description
Confusion is a condition that deals damage each second and additional damage each time the affected target begins to activate a skill. The damage on skill activation is greater against NPCs than against players. Confusion stacks intensity. Like all damaging conditions, it will stack up to a maximum of 1500 times.
Characters suffering from confusion can be identified by twirling, purple tinted spiral over their heads. Additionally, the same effect will appear alongside damage dealt by confusion when using a skill.
The formulae for confusion's damage are:
Damage over time:
(0.1 * Level) + 2damage per stack per second.
- 10 damage per stack per second at level 80.
Damage on skill activation (Player):
(0.0975 * Condition Damage) + (0.575 * Level) + 3.5damage per stack.
(0.0975 * Condition Damage) + 49.5damage per stack.
Damage on skill activation (NPC):
(0.195 * Condition Damage) + (1.15 * Level) + 3.5damage per stack.
(0.195 * Condition Damage) + 95.5damage per stack.
Confusion damage is applied on every skill activation, whether activated manually or automatically. For example, necromancers will take confusion damage when they create a Mark of Blood after dodging while equipped with the Mark of Evasion trait.
- See also: Condition#Related skills
- Static Shot — Pistol
- Magic Bullet — Pistol
- Confusing Images — Scepter
- Phantasmal Mage — Torch
- Chaos Armor — Staff
- Phantasmal Whaler — Trident
- Axes of Symmetry — Axe
- Ether Barrage — Scepter
- Wave of Panic — Trident
Utility skills that apply confusion
Elite skills that apply confusion
Profession mechanic skills that apply confusion
- Skull Grinder — Mace, Primal Burst
- Confusing Speech — Tool belt
- Crippling Anguish
- Narcotic Spores
- Throw Cursed Artifact — Stolen skill
- Cry of Frustration — Shatter
- Rewinder — Shatter
Racial skills that apply confusion
Skills that convert retaliation into confusion
- Primary article: Condition#Skills that convert boons into conditions
- Combo Field: Ethereal × Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile
- Combo Field: Ethereal × Combo Finisher: Whirl
Common skills that apply confusion
- Anchor Bash — Dimensional Anchor
- Anchor Smash — Dimensional Anchor
- Anchor Swing — Dimensional Anchor
- Create Distraction — Order of Whispers Spy Kit, Spy Kit
- Jack-o'-Lantern Smash — Jack-O'-Lantern
- Lightning Surge — Malfunctioning Staff
- Pumpkin Smash — Pumpkin (bundle)
- Rally Missile 2.0 — Rocket Jump\Parachute 2.0
- Rally Missile — Rocket Jump\Parachute
- Shoot — Overminer's Boomstick
- Shoot — Sonic Rifle
- Smash — Furniture
- Smash — Special Jug
- Smash — Special Pot
- Spirit Nova
- Spirit Nova
- Staggering Kick — Drysdan Transformation (Moa), Moa Battle Form
- Throw — Cow Pie
- Throw Unstable Bloodstone Fragment — Unstable Bloodstone Fragment
Skills that remove confusion
- See also: Condition#Related traits
Traits that apply confusion
- Bewildering Ambush (Trickery) — Stealing also applies confusion.
- Ineptitude (Dueling) — Interrupting a foe inflicts blind, and blinding a foe inflicts confusion. This trait can only activate on enemies with defiance bars once per interval.
- Riddle of Sand (Mirage) — When entering combat, your first Ambush attack applies confusion. This ability refreshes when you use a Shatter skill.
Traits that remove confusion
- Shadow's Embrace (Shadow Arts) — Remove conditions periodically while in stealth.
- Pain Response (Acrobatics) — Gain regeneration and remove conditions when struck while your health is below the threshold.
Traits that convert retaliation into confusion
- Primary article: Condition#Traits that convert boons into conditions
Effects that confuse
- Chaos Aura (randomly when struck)
- See also: Condition#Related equipment
Upgrade components that affect confusion
- Superior Rune of Perplexity (rank 2, 4, & 6 – increase duration)
When confusion is applied to a character they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura||My mind is scrambled!||Where am I?|
|Charr||I can't remember my orders!||Can't remember my orders!|
|Human||Where am I?||What's going on?|
|Norn||Is this... a dream?||How many ales have I had?|
|Sylvari||Everything's so blurry.||Oh, what's happening?|
|March 05, 2019||
|May 08, 2018||
|February 06, 2018||
|August 09, 2017||
|February 22, 2017||
|June 23, 2015||Specialization update:
|January 27, 2015||
|June 25, 2013||
|April 30, 2013||
|August 28, 2012||Game release:
- This condition was changed to also deal damage each second in the June 23, 2015 game update.
- It is one of the few condition damage types that no enemies are immune against. The others are Bleeding and Torment.