Confusion is a condition that deals damage each second and additional damage each time the affected target begins to activate a skill. The damage on skill activation is greater against NPCs than against players. Confusion stacks intensity. Like all damaging conditions, it will stack up to a maximum of 1500 times.“
Damage received on skill activation; stacks intensity.
— In-game description
Characters suffering from confusion can be identified by twirling, purple tinted spiral over their heads. Additionally, the same effect will appear alongside damage dealt by confusion when using a skill.
The formulae for confusion's damage are:
Damage over time:
(0.1 * Level) + 2damage per stack per second.
- 10 damage per stack per second at level 80.
Damage on skill activation (Player):
(0.0975 * Condition Damage) + (0.575 * Level) + 3.5damage per stack.
(0.0975 * Condition Damage) + 49.5damage per stack.
Damage on skill activation (NPC):
(0.195 * Condition Damage) + (1.15 * Level) + 3.5damage per stack.
(0.195 * Condition Damage) + 95.5damage per stack.
Confusion damage is applied on every skill activation, whether activated manually or automatically. For example, necromancers will take confusion damage when they create a Mark of Blood after dodging while equipped with the Mark of Evasion trait.
- See also: Condition#Related skills
Weapon skills that confuse
Underwater weapon skills that confuse
Utility skills that confuse
Elite Skills that confuse
Skills with special conditions that confuse
- Skull Grinder (primal burst with mace while in berserk)
- Concussion Bomb (with Bomb Kit)
- Confusing Speech (tool belt skill with Technobabble)
- Pry Bar (with Tool Kit)
- Sonic Shriek (with Juvenile Reef Drake)
- Crippling Anguish (with Juvenile Fanged Iboga)
- Narcotic Spores (with Juvenile Fanged Iboga)
- Crippling Anguish (with Juvenile Fanged Iboga while in beastmode)
- Narcotic Spores (with Juvenile Fanged Iboga while in beastmode)
- Throw Gunk (Warthog pet)
- Throw Gunk (Stolen skill)
- Cry of Frustration (shatter)
- Ether Barrage (while under the effect of Mirage Cloak)
- Wave of Panic (while under the effect of Mirage Cloak)
- Dark Pact (when removing retaliation)
- Unholy Feast (when removing retaliation)
- Feast of Corruption (when removing retaliation)
- Enfeebling Blood (when removing retaliation)
- Corrupt Boon (when removing retaliation)
- Well of Corruption (when removing retaliation)
- Nightfall (when removing retaliation)
Downed skills that confuse
- Combo Field: Ethereal × Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile
- Combo Field: Ethereal × Combo Finisher: Whirl
Healing skills that remove confusion
- See also: Condition#Related traits
Traits that apply confusion
- Spontaneous Destruction — Use Lesser Banish Enchantment when striking a foe that has boons equal to or greater than the threshold.
- Merciless Hammer — Deal increased damage with a hammer when attacking a foe that is dazed, knocked down, launched, or stunned. Hammer skills gain reduced recharge. Inflict confusion when you interrupt enemy skills.
This trait can only confuse enemies with defiance bars once per interval.
- Bewildering Ambush — Stealing also applies confusion.
- Ineptitude — Interrupting a foe inflicts blind, and blinding a foe inflicts confusion.
This trait can only activate on enemies with defiance bars once per interval.
- Riddle of Sand — When entering combat, your first Ambush attack applies confusion. This ability refreshes when you use a Shatter skill.
Traits that remove confusion
- Guarded Initiation — Remove conditions when striking an enemy while your health is above the threshold.
- Pain Response - Gain regeneration and remove conditions when struck while your health is below the threshold.
Effects that confuse
- Chaos Armor (randomly)
- See also: Condition#Related equipment
Upgrade components that apply confusion
- Rune of Perplexity (rank 4 & 6)
Upgrade components that affect confusion
- Rune of Perplexity (rank 2 & 6 – increase duration)
When confusion is applied to a character they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura||My mind is scrambled!||Where am I?|
|Charr||I can't remember my orders!||Can't remember my orders!|
|Human||Where am I?||What's going on?|
|Norn||Is this... a dream?||How many ales have I had?|
|Sylvari||Everything's so blurry.||Oh, what's happening?|
|May 08, 2018||
|February 06, 2018||
|August 09, 2017||
|February 22, 2017||
|June 23, 2015|| Specialization update:
|January 27, 2015||
|June 25, 2013||
|April 30, 2013||
|August 28, 2012|| Game release:
- This condition was changed to also deal damage each second in the June 23, 2015 game update.
- It is one of the few condition damage types that no enemies are immune against. The others are Bleeding and Torment.