By harnessing the power of the sun, holosmiths can create semi-solid constructs of light. They wield swords in battle, and gain access to powerful light weapons in their volatile Photon Forge mode.
— Official site
- Holosmith is an elite specialization for the engineer, which gives them access to the Photon Forge mode and the heat mechanic. It also allows engineers to equip a sword in the main hand and use the exceed skill type.
List of holosmith skills
- See also: List of engineer skills
Photon Forge replaces the Holosmith's fifth toolbelt skill. Activating it grants a new set of weapon skills, which generate heat.
|Engage Photon Forge||1||Activate your Photon Forge, gaining access to new skills. Generate heat while Photon Forge is active. Take damage if you overheat. Disables use of kits for a short duration.|
|Deactivate Photon Forge||6||Cancel Photon Forge and begin cooling after a delay. Cooling effectiveness increases over time.|
|1||Light Strike||Swing a holographic blade.|
|Bright Slash||½||Slash with a blade of light energy.|
|Flash Cutter||½||Cleave through all foes in front of you twice.|
|2||Holo Leap||¾||2||Create a holographic launch pad and leap to your foe. The pad remains behind for a short duration, granting increased movement speed to allies who touch it.|
|3||Corona Burst||½||6||Strike nearby foes and begin to store up energy, gaining boons and heat each pulse. After charging, the energy explodes, inflicting conditions on nearby foes.|
|4||Photon Blitz||1½||10||Fire multiple piercing blasts at your target.|
|5||Holographic Shockwave||¾||15||Create a deadly holographic shockwave that launches foes upward. This attack always deals a critical hit.|
|1||Sun Edge||½||Strike your foe and inflict vulnerability. This attack deals more damage based on your heat level.|
|1||Sun Ripper||½||Strike your foe again and inflict vulnerability. This attack deals more damage based on your heat level.|
|1||Gleam Saber||¾||Unleash a burst of stored energy with your sword and recharge your other sword skills. This attack deals more damage based on your heat level.|
|2||Refraction Cutter||½||9||Strike at foes in front of you and launch a blade of light at your target. Launch extra blades based on your heat level. Each blade inflicts conditions.|
|3||Radiant Arc||¾||14||Leap to your target and create an arc of light that strikes nearby foes. Gain quickness based on your heat level.|
|Coolant Blast||Exceed||¾||20||Heal yourself and chill nearby foes. If you are above the heat threshold when this skill is activated, gain Frost Aura and continue healing for a duration|
|Cauterize||Tool belt||¾||30||Use a laser to burn off conditions and set yourself on fire for each condition removed. Removes additional conditions if above the heat threshold.|
|Spectrum Shield||Exceed||30||Break stun effects and create a holographic shell that reduces incoming damage. This skill recharges faster while above the heat threshold.|
|Flash Spark||Tool belt||40||Release a blinding burst of light from your holographic emitter. While above the heat threshold, gain light aura.|
|Hard Light Arena||Exceed||½||45||Create a holographic arena that grants you boons while inside of it. When activated above the heat threshold, the radius and duration are increased. Allies gain boons at reduced duration.|
|Prismatic Singularity||Tool belt||½||30||Collapse a ring of holograms to pull foes into a single point. The ring explodes when it fully collapses. Radius and pull distance increased while above the heat threshold.|
|Laser Disk||Exceed||¾||30||Create rotating laser blades to damage nearby foes. This skill has increased duration when activated while above the heat threshold.|
|Blade Burst||Tool belt||30||Fire holographic blades at foes within range. Damage increased while over the heat threshold.|
|Photon Wall||Exceed||¼||35||A defensive barrier appears in front of you that blocks you and your allies from incoming attacks. Reactivate Exceed to fire the barrier at foes as an attack. This skill grants projectile reflection if you are above the heat threshold.|
|Launch Wall||Exceed||½||½||Launch your photon wall forward, causing the wall to explode when it strikes a foe, inflicting conditions on nearby enemies. When fired above the heat threshold, launch additional walls.|
|Particle Accelerator||Tool belt||8||Fire a crippling bolt of light at your target. Allies the bolt passes through are granted swiftness. Projectile velocity increased while above the heat threshold.|
|Prime Light Beam||Exceed||1¼||60||Charge up and fire an explosive beam of light in front of you. When activated above the heat threshold, this attack leaves behind a burning holographic field.|
List of holosmith traits
|Minor Proficiency||Sword Proficiency||You can wield a sword in your main hand.|
|Minor Adept||Photon Projector||Photon Forge tool-belt skill. Gain access to Exceed skills.|
|Major Adept||Light Density Amplifier||Photon Forge reduces incoming damage but has increased passive heat generation.|
|Major Adept||Prismatic Converter||Deactivate Photon Forge converts conditions into boons based on your heat level.|
|Major Adept||Solar Focusing Lens||Your first few attacks after entering Photon Forge inflict burning and deal additional damage. This bonus is also granted if you overheat.|
|Minor Master||Heat Therapy|| Gain health per unit of heat lost.|
This trait does not function while cooling due to an overheat.
|Major Master||Crystal Configuration: Storm||Photon Forge skill 1 now fires explosive projectiles, but generates extra heat.|
|Major Master||Crystal Configuration: Eclipse||Corona Burst grants stability on each attack and creates a barrier for each target struck.|
|Major Master||Crystal Configuration: Zephyr||Holo Leap removes movement-impairing conditions and grants superspeed instead of swiftness.|
|Minor Grandmaster||Laser's Edge||While photon forge is active and you are above the heat threshold, your outgoing damage is increased.|
|Major Grandmaster||Thermal Release Valve|| Dodge rolling vents heat as an attack against nearby foes.|
(Attack will not occur without heat.)
|Major Grandmaster||Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit||Increases maximum heat capacity. While above 100% heat, periodically gain might. Some skills and traits gain additional heat tiers.|
|Major Grandmaster||Photonic Blasting Module|| Overheating now blasts damage to nearby foes and no longer deals its initial damage to you. Heat cannot be lost except after you've overheated. Gain Heat Therapy and Laser's Edge after overheating.|
Damage over time from overheating is still applied.
List of holosmith equipment
- Specializations (Path of Fire achievements): Adept Holosmith — Begin training the engineer's holosmith elite specialization. (5)
- Specializations (Path of Fire achievements): Master Holosmith — Completely train the engineer's holosmith elite specialization. (10)
- Specialization Collections: The Cutting Edge — Collect these 14 items and skins to receive the holosmith's sword, The Cutting Edge. (3)
- The Holosmith does not have any traits that affect its utility skills because those are all built into the core mechanic of the heat system.
- Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit adds an additional heat tier to sword skills, effectively making it the "weapon" trait.
- Scarlet Briar, Elli, Moto, and Holomancer Netto have studied holomancy. The holosmith's elite skill, Prime Light Beam, references a skill used by Scarlet's Prime Hologram.
- Players wishing to learn more about the Holosmith can visit Baraz Sharifi in the Crystal Oasis.
- Each vertical trait line in the Holosmith fits a theme (other elite specializations tend to theme traits across horizontal lines). During development, the themes were steps to "build your own lightsaber." The final product shifted focus to the photon forge, where each vertical trait line concerns to a different component: the projector, crystal, and heat system.
- When activating Photon Forge, Holosmiths may shout "Light, come forth!", a reference to the Slayers in which one of the protagonists wields the Sword of Light.