- This article is about the skill type. For the Wintersday activity skill given to Mesmers, see Clone (Snowball Mayhem).
A clone is one of the two types of illusions created by the mesmer, primarily intended to distract the enemy: Clones mimic the appearance and basic behavior of the caster, but have significantly lower health and do relatively little damage. Upon creation, clones focus only on their targeted foe, persisting until the clone's target is defeated or the clone expires through damage, being shattered or being replaced by a new illusion.
- Clones are created by any skill with a type of clone.
- A clone is also created when a phantasm expires because its attack has been completed or interrupted.
- Unlike phantasms, clones display the same name and targeting badge as the mesmer who created them.
- They are affected by boons, area effects, and conditions, but not by environmental hazards such as lava.
- A clone's basic attack is the same as the caster's first weapon skill, e.g. Spatial Surge for clones created while wielding a greatsword. Clones have approximately 1 second of delay between attacks, meaning they attack slower than the player. All effects of attacks such as conditions caused by Winds of Chaos still apply.
- Clones summoned while holding a bundle will default to wielding a sword.
- Clones summoned while under a transformation that replaces one's weapon will sometimes replicate the skills of the transformation.
- Although base damage of clones is near zero, they can apply conditions and boons depending on traits selected and their attack skill. Their purpose is to distract opponents, attract aggro, and be shattered by the mesmer to produce damage and other effects.
List of clone skills
- See also: Illusions#Related skills
- Slot skills
- Weapon skills
- Axes of Symmetry — You and all your axe clones shadowstep to a random location around your target and strike, applying torment. This attack breaks enemy targeting, and your illusions change focus to the targeted foe.
- See also: Illusion#Related traits
- Clones summoned automatically, such as by Deceptive Evasion, target the enemy nearest to them upon creation.
| February 06, 2018
- Phantasms can no longer be shattered and no longer count toward your maximum illusion count. Phantasms are destroyed and then replaced by clones after completing their unique attack or if their attack is interrupted.
- Fixed a bug in which downed clones could persist after a rally. Fixed a bug in which downed clones could exceed the illusion limit.
| August 25, 2015
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to rally off mesmer clones.
| June 23, 2015
|| Specialization update:
- Summoned clones will now show your equipped off-hand weapon.
- Fixed a bug in which underwater clones did not show tridents.
| September 09, 2014
- Mesmer clones now spawn with the correct weapon even if the casting player swaps weapons.
| April 18, 2014
- Fixed a bug that caused Mesmer clones to receive rune bonuses from their master.
| February 05, 2014
- Fixed a bug in which mesmer clones and phantasms would shatter prematurely if their target went into stealth.
| October 01, 2013
- Enabling player nameplates now causes mesmer clone nameplates to display.
| June 25, 2013
- Mesmers can no longer create clones of siege golems.
| May 28, 2013
- Clones now attack ranger pets even if the ranger is out of range.
| April 30, 2013
- Decreased the clone base hit points by 25% in PvP and WvW.
- Increased the clone base hit points by 28% in PvE.
| March 01, 2013
- Mesmer clones in WvW once again display their weapons.
| December 17, 2012
- Fixed an issue where Mesmer clones and illusions would spawn in with no equipment during tournaments.
| October 22, 2012
- Fixed a crash when resurrecting a Mesmer clone created with the Deception skill.
| October 01, 2012
- Updated all phantasms and clones available to the mesmer to ensure they activate within their range.
| August 28, 2012
|| Game release:
- Clones have been added to the game.