A critical hit, also known as a critical strike, critical, or crit, is a mechanic that multiplies the direct damage of an attack. The chance of a critical hit is determined by the precision attribute and any bonuses to critical chance such as from fury or from certain skills and traits. Critical hits deal 150% damage by default, and this multiplier, known as critical damage, can be increased by the ferocity attribute. Some effects trigger specifically after a critical strike, including some from traits, sigils, or runes as listed below. Critical hit damage is displayed in larger text than ordinary damage and is highlighted with a red splash.
Only direct damage, not Condition Damage, can be a critical hit.
- 1 Formula
- 2 Related skills
- 3 Related traits
- 4 Related upgrade components
- 5 Average damage increase
- 6 Player chatter
- 7 Notes
- 8 See also
The expected average damage output is determined by the following formula:
Average damage = Base damage * ( 1 - Critical Chance ) + Base damage * ( Critical Chance * Critical Damage )
Re-factored, this simplifies to:
Average damage = Base damage * ( 1 + Critical Chance * ( Critical Damage - 1 ) )
Example: given a critical chance of 25% and critical damage of 180%, average damage output is 20% greater than normal.
Average damage = base * ( 1 + 0.25 * ( 1.8 - 1 ) ) = base * ( 1 + 0.25 * 0.8 ) = base * 1.2
Healing skills that cause critical damage
- Arcane Brilliance — Blast the area, hitting foes with critical damage and healing yourself. Healing effectiveness is increased per target hit.
Utility skills that cause critical damage
- Arcane Blast — Blast your foe with energy for critical damage.
- Arcane Power — You and nearby allies do critical damage with your next few attacks. Each stack of Arcane Power grants bonus ferocity.
- Arcane Wave — Blast foes in the target area with an energy wave for critical damage.
Skills with special conditions that cause critical damage
- Holographic Shockwave — Create a deadly holographic shockwave that launches foes upward. This attack always deals a critical hit. (from Photon Forge)
Traits that trigger on critical hits
- Empowering Might — You and nearby allies gain might when you land a critical hit.
- Glacial Heart — Critical hits with hammers chill enemies. Hammer recharge is reduced.
- Radiant Fire — Gain Zealot's Flame when you critically hit an enemy. Burning you inflict has increased duration, and your torch skills gain reduced recharge.
- Vigorous Precision — Gain vigor when you critically strike.
- Rampant Vex — Critical hits have a chance to cause torment.
- Ambush Commander — When you critically strike, or attack your enemies from behind or their flanks, you'll inspire yourself with Kalla's Fervor.
Gain access to Citadel Order abilities.
- Endless Enmity — Gain fury when you critically strike a foe below the health threshold.
- Axe Mastery — Get ferocity while wielding an axe in either hand. Axe skills gain reduced recharge and grant adrenaline when you critically strike with one.
- Forceful Greatsword — Gain might on a critical hit with a greatsword or spear. Greatsword and spear skills deal more damage and recharge faster.
- Furious — Critical hits grant bonus adrenaline and gain a stacking condition damage effect.
- Sundering Burst — Burst skills inflict vulnerability if they hit and inflict additional vulnerability if the attack is a critical hit.
Can only occur once per interval per target for multihit burst skills.
- Bloodlust — You have a chance to inflict bleeding on critical hits, and bleeds that you apply last longer.
- King of Fires — Increase the duration of burning you apply. Gain fire aura when you critically hit an enemy. Berserker skills detonate fire aura, damaging
- Bunker Down — Create a proximity mine and med kit at your location when you critically hit with an attack.
- Incendiary Powder — Critical hits inflict burning. Burning you apply lasts 33% longer.
- No Scope — Critical hits within the range threshold have a chance to grant fury. Fury grants you ferocity.
- Sharpshooter — Critical hits have a chance to cause bleeding.
- Potent Ally — You and your pet each grant might to the other when critically striking a foe.
- Sharpened Edges — Chance for you and the pet to cause bleeding on critical hits.
- Ankle Shots — Critical hits with pistols and harpoon guns have a chance to cripple foes. Pistol and harpoon attacks deal increased damage to crippled foes.
- Invigorating Precision — You are healed for a percentage of outgoing critical hit damage. This healing is increased while you are under the effects of fury.
- No Quarter — Landing a critical hit while under the effects of fury increases the duration of fury. Gain increased ferocity while under the effects of fury.
- Weakening Strikes — Cause weakness to enemies you critically hit. Weakened enemies deal less damage to you.
- Arcane Precision — Skills have a chance to apply a condition on critical hits.
- Burning Precision — Critical hits have a chance to cause burning, and burning lasts longer.
- Fresh Air — Recharge air attunement on a critical hit. Gain a ferocity boost when attuning to air.
- Renewing Stamina — Gain vigor when you deliver a critical hit.
- Raging Storm — Critically striking a foe grants fury. Gain ferocity while under the effects of fury.
- Critical Infusion — Gain vigor when delivering a critical hit.
- Sharper Images — Illusions inflict bleeding on critical hits.
- Lost Time — Gain a charge each time you score a critical hit. After enough charges, your next hit will slow your target and deal bonus damage.
- Barbed Precision — Critical hits have a chance to cause bleeding. Increases bleed duration.
- Weakening Shroud — Cast enfeeble when entering shroud. Critical hits inflict weakness.
- Chilling Nova — Critical hits against chilled foes causes an explosion that chills adjacent foes.
Traits with effects that cannot score critical hits
- Mug — Deal damage and gain life when stealing. This attack cannot critically hit enemies.
- Impacting Disruption — Enemies that you interrupt suffer a pulmonary impact.
This trait can only affect enemies with defiance bars once per interval.
Traits that trigger when critically hit
- Spiked Armor — Gain retaliation when you block or are struck by a critical hit. Retaliation gives you bonus toughness.
- Soothing Ice — Gain regeneration and frost aura when critically hit.
Traits that nullify critical hits on yourself
- Stone Heart — You cannot be critically hit while attuned to earth.
- Cloaked in Shadow - Gaining stealth blinds nearby foes. You cannot be critically hit while stealthed.
Related upgrade components
Upgrade components that trigger effects on critical hits
- Sigil of Air — chance to cause a Lightning Strike
- Sigil of Blood — chance to cause life stealing
- Sigil of Earth — chance to cause Bleeding
- Sigil of Fire — chance to cause a Flame Blast for AoE Damage
- Sigil of Generosity — chance to transfer a condition
- Sigil of Strength — chance to gain Might
- Superior Sigil of Blight — 60% chance to cause an area poison attack
- Superior Sigil of Incapacitation — 60% chance to inflict Crippled
- Superior Sigil of Nullification — 60% chance to remove a Boon
- Superior Sigil of Rage — chance to gain Quickness
- Superior Sigil of Torment — 50% chance to apply AoE torment
Average damage increase
The table below shows the average increase in damage from critical hits based on the chance to hit critically (rows) and the bonus Critical Damage from that attribute (columns). For example: if your critical chance is 20% and your critical damage is 155%, the 1.110 means that, over time, you will end up doing 11% more damage than if both attributes were zero.
| Critical Damage →
Critical Chance ↓
When a character hits a foe with a critical hit, they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura|| I've beaten you, but you don't know it yet.
For the record: you've been struck!
| How does that feel? Excruciating?|
I've got a lesson to teach you.
|Charr||Oh, that had to hurt.|| Feel the pain!|
Did that hurt?
|Human|| There's one to remember me by.
Oh, that had to hurt.
| Hurts, doesn't it?|
You'll be feeling that one for days.
|Norn||HAH! Extra damage!|
|Sylvari||Take that!||Give up yet?|
- As stated above, Condition Damage cannot critically strike.
- A character's chance of critical cannot become higher than 100%.