An illusion is a type of creature summoned by a mesmer that serves to draw aggro or do damage. They require a foe to be summoned and they will attack that foe until it, or the illusion, dies. If their target is not within their attack range the illusion will first walk into range before attacking. Mesmers can have different illusions attacking different targets by summoning them on said different targets separately.
- Phantasms: phantasm are semi-transparent ethereal creations focused on doing damage. Phantasms are created by Phantasm skills, be they weapon or utility skills. These illusions carry a weapon that depends on the ability that invokes them, and they have their own name, like Phantasmal Berserker. Phantasms are ephemeral, they are invoked to attack a target with their high damage, but disappear after performing their special attack. When they disappear, a clone appears automatically in their location. There is no limit to the number of Phantasms that a mesmer can invoke at one time.
- Clones: clones are perfect copies of the mesmer whose main function is to confuse enemies, who will not be able to differentiate the mesmer from their clones. Clones use the weapon that the mesmer carried at the time of their creation, and only use the basic attack chain to attack. Their damage and attack speed is very limited, and they are relatively fragile. Clones are created automatically when a Phantasm disappears or directly with Clone skills, be they weapon or utility skills. Clones last for as long as they have health and their target does not die or until the mesmer Shatters them. A mesmer can only have up to three clones at any time. Creating a new clone that exceeds this limit will first cause the oldest clone to disappear without effect.
- A mesmer can maintain up to three clones at a time, with the most recently created clone replacing the oldest one. Phantasms do not count towards this limit, but the illusions they create after attacking and disappearing do.
- A mesmer can summon illusions on different targets. If a target dies, the illusion assigned to it will die as well, but illusions summoned on another target remain functional.
- Phantasms will carry out the rest of their attack after their target dies, but they will leave no clone behind.
- Illusion's inherit most of their base attributes and stats from the summoner:
- Same as mesmer: Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Condition Duration, Boon Duration, Critical Damage, armor, and Healing Power. Illusions will benefit from the mesmer's might stacks, as well as any effects that increase the above stats.
- Not inherited from personal stats: Vitality, and secondary +(%Damage), +(%Critical Chance), or +(%Condition Damage); for example, Superior Sigil of Force, Superior Sigil of Bursting, Superior Sigil of Accuracy, Superior Rune of the Berserker (sixth bonus), or Superior Rune of the Ranger (sixth bonus) does not affect the Illusions.
- Illusion stats, which includes the ones that can not be inherited (health/vitality), can be modified by various skills, traits, boons, or conditions.
List of illusion skills
|2||Mirror Blade||Greatsword||¾||5||Throw an illusionary blade that creates a clone at its first target and then bounces to enemies and allies, dealing less damage to foes per hit and granting might to allies.|
|4||Phantasmal Berserker||Greatsword||¾||12||Phantasm. Throw an illusionary greatsword at your foe, removing boons from struck enemies. Create a phantasm that whirls through foes.|
|2||Phase Retreat||Staff||10||Clone. Teleport away from your target, summoning a clone that casts Winds of Chaos.|
|3||Phantasmal Warlock||Staff||¾||15||Phantasm. Summon illusions that deal damage and inflict vulnerability.|
|1||Ether Clone||Scepter||¾||Clone. Deliver a damaging attack directly to your target. Summon a clone that casts Ether Bolt. Inflict torment instead if you have the maximum number of illusions.|
|2||Illusionary Counter||Scepter||2||8||Clone. Block the next attack, and counter by inflicting torment and creating clones that cast Ether Bolt.|
|3||Illusionary Leap||Sword||½||12||Clone. Summon an illusion that leaps at your target, crippling them. After the initial leap, the clone will execute the Mind Slash sword chain.|
|4||Illusionary Riposte||Sword||2¼||12||Clone. Block your foe and create an illusion when attacked.|
|5||Phantasmal Swordsman||Sword||1||15||Phantasm. Perform a sword strike and create an illusion that attacks your foe. If the sword strike hits, you gain might.|
|5||Phantasmal Warden||Focus||½||20||Phantasm. Create a phantasm that throws axes at nearby targets and creates a defensive bubble, protecting itself and allies from projectiles.|
|4||Phantasmal Duelist||Pistol||½||20||Phantasm. Fire multiple crippling bullets at your target and summon an illusion that unloads its pistols on your target.|
|5||Phantasmal Mage||Torch||¾||30||Phantasm. Strike and burn nearby foes. Create an illusion that releases a massive wave of fire that burns, confuses, and interrupts foes.|
|2||Feigned Surge||Spear||1¾||8||Clone. Surge toward your foe, striking enemies on the way and creating a clone upon reaching your initial target.|
|3||Phantasmal Mariner||Spear||½||10||Phantasm. Perform an evasive strike and create an illusion that evades while attacking your foe in a flurry.|
|3||Imminent Voyage||Trident||¾||12||Clone. Retreat back, summoning a clone to attack your foe while granting chaos armor to nearby allies.|
|4||Phantasmal Whaler||Trident||½||5||Phantasm. Cast Siren's Call on nearby foes and create an illusion that confuses foes with a harpoon gun.|
|2||Deception||½||15||Clone. Shadowstep and create a downed clone of yourself to attack foes in range.|
|3||Phantasmal Rogue||½||8||Phantasm. Summon a phantasmal rogue that deals increased damage from behind. If the rogue hits, the recharge of this skill is reduced.|
|4||Echo of Memory||Shield||1½||30||Phantasm. Block incoming attacks for a short duration. If this skill fully channels, summon a phantasm that slows enemies and grants protection to allies. If an attack is blocked, Deja Vu is usable for a short time.|
|4||Deja Vu||Shield||1½||Phantasm. Block incoming attacks for a short duration. If this skill fully channels, summon a phantasm that slows enemies and grants protection to allies.|
|2||Lingering Thoughts||Axe||¾||¼||Spin forward and strike multiple times, inflicting conditions and leaving a mirage at your starting position. If an enemy is near the mirage when it expires, a clone is summoned.|
|Decoy||40||Clone. Gain stealth and summon an illusion to attack your foe.|
Virtuoso: Stock a blade.
|Mirror Images||30||Clone. Summon two clones to attack your foe.|
Virtuoso: Stock two blades.
|Phantasmal Defender||1||40||Phantasm. Summon an illusion that taunts your target and all nearby targets while blocking. When it finishes blocking, the illusion explodes, dealing increased damage for each attack it blocked.|
|Phantasmal Disenchanter||1||20||Phantasm. Summon an illusion that removes boons from targets it hits. This attack deals increased damage against foes without boons.|
- See also: Clone#Related skills
- Signet of the Ether — Signet Passive: Heal yourself whenever you summon an illusion. Signet Active: Heal yourself and reduce the recharge of phantasm skills. Virtuoso: Passive triggers when stocking a blade.
- Illusionary Ambush — Deception. You and all your illusions shadowstep to a random point around your target and gain Mirage Cloak. Illusions' actions are interrupted when they change focus to the targeted foe.
- Empowered Illusions (Domination) — Illusions deal increased strike damage.
- Vicious Expression (Domination) — You and your illusions deal increased strike damage to foes without boons. Disabling a foe removes boons from them. Disables include stun, daze, knockback, pull, knockdown, sink, float, launch, taunt, and fear.
- Sharper Images (Dueling) — Illusions inflict bleeding on critical hits.
- Illusionary Defense (Chaos) — Gain a stacking damage reduction whenever you summon an illusion. Virtuoso: Triggers when stocking a blade.
- Illusionary Inspiration (Inspiration) — Summoning an illusion heals all allies around you. Virtuoso: Triggers when stocking a blade.
- Compounding Power (Illusions) — Creating an illusion increases your outgoing damage and gives increased condition damage for a short duration. Virtuoso: Triggers when stocking a blade.
- Time Catches Up (Chronomancer) — Activating a Shatter gives your illusions superspeed. Shatters deal increased damage to movement-impaired foes.
- Danger Time (Chronomancer) — Gain additional critical-hit chance against slowed enemies. This bonus also applies to your illusions.
- Infinite Horizon (Mirage) — When you gain Mirage Cloak, your illusions also gain it.
Upgrade components affected by illusions
- Superior Rune of the Ranger (rank 6 - increases damage while you have illusion(s))
- Illusions immediately lose functionality when their target dies, but they might not dematerialize straight away.