From Guild Wars 2 Wiki
- After the arming time, the area at the end of the casting animation will be marked. The mark is only visible to the thief.
- The recharge of a preparation skill is independent of the trigger skill.
- Certain situations will cause a preparation to fail to arm, such as mounting. Detonating results in no effect and a full cooldown will incur.
List of preparation skills
|Prepare Pitfall||½||25||Preparation. Mark your current area with controlling magic, readying the location to crush enemies when Pitfall is released.|
|Pitfall||3||Unleash your pitfall on the area, knocking down foes and delivering constant damage over time.|
|Prepare Thousand Needles||½||30||Preparation. Mark your current area with inhibiting magic, readying the location to poison enemies.|
|Thousand Needles||3||Unleash a hail of needles that immobilizes enemies on impact and poisons the ground, inflicting conditions over time.|
|Prepare Seal Area||½||35||Preparation. Mark your current area with stifling magic, readying the location to seal enemies in.|
|Seal Area||3||Create an area that blocks projectiles and prevents enemies from entering or leaving.|
|Prepare Shadow Portal||½||60||Preparation. Mark your current area with shadow magic, which can be detonated.|
|Shadow Portal||3||Unleash shadow magic at your prepared location, creating a one-way portal for you and your allies. Allies traveling through the portal gain stealth. Weakens foes around the portal's exit.|
- Thief Preparation skills were released in the July 16th, 2019 game update, replacing thief trap skills.
- Prior to game release, the skill type Preparation was used by rangers and thieves.