Involuntary retreat; unable to act; stacks duration.
— In-game description
Fear is a condition that causes an enemy to be interrupted and run directly away from the player for a short period of time. It is primarily, but not exclusively, used by the necromancer profession. Characters suffering from fear will run directly away from the source of fear and have a dark green tinted skull appear over their heads. Fear counts as a control effect, meaning it can be cleared by both condition removal as well as stun breaks. Fear deals defiance bar damage at a rate of 100 per second.
- See also: Condition#Related skills
Weapon skills that fear
Transform skills that fear
- Doom — Death Shroud
- Ripple of Horror — Lich Form
- Wave of Fear — Death Shroud
- Terrify — Reaper's Shroud
Utility skills that fear
Profession mechanic skills that fear
Pet skills that fear
Downed skills that fear
Drowning skills that fear
Skills that convert stability into fear
- Primary article: Condition#Skills that convert boons into conditions
Racial skills that fear
Common skills that fear
- Eerie Whisper
- Fear Grenade — Lyan's Grenade Kit
- Flame Blast — Flame Ram
- Howl — Member of the Kennel
- Intense Flame Blast — Flame Ram
- Plant Scarecrow
- Skull Fear — Ancient Cursed Skull, Grawl Focus, Grawl Ritual Totem, Skull (bundle)
- Terrifying Screech
- Throw Overheated Scrap Cannon
- Torch Strike — Torch of Divine Fire
- Weakening Flame Blast — Flame Ram
- See also: Condition#Related traits
Traits that apply fear
- Rending Shade (Shadow Arts) — Steal boons from enemies you strike with stealth attacks. Striking a boonless foe with a stealth attack inflicts fear on nearby foes.
Traits that improve fear
- Dread (Spite) — Inflicting fear on a foe gives you boons. Shroud skill 3 partially recharges when you defeat foes.
- Terror (Curses) — Fear you inflict deals damage each second.
- Fear of Death (Soul Reaping) — Your fear effects have increased durations. Inflicting fear generates life force.
- Shivers of Dread (Reaper) — Whenever you inflict fear, you also chill.
- See also: Condition#Related equipment
Upgrade components that apply fear
- Superior Rune of the Sunless (rank 6)
Upgrade components that increase fear duration
- Superior Rune of the Necromancer (rank 6)
- Superior Rune of the Nightmare (rank 2)
- Reduction in duration of stun effects (such as that provided by Rune of Melandru) does not affect duration of fear; its duration is only affected by reduction or increase in Condition Duration.
- A player who has toggled Walk speed will travel less distance when Feared. Walk has no default key, but can be set in the keybinding options and toggled on when required.
- When fear is applied to a character they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura||Executing escape plan!||Flee, egress!|
|Norn||I must run!||What is possessing me?|
|Sylvari||Flee, and take shelter!||Nightmare!|
|July 07, 2015||
|April 02, 2015||
|March 19, 2015||
|December 14, 2012||
|October 22, 2012||
|August 28, 2012||Game release: