From Guild Wars 2 Wiki
Fear is a condition that causes an enemy to be interrupted and run directly away from the player for a short period of time. It is primarily, but not exclusively, used by the Necromancer Profession. Characters suffering from fear will run directly away from the source of fear and have a dark green tinted skull appear over their heads. Fear counts as a control effect, meaning it can be cleared by both condition removal as well as stun breaks. Fear deals defiance bar damage at a rate of 100 per second.“
Involuntary retreat; unable to act; stacks duration.
— In-game description
- See also: Condition#Related skills
Profession Mechanics that apply Fear
Weapon skills that apply fear
Utility skills that apply fear
Skills with special conditions that apply fear
- Fear (Shark auto-attacking pet skill)
- Terrifying Howl (Wolf user-activated pet skill)
- Ripple of Horror (with Lich Form)
- Doom (from Death Shroud)
- Wave of Fear (from Death Shroud, underwater)
- Terrify (with Infusing Terror from Reaper's Shroud)
- Skull Fear (stolen skill)
- Snarl (with Become the Wolf)
- Skills that convert Stability to Fear.
- Corrupt Boon (when removing stability)
- Feast of Corruption (when removing stability)
- Dark Pact (when removing stability)
- Enfeebling Blood (when removing stability)
- Unholy Feast (when removing stability)
- Well of Corruption (when removing stability)
- Nightfall (when removing stability)
Downed skills that apply fear
- See also: Condition#Related traits
Traits that improve fear
- Dread — Inflicting fear on a foe applies vulnerability. Deal increased damage to foes inflicted with fear.
- Terrifying Descent - When you fear a foe inflict torment. Cast Lesser Terrify when you take falling damage. Take less falling damage.
- Terror — Fear you inflict deals damage each second.
- Fear of Death — Your fear effects have increased durations. Inflicting fear generates life force.
- Shivers of Dread — Whenever you inflict fear, you also chill.
- See also: Condition#Related equipment
Upgrade components that apply fear
- Superior Rune of the Sunless (rank 6)
Upgrade components that increase fear duration
- Superior Rune of the Necromancer (rank 6)
- Superior Rune of the Nightmare (rank 2, 4, 6)
- Major Rune of the Nightmare (rank 2, 4)
- Minor Rune of the Nightmare (rank 2)
- Reduction in duration of stun effects (such as that provided by Rune of Melandru) does not affect duration of fear; its duration is only affected by reduction or increase in Condition Duration.
- A player who has toggled Walk speed will travel less distance when Feared. Walk has no default key, but can be set in the keybinding options and toggled on when required.
- When fear is applied to a character they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura||Executing escape plan!||Flee, egress!|
|Norn||I must run!||What is possessing me?|
|Sylvari||Flee, and take shelter!||Nightmare!|
|July 07, 2015||
|April 02, 2015||
|March 19, 2015||
|December 14, 2012||
|October 22, 2012||
|August 28, 2012|| Game release: