- This article is about the mesmer skill. For the trait skill that previously had the same name, see Lesser Phantasmal Defender.
|| This skill is split between game modes — select one to view:
— In-game description [?]
- See also: Phantasm#Related traits
- Summons a phantasm called Illusionary Defender wielding a shield and no weapon (but does damage).
- When used underwater, the activation is ½ second.
- Phantasms have their own unique weapon strength that is independent of the player's equipped weapon rarity. The defender has a weapon strength midpoint of 690.5.
For a detailed skill history, see here.
| May 22, 2018
- The tooltip for this skill now shows the correct damage the skill inflicts in PvE.
- Its damage has been reduced by 50% in PvP and WvW.
| February 06, 2018
- Phantasms can no longer be shattered and no longer count toward your maximum illusion count.
- Phantasms are destroyed and then replaced by clones after completing their unique attack or if their attack is interrupted.
- This skill taunts your target and all nearby foes for 3 seconds in PvE and for 1 second in PvP and WvW, then blocks attacks.
- After it has finished blocking, it explodes, dealing damage based on how many attacks it blocked.
- The phantasm now spawns closer to the caster's location.
- It no longer grants protection.
- The recharge has been increased to 40 seconds in PvE and 50 seconds in PvP and WvW.
| February 22, 2017
- The recharge of this skill has been reduced from 25 seconds to 20 seconds.
| October 18, 2016
- The casting time of this ability has been reduced from 1.5 seconds to 1 second.
| July 26, 2016
- This utility skill now applies protection for 4 seconds in a radius around the mesmer.
- The damage reduction from this illusion has been reduced from 50% to 33%.
| October 23, 2015
|| Heart of Thorns release:
- Phantasms: Fixed a bug in which incorrect damage values displayed in the skill facts.
| June 23, 2015
|| Specialization update:
- Phantasm damage has been increased by 15%.
- Updated the description of this skill to more accurately convey that it also absorbs damage directed at allies. Functionality has not been changed.
| January 27, 2015
- The cooldown on this skill has been reduced from 30 seconds to 25 seconds.
| May 20, 2014
- Updated the skill facts to have the appropriate damage indicator (separate from the general fix to minion skill damage).
| August 28, 2012
|| Game release:
- Phantasmal Defender has been added to the game.