Precision is a primary character attribute. It is used to calculate the derived attribute Critical Chance, which determines the character's chance of a critical hit against targets at the same level. The real chance to land critical hits is thus determined on a per-target basis; your chance of a critical hit is higher than displayed against targets below your level, but lower against targets above your level.
At level 80 where the primary Precision attribute is 1000, and 21 Precision grants 1% of Critical Chance (per the table below), the formula relating Precision to Critical Chance via the Hero Panel is:
Critical Chance (%) = 5 + [ (Precision - 1000) / 21 ]
In other words, the minimum Critical Chance is 5%, and Critical Chance increases by 1% for every 21 Precision above 1000. From the above equation, it follows 2995 precision is enough to reach the cap of 100% crit chance. This does not take into account flat critical chance effects such as fury (which reduces the value to 2575), Sigil of Accuracy, and many traits.
Precision required to increase critical chance by 1%
The amount of Precision required to increase critical chance by 1% increases as you level in a piecewise-linear fashion - increasing by 0.1 from levels 1-20, 0.2 from 21 to 40, 0.3 from 41 to 60, and 0.4 from 61 to 80.
Critical Chance (%) = 5 + [ (Precision - Primary_attribute_base) / precision_per_1%_critical_chance ]
- A character at level 2 has a base Precision of 44.
- They receive a bonus of
+2Precision from the Banner of Discipline effect, bringing their total Precision to
- From the table above, the level 2
- Their critical chance is therefore given by
5 + [ (46 - 44) / 1.2 ]which equates to
Utility skills that increase precision
- Banner of Discipline — Banner
- Signet of Fury — Signet
- Signet of Agility — Signet
- Conjure Lightning Hammer — Conjure
- Signet of Fire — Signet
Traits that increase precision
- Right-Hand Strength (Radiance) — Your precision is increased. Gain increased power while wielding a one-handed weapon in your main hand. Main-hand sword skills gain reduced recharge.
- Attacker's Insight (Spellbreaker) — Gain Insight when disabling foes or removing boons. Full Counter refreshes all burst skills on hit. Disables include stun, daze, knockback, pull, knockdown, sink, float, launch, taunt and fear.
- Spotter (Skirmishing) — You increase the precision of nearby allies.
- Pack Alpha (Beastmastery) — Your pet's attributes are improved and pet skills gain recharge reduction. Improved attributes are power, condition damage, precision, toughness, and vitality.
- Silent Scope (Deadeye) — Gain precision. Gain additional precision while wielding a rifle. Enter stealth when you dodge roll with a rifle equipped.
- Be Quick or Be Killed (Deadeye) — Gain quickness when marking a foe. Your power and precision are increased while under this effect.
- Furious Demise (Curses) — Gain fury when entering shroud. Gain additional precision.
Traits that benefit from precision
- Wounding Precision (Arms) — Gain expertise based on your precision.
- Blood Reaction (Berserker) — A percentage of precision is given as a bonus to ferocity. This bonus is doubled in berserk mode.
- Practiced Tolerance (Critical Strikes) — Gain ferocity based on your precision.
- Ferocious Winds (Air) — Gain ferocity based on your precision.
- Target the Weak (Curses) — Increases critical-hit chance for each condition on the foe. Gain condition damage based on your precision.
Traits that convert to precision
- Elements of Rage (Weaver) — Gain a bonus to all damage dealt for a period of time when attuned to a single element. Gain precision based on a percentage of your vitality.
Equipment prefixes that increase precision
This table lists prefixes that have Precision as their Major attribute. For other prefixes that affect Precision, see the full listing at attribute combinations.
|Prefix||Major attribute(s)||Minor attribute(s)|
|Healing Power |
- For trinkets and jewels, Captain is equivalent to Emerald, Assassin is equivalent to Opal, and Rampager is equivalent to Coral. Commander is equivalent to Burl, Marauder is equivalent to Ebony.
Upgrade components that increase precision
- Sigil of Perception
- Coral Chunk, Coral Tentacle, Coral Orb
- Emerald Shard, Emerald Crystal, Emerald Orb
- Opal Shard, Opal Crystal, Opal Orb
- Ruby Shard, Ruby Crystal, Ruby Orb
- See also: list of runes that increase precision
Food Items that increase precision
|Req. Level||Name||Precision||Duration (Minutes)||Other Effect(s)|
|5||Bowl of Vegetable Stock||20||15||+10% experience from kills|
|20||Bowl of Tomato Soup||30||15||+10% experience from kills|
|30||Bowl of Kale Soup||50||30||+40 Vitality, +10% experience from kills|
|30||Chocolate Chip Cookie||40||30||+50 Healing, +10% experience from kills|
|60||Minotaur Steak||60||30||+50 Ferocity, +10% experience from kills|
|75||Bowl of Artichoke Soup||80||30||+60 Vitality, +10% experience from kills|
|80||Bowl of Curry Pumpkin Soup||100||30||+70 Vitality, +10% experience from kills|
|80||Bowl of Curry Butternut Squash Soup||100||30||+70 Ferocity, +10% experience from kills|
|80||Bowl of Fancy Potato and Leek Soup||100||30||+70 Condition Damage, +10% experience from kills|
|80||Bowl of Fire Meat Chili||70||30||+15% Burn duration, +10% experience from kills|
|80||Bowl of Sawgill Mushroom Risotto||150||30||+10% experience from kills|
|80||Bowl of Truffle Ravioli||70||30||+100 Toughness, +10% experience from kills|
|80||Bowl of Truffle Risotto||70||30||+100 Condition Damage, +10% experience from kills|
|80||Fancy Truffle Burger||70||30||+15% Poison duration, +10% experience from kills|
|80||Omnomberry Ghost||70||30||66% chance to steal life on critical, +15% experience from kills|
|80||Omnomberry Pie||70||30||66% chance to steal life on critical, +10% experience from kills|
|80||Scoop of Mintberry Swirl Ice Cream||70||30||66% chance to steal life on critical, +10% experience from kills, +10% karma|
|80||Plate of Truffle Steak||70||30||+100 Power, +10% experience from kills|
|80||Saffron Stuffed Mushroom||70||30||+200 Condition Damage for 30 seconds on a kill, +10% experience from kills|
|80||Spicy Chocolate Cookie||70||30||+100 Healing, +10% experience from kills|
|80||Winterberry Pie||70||30||66% chance to steal life on critical, +10% experience from kills, +30 Magic Find|
|80||Dragon's Revelry Starcake||45||30||+45 All Attributes, +20% Magic Find, +10 experience from kills|
|80||Red Lentil and Flatbread Feast||45||60||-15% Incoming Condition Duration, +45 All Attributes, +1% All Experience Gained|
Utility Items that increase Precision
|Thesis on Basic Accuracy||Gain 40 Precision when health above 90%||+10% Experience from kills.||60 minutes|
|Thesis on Accuracy||Gain 60 Precision when health above 90%||+10% Experience from kills.||60 minutes|
|Thesis on Calculated Accuracy||Gain 120 Precision when health above 90%||+10% Experience from kills.||60 minutes|
|Thesis on Learned Accuracy||Gain 160 Precision when health above 90%||+10% Experience from kills.||60 minutes|
|Thesis on Masterful Accuracy||Gain 200 Precision when health above 90%||+10% Experience from kills.||60 minutes|
|Lump of Crystallized Nougat||+100 Precision on reviving an ally||+100 Toughness, Condition Damage
+10% Experience from kills.
|Sharpening Skull||+75 Precision on reviving an ally||+75 Power, Toughness, Vitality, Healing Power, Ferocity, and Condition Damage
+10% Experience from kills.
|Writ of Basic Accuracy||Gain 40 Precision when health above 90%||+10% Experience from kills.||30 minutes|
|Writ of Accuracy||Gain 60 Precision when health above 90%||+10% Experience from kills.||30 minutes|
|Writ of Studied Accuracy||Gain 100 Precision when health above 90%||+10% Experience from kills.||30 minutes|
|Writ of Calculated Accuracy||Gain 120 Precision when health above 90%||+10% Experience from kills.||30 minutes|
|Writ of Learned Accuracy||Gain 160 Precision when health above 90%||+10% Experience from kills.||30 minutes|
|Writ of Masterful Accuracy||Gain 200 Precision when health above 90%||+10% Experience from kills.||30 minutes|
Related World versus World effects
- Objective Aura 5: Precision (effect) — Precision +100
- Presence of the Keep (effect) — Precision +100
- Minor Borderlands Bloodlust Minor Borderlands Bloodlust — Precision +30
- Major Borderlands Bloodlust Major Borderlands Bloodlust — Precision +50
- Superior Borderlands Bloodlust Superior Borderlands Bloodlust — Precision +60
- During the beta phase this attribute was called Perception.
- To achieve 100% Critical Chance at level 80 after factoring in the 20% contribution from Fury, 4.76% contribution from Spotter, and 4.76% contribution from Banner of Discipline, a player must reach roughly 70.47% Critical Chance. If within the Fractals of the Mists with the Mistlock Singularities mastery and Infinite Mist Omnipotion, note that 150 Agony Resistance will add an additional 10.71% Critical Chance, meaning players need only 59.76% Critical Chance to reach 100% with all above-mentioned contributions. However, this does not factor in additional profession-specific modifiers to Critical Chance such as Righteous Instincts or Keen Observer. Note that there is no benefit to increasing Critical Chance above 100%.