Without any equipment, traits, skills, food or utility items, a character's base Critical Chance is 5% independent of level.
It is calculated for each hit and not each skill use. That is to say, in multi-hit skills, each hit has a separate critical hit chance.
Traits that increase critical chance
- See also: Precision#Related traits
- Radiant Power (Radiance) — Attacks against burning foes have an increased chance to critically hit. Your ferocity is increased.
- Righteous Instincts (Radiance) — Retaliation increases your chances to critically strike and grants might each interval.
- Brutal Momentum (Renegade) — While at full endurance, increase your chance to critically strike. Gain vigor when you gain fury.
- Unsuspecting Foe (Arms) — Increased critical-hit chance against disabled foes. Disables include stun, daze, knock back, pull, knock down, sink, float, launch, taunt, and fear.
- Burst Precision (Arms) — Burst skills have an increased critical chance.
- High Caliber (Firearms) — You have an increased critical hit chance against foes within the range threshold.
- Hematic Focus (Firearms) — You have increased chance to critically strike against bleeding foes.
- Precise Strike (Marksmanship) — Opening Strike has an increased chance to critically strike.
- Vicious Quarry (Skirmishing) — Fury grants ferocity and additional increased critical strike chance. When struck while below the health threshold, gain fury.
- Keen Observer (Critical Strikes) — Critical-hit chance is increased while your health is above the threshold.
- Twin Fangs (Critical Strikes) — Deal increased critical damage while your health is above the threshold. Gain bonus critical-hit chance when hitting a foe from behind or the side.
- Hidden Killer (Critical Strikes) — Gain bonus critical-hit chance while stealthed. This bonus lingers for a short duration after you've been revealed.
- Superior Elements (Weaver) — Dual Attack skills weaken enemies. Attacks against weakened foes have increased critical chance.
- Danger Time (Chronomancer) — Gain additional critical-hit chance against slowed enemies. Critical hits deal additional damage to slowed enemies. This bonus also applies to your illusions.
- Target the Weak (Curses) — Increases critical-hit chance for each condition on your foe. Gain condition damage based on your precision.
- Death Perception (Soul Reaping) — Gain increased critical-strike chance and ferocity while in a shroud.
- Decimate Defenses (Reaper) — Striking a foe with vulnerability increases your critical hit chance.
Related upgrade components
Upgrade components that increase critical chance
- Superior Sigil of Vision - Your attacks have a 100% critical chance for 3 seconds after swapping to this weapon in combat.
- Sigil of Accuracy - Increases critical chance
- Minimum critical chance is 5% and max is 100%. Note that the displayed critical chance can exceed 100%, but it won't grant any more than 100%.
- To achieve 100% Critical Chance at level 80 after factoring in the 20% contribution from Fury, 4.76% contribution from Spotter, and 4.76% contribution from Banner of Discipline, a player must reach roughly 70.47% Critical Chance. If within the Fractals of the Mists with the Mistlock Singularities mastery and Infinite Mist Omnipotion, note that 150 Agony Resistance will add an additional 10.71% Critical Chance, meaning players need only 59.76% Critical Chance to reach 100% with all above-mentioned contributions. However, this does not factor in additional profession-specific modifiers to Critical Chance such as Righteous Instincts or Keen Observer. Note that there is no benefit to increasing Critical Chance above 100%.