Asgeir Dragonrender is the grandfather of Knut Whitebear. He is renowned for severing one of the Elder Dragon Jormag's fangs from its maw, earning the name Dragonrender, and for leading the norn south to found Hoelbrak during the norn exodus.
Asgeir was a norn hero who lived during the rise of the Elder Dragon Jormag and its push south into the Far Shiverpeaks after 1165 AE. When the norn were on the brink of annihilation by the Elder Dragon, Asgeir was given the aid of the Spirits of the Wild to fight it. In addition, he had a powerful jotun scroll with him as well; the scroll has been lost since, though believed to be somewhere in the Shiverpeaks. Asgeir slew the greatest of Jormag's champions, Frostfang, with a single blow and proceeded to battle Jormag directly. Though he failed to kill Jormag, he rended one of its teeth from its maw as a trophy and proof that the Ice Dragon can be harmed, being the first to do so.
Despite rending one of Jormag's fangs, Asgeir witnessed the Ice Dragon continue its assault as it and its Icebrood horde slew thousands of norn and devoured Owl, one of the Spirits of the Wild, who had sacrificed herself in an attempt to distract Jormag and protect the norn. Just when Asgeir's own bravery began to falter, he was struck with a vision. The four Great Spirits of the Wild called Bear, Raven, Snow Leopard, and Wolf revealed themselves over the field of battle and spoke to him of a sanctuary in the Southern Shiverpeaks. Asgeir rallied all norn still alive and told them of his vision. He spoke of the Spirits giving all norn shelter, telling them that their fight against Jormag would come another day. With the guidance of the Four Great Spirits, Asgeir led the norn south while the Spirits of Dolyak, Eagle, and Wolverine stayed behind to distract and battle Jormag.
In the southern valleys, Asgeir established Hoelbrak, carved new shrines to honor many of the surviving and lost Spirits of the Wild who had aided the norn, and placed the Fang of the Serpent in the Great Lodge. During Hoelbrak's creation, an iceberg was threatening to crush the new settlement, so Asgeir sent Hrothbeir to break it, creating Lake Mourn. Elder Ulf suggests that Asgeir perished while battling Jormag, however, so Asgeir seems to have returned to the Far Shiverpeaks at an unknown date after the founding of Hoelbrak to confront the Ice Dragon one more time.
Asgeir left behind a family and a legacy as one of the greatest norn heroes to have ever existed. His grandson, Knut Whitebear, would continue to keep Hoelbrak a safe haven for all norn. Eir Stegalkin would honor Asgeir by carving a statue in his honor, placing it in Stonewright's Steading. Asgeir's legend would inspire generations of norn, including Eir and her son Braham, to attempt to damage the Fang of the Serpent; according to norn tales, the one who can damage the fang will be destined to lead the norn north to reclaim their fallen homelands and end the threat of Jormag once and for all.
- Asgeir is likely referring to the old Norse name, Ásgeirr, derived from the roots áss meaning 'god' and geirr meaning 'spear'. It is also a current Icelandic and Norwegian name, and the name 'Oscar' is derived from the same bases.
- Asgeir has earned many names during the course of his life, including Dragonrender, Battle Master, Favored of the Spirits of the Wild, and Builder of Hoelbrak.
- ^ Frozen Out Braham: This is similar to the scroll Aesgir
- ^ Talon Bladedancer
- ^ Frostfang III: Tooth of Frostfang
- ^ a b Thyrie Bylund
- ^ Skaald Stjarna
- ^ A Spirit of Legend
- ^ Ottar
- ^ Journey to Bitterfrost Frontier
- Elder Ulf: I didn't want to say it too lodly, but the tooth... It's really something we use to keep the young from getting themselves killed trying to hunt Jormag.
- <Character name>: You don't believe the stories?
- Elder Ulf: Some do, some don't. Asgeir rent it from Jormag's mouth, it is true, but if he could do that and still be killed by the dragon... what good would scratching this tooth do?
- ^ Asgeir Dragonrender (statue)