The term "elder race" refers to a group of five species that were around and survived the previous dragonrise. These species include the dwarves, Forgotten, jotun, mursaat, and Seers. They were among the elite species of the time, who had hoarded the use of magic, preventing other species from developing as they did. When the Elder Dragons rose, the elder races had formed an alliance and shared their magic with each other. Despite this, the alliance eventually broke apart, the mursaat fled into the Mists, and the other four species were hidden by Glint after the Forgotten had freed her from Kralkatorrik's control. Despite surviving the reign of the Elder Dragons, all of the elder species have fallen from their previous heights, and the mursaat, Seers and Forgotten appear to now be fully extinct on Tyria.
Other species are known to have thrived at the time, such as the Great Giants, though most were wiped out. The kodan had existed at the time, their culture seemingly unchanged since they weathered The Dragonstorm caused by the previous dragonrise. Other species are suggested to have been around during the previous dragonrise, but were not so far advanced as the elder races. These include: charr, djinn, karka, and tengu.
- ^ The Ruined City of Arah dialogue
- ^ Enduring Icicle
- Enduring Icicle: Magic was hoarded by the elite: the seers, jotun, mursaat and the beings from the gods realm, to name a few. But the vast majority did not have power. This is no longer the case.
- ^ A Shadow's Deeds
- Squad Leader Bennett: The description of these "stone men" matched an ancient weapon the mursaat and White Mantle used before the Krytan Civil War.
- Squad Leader Bennett: They're called jade constructs, and they were the mursaat's primary martial units.
- <Character name>: Floating constructs? That sounds similar to the Exalted.
- Taimi: That's because they're using ancient magic from a similar origin, or at least that's my current theory, Pooh-bah.
- Squad Leader Bennett: Did...your backpack just call you "pooh-bah," Commander?
- <Character name>: It's a long story. Go on, Taimi.
- Taimi: There was a time, way back, when the Seers and the mursaat shared a lot of info. Why do you think they're all so...floaty?
- ^ Kodan Snowcaller
- ^ The Wisdom and Power of the Kodan
- ^ Myths and Legends of Ancient Ascalon
- ^ a b Miyani/dialogue:
- Zommoros: The Mighty Zommoros agrees to this audience. These "karka" creatures are familiar to me. Long ago, such creatures dominated the sea. They swarmed up from the depths, over shoal and shore alike.
- ^ Genzhou Talonrend