To Kill a God
To Kill a God
- 1330 AE
- Path of Fire
- To Kill a God
- Domain of Vabbi
- Bring an end to the god of fire's ambitions, once and for all.
- Confront Balthazar.
- Kill Balthazar.
- Optional: Draw on Aurene's power when it overflows.
- Piece of Common Unidentified Gear (3)
- Battered Forged Components
- Balthazar's Sealed Cask
- Elonian Coat Box
As is to be expected, the god of war is a formidable opponent, using powerful AoE attacks and aided by endless hordes of Forged hounds. But you're not facing him alone: As soon as he loses 10% of his health, Aurene appears to assist you. She'll drop bright orbs that grant barrier and Gift of the Scion; at other times she will envelop herself in a glowing sphere and offer to share her power with you. Stand inside the sphere to receive temporary invulnerability and Dragon's Rage.
Most of Balthazar's attacks telegraph themselves clearly using orange markers on the floor; thus, most of his attacks can be avoided with good reflexes. He will perform a slam attack that sends out a fiery shockwave that knocks back; this can be jumped over to save endurance. Don't be afraid to switch back to your normal weapons (use weapon swap) if you find yourself struggling to avoid Balthazar's AoEs due to unfamiliarity with Sohothin; it will "sheathe" to your special action key, allowing you to take it out again any time you wish.
Balthazar will occasionally shield himself and begin to charge up his Ultimate Attack—the one that killed you last time. The only way to stop him is to coordinate with Aurene. Break her out of her chains, then run to the blue circle near Balthazar's shield and press your special action key to perform the dual attack. At other times, Balthazar will shield himself using Dire Shield Generators; destroy these on sight.
Eventually, you'll deliver the final blow and witness the death of a god. You'll be dazed by the Divine Fallout. Aurene flies off, leaving you to confer with your dazed friends, who agree to reconvene at Amnoon.
|To Kill a God||Path of Fire: Act 3||11|
| Complete the To Kill a God mission.Journal: To Kill a God Completed
||Completed To Kill a God||1|
|Who Needs a Magic Sword?||Path of Fire: Act 3||5|
|Kill Balthazar without using Sohothin.Story Mission: To Kill a God||Killed Balthazar without Using Sohothin||5|
- Weapon swap to return to your normal skills; Sohothin will be "sheathed" to your special action key. As your joint attack with Aurene also uses the special action key, take care not to accidentally unsheathe it.
- If you are downed or defeated, you will automatically re-equip Sohothin upon revival. So long as you do not hit Balthazar with any of Sohothin's skills you can "resheath" and still progress the achievement.
- Hidden Achievement not shown in the Mastery panel for Act 3.
- Eligibility can be tracked via Who Needs a Magic Sword.
|Won't Get Killed Again||Path of Fire: Act 3||3|
|Don't get killed by Balthazar's Ultimate Attack.Story Mission: To Kill a God||Survived Balthazar's Ultimate Attack||3|
- Balthazar uses his Ultimate Attack if you fail to perform the joint attack with Aurene in time.
- Eligibility can be tracked via Won't Get Killed Again.
- Balthazar: So, the commander of the Dragon's Watch guild...
- Balthazar: ...now stands alone...
- Balthazar: ...against the god of war...
- Balthazar: ...armed with nothing but a sword...
- Balthazar: ...and the foolish belief...
- Balthazar: ...that you've...
- Balthazar: ...just...
- Balthazar: ...accomplished...
- Balthazar: ...something.
- <Character name>: I've stopped you from destroying Tyria. That's "something."
- Balthazar: You've stopped nothing. My warbeast has weakened Kralkatorrik.
- Balthazar: All I need to finish the task is the scion trapped behind me.
- <Character name>: Then I guess we're not finished here.
- Balthazar: This has gone on long enough.
- Balthazar: Kralkatorrik's magic will be mine.
- <Character name>: Aurene! Glad to see you in one piece. Let's keep it that way.
- <Character name>: Stay close, and let's coordinate our attacks.
- When Balthazar reaches 75%
- Balthazar: Why won't you die and be done with it?
- When Balthazar reaches 65%[verification requested]
- Balthazar: Impudent newt! You're of no use to me dead, but half dead will still work.
- <Character name>: Dream on. I'll die before I let you hurt her again.
- When Balthazar reaches 45%
- <Character name>: I can't let you do this.
- Balthazar: You can't stop me.
- When Balthazar reaches 35%[verification requested]
- Balthazar: Stump of a dragon! You're becoming a nuisance.
- <Character name>: The god of war prefers to fight infants?
- Balthazar: The god of war prefers to win.
- When Balthazar reaches 25%
- Balthazar: You, a dragon slayer, now claim to be their champion?
- <Character name>: I can fix what I've done, but only if Kralkatorrik lives.
- Balthazar: No. What you started...I will finish.
- When Balthazar reaches 15%
- Balthazar: You cannot win. The gods have abandoned this world. Abandoned you.
- <Character name>: No, they abandoned you.
- When Balthazar reaches 10%
- Balthazar: I am fire! I am war! What are you?
- <Character name>: Still standing.
- When Balthazar reaches 1%
- Balthazar: No!
- Balthazar: I am a god!
- Balthazar: Curse you, Dwayna!
- Balthazar: Melandru!
- Balthazar: Betraying one of your own!
- Balthazar: Grenth!
- Balthazar: Kormir!
- Balthazar: May the fires...
- Balthazar: ...take...
- Balthazar: ...you...
- Balthazar: ...all!
- <Character name>: Don't be a sore loser.
- After Balthazar's death
- <Character name>: Aurene, look out!
- <Character name>: Ahhh...!
- <Character name>: Aurene, no...
- <Character name>: Aurene...?
- Canach: Commander, are you okay?
- Rytlock Brimstone: Where's Balthazar?
- <Character name>: Dead.
- <Character name>: Balthazar was determined to kill an Elder Dragon, and we stopped him. The world is safe...for now.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Is Aurene okay?
- <Character name>: She saved my life. But then she ran off.
- <Character name>: Probably not safe to stay here. We should meet up back in Amnoon to discuss what to do next.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: See you back in Amnoon.