According to a norn legend, a jotun scroll was used by the norn hero Asgeir Dragonrender during the battle against the Elder Dragon Jormag to chip off one of its fangs before he led the norn south to found Hoelbrak in the norn exodus in 1169 AE. The fate of the scroll remained unknown since.
In 1325 AE, the Durmand Priory found a reference in an old tome about a magical scroll hidden somewhere in the Shiverpeak Mountains although it was unclear if it was the same scroll Asgeir had used or a similar artifact. Priory member Talon Bladedancer and her warband were sent to Hoelbrak to study the Grakk paintings which were believed to hold a clue about the location of the scroll. However, the Priory remained unaware at the time that the scroll did not contain knowledge about the Elder Dragons but a powerful enchantment.
|By 1329 AE, Braham Eirsson had learned of the scroll's rumored existence and researched it to find a way to defeat Jormag, eventually learning of its magical properties which he planned to use on his late mother Eir Stegalkin's bow. He discovered the scroll's potential location in a remote cave system deep in the Bitterfrost Frontier where it was suggested to be guarded by ice sentries. After a lengthy search, Braham, Garm, Rox and the Pact Commander found the scroll, which turned out to be a similar scroll to the one Asgeir had once used, deep within the cave where it was guarded not only by the sentries but also by rimebound servants with decoys as well as an enraged ice beast corrupted by Jormag. After a lengthy battle, Braham acquired the real scroll amidst the decoys, enchanted Eir's bow with magical fire, and vanquished the ice beast. He later used the enchanted bow to damage the Fang of the Serpent in Hoelbrak, rallying some of the norn behind him to confront Jormag.|
A known invocation to enchant a weapon with the scroll's fire magic consists of two phrases which are uttered while holding on to both the scroll and the weapon which one wishes to enchant:
- For the might of the fire lives in my heart and in this [weapon]. No chill will extinguish its light.
- ^ Journey to Bitterfrost Frontier Elder Shaman Aukje: Braham has gone to the far north in search of a lost magical scroll he plans to use on Eir's bow.
- ^ a b Frozen Out
- Braham: If it's not in this cave system, all my info was wrong and I'm back at square one. [...]
- Braham: This was the first line of defense; I'd heard these things were guarding the scroll. I knew this was right. [...]
- Braham: For the might of the fire lives in my heart and in this bow. No chill will extinguish its light. [...]
- Braham: This is similar to the scroll Aesgir used in his great victory, so now I test the bow on the tooth in the Great Hall.