Thanks to your training, your skyscale now has an instinctive bond with you and a desire to soar to new heights across Tyria.
— In-game description
The Skyscale is a mount released with the Episode 6 of Living World Season 4, War Eternal. It is the third new mount added to the game since the release of Path of Fire. During the Glory of Dragons story step, your character unlocks the ability to borrow single-use skyscales at Skyscale Roosts across Dragonfall.
Skyscales are useful for their ability to gain height while also moving horizontally in the air, which helps navigating difficult terrain. They can also hover in the air, cling to vertical surfaces and push themselves further up from them. Riding Skyscales can be compared to flying a helicopter, while another flying mount, Griffon, functions more like an airplane, crossing large distances at high speeds.
There are two independent methods of unlocking the Skyscale. The original way is available through the Living World Season 4 content, and the alternative path through the Secrets of the Obscure expansion. The Secrets of the Obscure method is commonly thought to be much shorter and easier.
Secrets of the Obscure
- Primary article: A New Friend
- Unlock achievements
- Horn of Maguuma: A New Friend — Raise a skyscale by completing skyscale collections for Skyscale Trainer Dyanne. (5)
- Horn of Maguuma: Skyscale Growing Comforts — Collect all the food, treats, and toys to raise a skyscale, and bring them to Skyscale Trainer Dyanne. (5 )
- Horn of Maguuma: Skyscale Egg Infusions — Infuse your skyscale egg with all the necessary magics, then bring it to Skyscale Trainer Dyanne. (5 )
- Horn of Maguuma: Skyscale Saddle Materials — Collect all the materials for a skyscale saddle and bring them to Skyscale Trainer Dyanne. (5 )
Living World Season 4
- Primary article: Skyscale/Walkthrough
First, complete Descent, the final story step of the War Eternal, episode 6 of the season. Once you're back at Lion's Arch, you'll receive mail from Gorrik, inviting you back to Dragonfall. Once there, you can find him next to the Skyscale Eyrie point of interest. Talk to him to begin the collection achievements.
- Unlock achievements
- War Eternal: Skyscale Scales — Collect skyscale scales to help Gorrik discover what is ailing the new species of dragon. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Medicine — Obtain ingredients for Gorrik's broad-spectrum medicine. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Fever — Feed Gorrik's medicine to each skyscale. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Eggs — Recover all the skyscale eggs. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Water — Infuse your skyscale egg with water. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Fire — Infuse your skyscale egg with fire. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Ice — Infuse your skyscale egg with ice. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Earth — Infuse your skyscale egg with earth. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Air — Infuse your skyscale egg with air. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Life — Infuse your skyscale egg with life. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Blood — Infuse your skyscale egg with blood. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Growth — Infuse your skyscale egg with growth. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Death — Infuse your skyscale egg with death. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Spirit — Infuse your skyscale egg with spirit. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Fear — Infuse your skyscale egg with fear. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Courage — Infuse your skyscale egg with courage. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Care — Care for your baby skyscale until it's large enough to leave the nest. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Treats — Defeat creatures around the world to find treats, and feed them to your skyscale. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Toys — Purchase toys from around Tyria to give to your skyscale. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Saddle — Gather components for Gorrik to make a saddle so that you can ride your skyscale. (5)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Flight — Help your skyscale get accustomed to flying with you, and help Gorrik investigate various tears in reality that have appeared in the air across Tyria. Find Flying Lesson nodes near the tears to call your skyscale to you. (5)
- Unlocking the Skyscale collections requires that you have completed two specific chapters of Living World Season 4:
- To complete the collections, you will need access to all six season 4 maps, which you can get by purchasing all six episodes.
- These collections are time gated. Some steps, such as unlocking another of the five main collections requires waiting for 2 hours after the previous step. The total minimum time needed to unlock the mount is 3 days plus 8 hours.
- The effect Waiting for Gorrik tracks how long until you can progress to the next step.
- You must be logged in on a character that has finished the Descent story and the epilogue to receive a mail to unlock subsequent achievements, but any character can complete the collections after they are unlocked.
- Requirements and costs
|Achievement (#)||Requirement or cost|
|Newborn Skyscales (1)||
|Saving Skyscales (2)||
|Raising Skyscales (3)||
|Troublesome Skyscales (4)||
|Riding Skyscales (5)||
|Total minimum time gate:||3 days plus 8 hours|
Skyscales are a new and mysterious draconic life form. They use their powerful wings to lift into the air from the ground and maintain altitude and can cling to walls to regain their strength. With a skyscale companion, you’ll reach heights you’ve only dreamed of.
Skyscales are a new species of lesser dragons born from the Mists out of the disturbances caused by Kralkatorrik and Aurene. Similar to other lesser dragon species, like wyverns and drakes, while they are capable of consuming magic, they are not capable of ascending into Elder Dragons. The original Skyscales were "born" from the Mists fully grown, resulting in an accelerated growth rate that eventually killed them prematurely. However, the next generation were born from eggs normally and do not suffer from this accelerated aging.
Living World Season 4
- To unlock these masteries, unlock or complete the Skyscale mount collections from Living World Season 4.
|Air Rescue||571,500||3||Learn to mount the skyscale in midair to save yourself while falling.|
|Rift Repair||609,600||4||Learn to use your skyscale's magic resources to close rifts. This will draw out the magic trapped within and reveal new flight paths.|
|Wall Launch||698,500||5||Learn to launch off walls with your skyscale, providing a moment of respite and the ability to fly to greater heights.|
Secrets of the Obscure
- Complete the Hell Breaks Loose chapter in the Secrets of the Obscure story on at least one character to unlock.
|Who Rescues Whom?||381,000||2||Learn to mount the skyscale in midair to save yourself while falling.
Unlock the A New Friend achievement.
|Fireball||508,000||2||Unlock the ability for your skyscale to spit a fireball at aerial targets.|
|Wall Spring||635,000||3||Learn to spring off walls with your skyscale, providing a moment of respite and ability to fly to greater heights. If you also have the Wall Launch Skyscale Mount Mastery trained, this ability charges faster and launches farther when fully charged.|
|Enhanced Updrafts||762,000||3||Learn to magically strengthen the power of updrafts to allow them to benefit your flying mounts.|
|Combat Launch||1,016,000||4||Learn to call your skyscale during fights to carry you to safety or attack from a new angle.|
|Ley-Line Acclimation||1,524,000||5||Learn to enter ley-line energy flows while mounted to glide along with the flow, gaining speed and access to otherwise inaccessible places.|
|Rising Spirits||2,159,000||6||Learn to use magically enhanced updrafts to replenish your mount's endurance.|
- Gain increased damage when using an engage skill from Ravenous Discipline
- Gain boons when using an engage skill or being knocked off your mount from Nimble Recovery
- Gain evasion while using endurance from the Enhanced Evasion
- Gain maximum mount health from the Sharing Is Caring
- Gain skills from Crystal Champion masteries
|Skyscale||Summon and mount your skyscale.|
|1||Blast||2||Engage. While on land, leap into the air and breathe fire ahead of you. If in the air, descend toward the ground before attacking.|
|2||Fireball||Precision Aimed Ability. Command your skyscale to launch a fireball, dealing damage and burning its target.|
While holding the abiliy button down, you can precisely aim where the skyscale will launch the fireball. Release the ability button to launch the fireball in that direction.
|3||Wall Jump||While clinging to a wall, hold to charge a jump. Release to jump.|
|4||Descend||While flying, decrease altitude.|
|5||Dash||While airborne, rapidly dash forward.|
|Dismount||Dismount your mount|
In the update Through the Veil (November 7, 2023) was added the opportunity to disable ley-line riding Ley-Line Acclimation.. That allows you to ignore ley-line streams even with active
|F1||Disable Ley-Line Riding||1||Click to toggle off ley-line riding on your flying mount.|
|F1||Enable Ley-Line Riding||1||Click to toggle on ley-line riding on your flying mount.|
After learning the three masteries, general movement is controlled by the following default controls:
- Directional movement - +
- Dash -
- Increase altitude -
- Decrease altitude -
- Increase/decrease pitch - up/down
- Cling to wall - (hold)
- Wall Launch - (while clinging to a wall)
Once the skyscale is fully unlocked, the player will have additional control options available as keybinds. In your Control Options menu, under Mounts, you will find Mount Ability 1 and Mount Ability 2. For the skyscale, these keybinds translate to Dash and Decrease altitude respectively. By default, your character can dash using the , and decrease altitude using . Alternatively the engage skill can be also used to decrease altitude, but this will cause the player to dismount once they reach the ground.
Players can control the pitch (up to approximately 30° from horizontal) of the skyscale by aiming the movement direction up or down with thewhile in flight.
Like the Griffon, holding space will cause a skyscale to take flight. Unlike the Griffon, a skyscale is able to hover in the air indefinitely, and can freely ascend and descend in place (for example, ascending by 500 units will cost around 37% of the green flight meter above the Endurance bar, then descending 500 units will refill that same 37% of the flight meter). However, flying laterally will begin to consume the flight meter, reducing the maximum height that the skyscale is able to attain, until it is eventually forced to land. Upon landing, the flight meter instantly refills despite the flight bar not immediately reflecting this (for example, simply 'tapping' the ground will give you an entire flight meter the moment you touch the ground).
- If a skyscale hovers too close to the ground, it will slowly descend and then land.
- Descending while the flight meter is already full will waste the excess, and will reduce the skyscale's maximum altitude.
- Flight range
The flight range of the skyscale can be visualized as a narrow cylinder at the skyscale's location with a downward sloping canopy extending out in all directions from the top of the cylinder. The initial height of the cylinder is 1350 units, and the radius of the base of the canopy is about 7000 units. Flying within the cylinder does not change the maximum altitude. Flying horizontally outside the cylinder causes the maximum altitude to decrease, depleting the flight meter and forcing the skyscale to descend when fully depleted; this also effectively forms a shorter cylinder and smaller canopy at the new location.
- Exceeding the canopy
Currently the methods for allowing the skyscale to fly higher and further include
- The Dash (default ) action, which consumes Endurance to propel the skyscale forwards, temporarily ignoring the maximum altitude; also does a roll in the air
- The Crystal Champion Mastery skill Bond of Vigor will refill 50% of the flight meter, and refills the Endurance bar completely;
- The Skyscale Mount Mastery Wall Launch can be used to convert one Endurance bar into about 66% flight meter while the skyscale is clinging to a wall;
- Touching nodes from the flight paths formed after a Rift Repair node will refill the flight meter;
- Touching a Volatile Magic or Unbound Magic node will refill (and reset) the flight meter; and lastly,
- Being propelled upwards by a Branded Tornado or Claw of Kralkatorrik will refill, but not reset the flight meter.
However, using any of these means to exceed the limits of the canopy will reduce the maximum possible flight meter that can be subsequently recovered, as indicated by a red bar that fills from the right side of the meter.
This red bar will force a rapid decrease in altitude until it's depleted.
While both bars of the flight meter coexists, the red one will deplete the green one. Pressingto increase the altitude will take priority, consuming the green bar while increasing the red bar.
The skyscale can cling to vertical surfaces by holding Bond of Vigor will have their cooldown frozen. Releasing the key will make the mount bounce backwards, releasing the grip to the wall., or activating autorun. While clinging, the Endurance bar and the flight meter won't recharge, and skills such as
If Wall Launch is unlocked, it can be used by holding while clinging to a wall. This will convert one Endurance bar into about 66% flight meter. Releasing will cause the skyscale to launch upwards, expending about 20% of its flight meter. As stated before, using the newly obtained teal gauge will increase the red one.
To avoid the automatic wall grab in order to land on small ledges, it's possible to move using only, or , decreasing altitude with if required. Using the dash at an angle will produce a similar result, it won't trigger the automatic grab even against a wall.
List of Skyscale skins
- See also: Gallery of Skyscale skins
- Concept art
Secrets of the Obscure Concept Art
Skyscale attack against an elemental in Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure.
- War Eternal: How to Feed Your Skyscale — Collect 300 Volatile Magic while riding a skyscale in Dragonfall. (5 )
- Can be completed prior to unlocking the mount, so long as you have completed the story mission Glory of Dragons.
- Legendary Trinkets: Vision I: Awakening — Experience the old through new eyes. (60)
- Prologue: Bound by Blood: Grothmar Skyscale Challenge: Silver — Prove your mastery over the skyscale in Grothmar Valley. (2 )
- Prologue: Bound by Blood: Grothmar Skyscale Challenge: Gold — Prove your mastery over the skyscale in Grothmar Valley. (3 )
- Explorer: Ruler of the Skies — Scales... Claws... Wings... Crown. (25 )
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Kryta — Complete all of the Reality Rifts in Kryta. (5 )
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Tarnished Coast — Complete all of the Reality Rifts in the Tarnished Coast. (5 )
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Shiverpeak Mountains — Complete all of the Reality Rifts in the Shiverpeak Mountains. (5 )
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Ascalon — Complete all of the Reality Rifts in Ascalon. (5 )
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Ruins of Orr — Complete all of the Reality Rifts in Ruins of Orr. (5 )
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Maguuma Wastes — Complete all of the Reality Rifts in the Maguuma Wastes. (5 )
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Elona — Complete all of the Reality Rifts in the Crystal Desert. (5 )
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Living World Season 4 — Complete all of the Reality Rifts in Living World Season 4 maps. (5 )
- A skyscale has 5932 health.
- Like all mounts, the Skyscale can be dyed before being unlocked. The dye will affect any borrowed Skyscale.
- During Skyscale Care, the skyscale hatchling will visibly grow after every reset according to the event progress bar.
- If a player does not own a skyscale and is in any Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure location, the effect Astral Ward Skyscale Attunement will be applied granting them use of a skyscale.
- Guild Wars 2 reveals a second flying mount: a dragon, the Skyscale, Eurogamer.net
- Fly High, Skyscale, Arena.Net preview of Skyscale, Twitch.
- Skyscale flight mechanics explained by Joel Helmich, Twitch.
- A New Chapter Begins in Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure, GuildWars2.com
- Soaring with the Skyscale, GuildWars2.com
- ^ A New Chapter Begins in Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure, Guildwars2.com
- ^ Glory of Dragons
- ^ Guild Chat Episode 83: Fly High, Skyscale, youtube.com
- ^ Newborn Skyscales
- ^ Guild Chat Episode 83: Fly High, Skyscale (30:55-32:25), youtube.com
- ^ Research by u/TheBandicoot
- ^ Research by u/TheBandicoot