- This article is about the mount. For other uses, see Skyscale (disambiguation).
Thanks to your training, the skyscale species now has an innate steed-rider instinct and a desire to soar to new heights.
— In-game description
First, complete Descent, the final story step of the War Eternal episode. Once you're back at Lion's Arch, you'll receive mail from Gorrik, inviting you back to Dragonfall. Once there, you can find him next to the Skyscale Eyrie point of interest. Talk to him to begin the collection achievements.
- War Eternal: Newborn Skyscales — Something is wrong with the skyscales. (5 )
- War Eternal: Skyscale Scales — Collect skyscale scales to help Gorrik discover what is ailing the new species of dragon. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Medicine — Obtain ingredients for Gorrik's broad-spectrum medicine. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Fever — Feed Gorrik's medicine to each skyscale. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Eggs — Recover all the skyscale eggs. (1)
- War Eternal: Saving Skyscales — Hatch a skyscale egg. (5 )
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Water — Infuse your skyscale egg with water. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Fire — Infuse your skyscale egg with fire. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Ice — Infuse your skyscale egg with ice. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Earth — Infuse your skyscale egg with earth. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Air — Infuse your skyscale egg with air. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Life — Infuse your skyscale egg with life. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Blood — Infuse your skyscale egg with blood. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Growth — Infuse your skyscale egg with growth. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Death — Infuse your skyscale egg with death. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Spirit — Infuse your skyscale egg with spirit. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Fear — Infuse your skyscale egg with fear. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Courage — Infuse your skyscale egg with courage. (1)
- War Eternal: Raising Skyscales — Care for a hungry skyscale (5 )
- War Eternal: Skyscale Care — Care for your baby skyscale until it's large enough to leave the nest. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Treats — Defeat creatures around the world to find treats, and feed them to your skyscale. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Toys — Purchase toys from around Tyria to give to your skyscale. (1)
- War Eternal: Troublesome Skyscales — Teach a troublesome skyscale. (5 )
- War Eternal: Riding Skyscales — Learn to fly on your skyscale. (25)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Saddle — Gather components for Gorrik to make a saddle so that you can ride your skyscale. (5)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Flight — Help your skyscale get accustomed to flying with you, and help Gorrik investigate various tears in reality that have appeared in the air across Tyria. Find Flying Lesson nodes near the tears to call your skyscale to you. (5)
- Unlocking the Skyscale requires access to all episodes of Living World Season 4.
- These collections are time gated. Some steps, such as unlocking another of the five main collections requires waiting for the daily reset. The total minimum time needed to unlock the mount is 8 days.
- It has been confirmed that the timegates will be considerably reduced in a later patch reducing the waiting time to unlock a subsequent achievement to a Tyrian day or 2 hours. Furthermore, the maximum amount of times a skyscale can be fed will be increased to 4 times a normal day, reducing by 1 normal day the timegate of the feeding achievement. Source
- You must be logged in on a character that has finished the Descent story and the epilogue to receive a mail to unlock subsequent achievements, but any character can complete the collections after they are unlocked.
Skyscales are a new species of lesser dragons born from the Mists out of the disturbances caused by Kralkatorrik and Aurene. Similar to other lesser dragon species, like wyverns and drakes, while they are capable of consuming magic, they are not capable of ascending into Elder Dragons. The original Skyscales were "born" from the Mists fully grown, resulting in an accelerated growth rate that eventually killed them prematurely. However, the next generation were born from eggs normally and do not suffer from this accelerated aging.
|Air Rescue||571,500||3||Learn to mount the skyscale in midair to save yourself while falling.|
|Rift Repair||609,600||4||Learn to use your skyscale's magic resources to close rifts. This will draw out the magic trapped within and reveal new flight paths.|
|Wall Launch||698,500||5||Learn to launch off walls with your skyscale, providing a moment of respite and the ability to fly to greater heights.|
|Skyscale||Summon and mount your Skyscale.|
|1||Blast||2||Engage. While on land, leap into the air and breathe fire ahead of you. If in the air, descend toward the ground before attacking.|
|Dismount||Dismount your mount|
After learning the three masteries, general movement is controlled by the following default controls:
- Directional movement - +
- Dash -
- Increase altitude -
- Decrease altitude -
- Cling to wall - (hold)
- Wall Launch - (while clinging to a wall)
Once the skyscale is fully unlocked, the player will have additional control options available as keybinds. In your Control Options menu, under Mounts, you will find Mount Ability 1 and Mount Ability 2. For the skyscale, these keybinds translate to Dash and Decrease altitude respectively. By default, your character can dash using the , and decrease altitude using . Alternatively the engage skill can be also used to decrease altitude, but this will cause the player to dismount once they reach the ground.
- Flight Meter
The flight meter is the usually green bar above the stamina bar. While the meter is not empty, the skyscale can keep going higher and further. Moving vertically or horizontally will deplete the meter, moving down will replenish it, while landing will refill it completely, as well as touching a floating orb or a node created by Rift Repair. Once unlocked, Wall Launch can be used to convert one stamina bar into about 66% flight meter. Dashing consumes stamina and ignores the flight meter, allowing to go beyond the maximum altitude allowed from the starting position. However, going beyond this maximum altitude with dashes, wall jumps, branded tornado or nodes created by Rift Repair will cause the meter to fill a red gauge behind the green one, and the skyscale will descend until the red gauge is depleted and the meter is empty or only partially green again. The red gauge and the green one can both co-exist in the flight meter at the same time. Bond of Vigor fills the flight meter by 50% and refills the stamina bar completely, however the only way to remove the red gauge of the meter is by landing entirely, touching a floating orb or lose enough altitude.
- Wall clinging
The skyscale can cling to walls by holding Bond of Vigor will have their cooldown frozen. Releasing the key will make the mount bounce backwards, releasing the grip to the wall. If Wall Launch is unlocked, it can be used by holding and releasing while clinging to a wall. This will immediately make the skyscale gain altitude and will also convert one stamina bar into about 66% flight meter. As stated before, using the newly obtained green gauge will increase the red one.. While clinging, the stamina bar and the flight meter won't change, and skills such as
- Like all mounts, the Skyscale can be dyed before being unlocked. The dye will affect any borrowed Skyscale around Dragonfall.
- During Skyscale Care, the skyscale hatchling will visibly grow after every reset according to the event progress bar.
- Explorer: Ruler of the Skies — Scales... Claws... Wings... Crown. (25)
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Elona (5 )
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Ascalon (5 )
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Gateway to Maguuma (5 )
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Kryta (5 )
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Living World Season 4 (5 )
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Maguuma (5 )
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Orr (5 )
- Explorer: Skyscale Rider: Shiverpeak Mountains (5 )
- Guild Wars 2 reveals a second flying mount: a dragon, the Skyscale, Eurogamer.net
- Fly High, Skyscale, Arena.Net preview of Skyscale
- Skyscale flight mechanics explained by Joel Helmich.