- This article is about the mount. For other uses, see Skyscale (disambiguation).
Skyscale is a mount released with the Episode 6 of Living World Season 4, War Eternal. It is the third new mount added to the game since the release of Path of Fire.“
Thanks to your training, the skyscale species now has an innate steed-rider instinct and a desire to soar to new heights.
— In-game description
Upgrades to the skyscale mount improve its flight ability.
- Primary article: Skyscale/Walkthrough
First, complete Descent, the final story step of the War Eternal episode. Once you're back at Lion's Arch, you'll receive mail from Gorrik, inviting you back to Dragonfall. Once there, you can find him next to the Skyscale Eyrie point of interest. Talk to him to begin the collection achievements.
- War Eternal: Skyscale Scales — Collect skyscale scales to help Gorrik discover what is ailing the new species of dragon. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Medicine — Obtain ingredients for Gorrik's broad-spectrum medicine. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Fever — Feed Gorrik's medicine to each skyscale. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Eggs — Recover all the skyscale eggs. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Water — Infuse your skyscale egg with water. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Fire — Infuse your skyscale egg with fire. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Ice — Infuse your skyscale egg with ice. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Earth — Infuse your skyscale egg with earth. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Air — Infuse your skyscale egg with air. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Life — Infuse your skyscale egg with life. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Blood — Infuse your skyscale egg with blood. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Growth — Infuse your skyscale egg with growth. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Death — Infuse your skyscale egg with death. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Spirit — Infuse your skyscale egg with spirit. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Fear — Infuse your skyscale egg with fear. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Courage — Infuse your skyscale egg with courage. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Care — Care for your baby skyscale until it's large enough to leave the nest. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Treats — Defeat creatures around the world to find treats, and feed them to your skyscale. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Toys — Purchase toys from around Tyria to give to your skyscale. (1)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Saddle — Gather components for Gorrik to make a saddle so that you can ride your skyscale. (5)
- War Eternal: Skyscale Flight — Help your skyscale get accustomed to flying with you, and help Gorrik investigate various tears in reality that have appeared in the air across Tyria. Find Flying Lesson nodes near the tears to call your skyscale to you. (5)
- Completing the Skyscale collections requires that you have completed (at least) two specific chapters of Living World Season 4:
- You will also need access to all six season 4 maps, which you can get by playing through the chapters, using Teleport to Friend, or other means.
- These collections are time gated. Some steps, such as unlocking another of the five main collections requires waiting for 2 hours after the previous step. The total minimum time needed to unlock the mount is 3 days plus 8 hours.
- The effect Waiting for Gorrik tracks how long until you can progress to the next step.
- You must be logged in on a character that has finished the Descent story and the epilogue to receive a mail to unlock subsequent achievements, but any character can complete the collections after they are unlocked.
- Requirements and costs
|Achievement (#)||Requirement or cost|
|Newborn Skyscales (1)|
|Saving Skyscales (2)||
|Raising Skyscales (3)||
|Troublesome Skyscales (4)||
|Riding Skyscales (5)||
|Total time gate:||3 days plus 8 hours|
Skyscales are a new species of lesser dragons born from the Mists out of the disturbances caused by Kralkatorrik and Aurene. Similar to other lesser dragon species, like wyverns and drakes, while they are capable of consuming magic, they are not capable of ascending into Elder Dragons. The original Skyscales were "born" from the Mists fully grown, resulting in an accelerated growth rate that eventually killed them prematurely. However, the next generation were born from eggs normally and do not suffer from this accelerated aging.
|Air Rescue||571,500||3||Learn to mount the skyscale in midair to save yourself while falling.|
|Rift Repair||609,600||4||Learn to use your skyscale's magic resources to close rifts. This will draw out the magic trapped within and reveal new flight paths.|
|Wall Launch||698,500||5||Learn to launch off walls with your skyscale, providing a moment of respite and the ability to fly to greater heights.|
|Skyscale||Summon and mount your Skyscale.|
|1||Blast||2||Engage. While on land, leap into the air and breathe fire ahead of you. If in the air, descend toward the ground before attacking.|
|Dismount||Dismount your mount|
After learning the three masteries, general movement is controlled by the following default controls:
- Directional movement - +
- Dash -
- Increase altitude -
- Decrease altitude -
- Increase/decrease pitch - up/down
- Cling to wall - (hold)
- Wall Launch - (while clinging to a wall)
Once the skyscale is fully unlocked, the player will have additional control options available as keybinds. In your Control Options menu, under Mounts, you will find Mount Ability 1 and Mount Ability 2. For the skyscale, these keybinds translate to Dash and Decrease altitude respectively. By default, your character can dash using the , and decrease altitude using . Alternatively the engage skill can be also used to decrease altitude, but this will cause the player to dismount once they reach the ground.
Players can control the pitch (up to approximately 30° from horizontal) of the skyscale by aiming the movement direction up or down with thewhile in flight.
Like the Griffon, holding space will cause a skyscale to take flight. Unlike the Griffon, a skyscale is able to hover in the air indefinitely, and can freely ascend and descend in place (for example, ascending by 500 units will cost around 37% of the green flight meter above the Endurance bar, then descending 500 units will refill that same 37% of the flight meter). However, flying laterally will begin to consume the flight meter, reducing the maximum height that the skyscale is able to attain, until it is eventually forced to land. Upon landing, the flight meter instantly refills despite the flight bar not immediately reflecting this (for example, simply 'tapping' the ground will give you an entire flight meter the moment you touch the ground).
- If a skyscale hovers too close to the ground, it will slowly descend and then land.
- Descending while the flight meter is already full will waste the excess, and will reduce the skyscale's maximum altitude.
- Flight Mechanics
The flight mechanics of the skyscale can be described as a cylinder of 1350 units height (300 units higher than the Springer) and zero width, with the bottom of the cylinder at the height where the skyscale left ground. The skyscale's altitude cannot exceed the top of this cylinder. Flying laterally in any direction will reduce the maximum height of said cylinder, until it reaches the minimum altitude, in which the skyscale will be forced to land (or go below if possible). The current maximum height of the cylinder can be tracked by the green flight meter above the Endurance bar.
This means that the skyscale's flight is limited by a "canopy" of about 9,400 units (the length of a Keg Brawl field). However there are a number of ways to refill the flight meter temporarily, and therefore allow rider and skyscale to exceed the canopy.
- Exceeding the canopy
Currently the methods for allowing the skyscale to fly higher and further include
- The Dash (default ) action, which consumes Endurance to propel the skyscale forwards, temporarily ignoring the maximum altitude;
- The Crystal Champion Mastery skill Bond of Vigor will refill 50% of the flight meter, and refills the Endurance bar completely;
- The Skyscale Mount Mastery Wall Launch can be used to convert one Endurance bar into about 66% flight meter while the skyscale is clinging to a wall;
- Touching nodes from the flight paths formed after a Rift Repair node will refill the flight meter;
- Touching an Volatile Magic node will refill (and reset) the flight meter; and lastly,
- Being propelled upwards by a Branded Tornado or Claw of Kralkatorrik will refill, but not reset the flight meter.
However, using any of these means to exceed the limits of the canopy will reduce the maximum possible flight meter that can be subsequently recovered, as indicated by a red bar that fills from the right side of the meter.
This red bar will force a rapid decrease in altitude until it's depleted.
While both bars of the flight meter coexists, the red one will deplete the green one. Pressingto increase the altitude will take priority, consuming the green bar while increasing the red bar.
The skyscale can cling to walls by holding Bond of Vigor will have their cooldown frozen. Releasing the key will make the mount bounce backwards, releasing the grip to the wall., or activating autorun. While clinging, the Endurance bar and the flight meter won't recharge, and skills such as
If Wall Launch is unlocked, it can be used by holding while clinging to a wall. This will convert one Endurance bar into about 66% flight meter. Releasing will cause the skyscale to launch upwards, expending about 20% of its flight meter. As stated before, using the newly obtained teal gauge will increase the red one.
To avoid the automatic wall grab in order to land on small ledges, it's possible to move using only, or , decreasing altitude with if required. Using the dash at an angle will produce a similar result, it won't trigger the automatic grab even against a wall.
- Concept art
- Like all mounts, the Skyscale can be dyed before being unlocked. The dye will affect any borrowed Skyscale around Dragonfall.
- During Skyscale Care, the skyscale hatchling will visibly grow after every reset according to the event progress bar.
- War Eternal: How to Feed Your Skyscale — Collect 300 Volatile Magic while riding a skyscale in Dragonfall. (5 )
- Can be completed prior to unlocking the mount, so long as you have completed the story mission Glory of Dragons.
- Legendary Trinkets: Vision I: Awakening — Experience the old through new eyes. (60)
- Guild Wars 2 reveals a second flying mount: a dragon, the Skyscale, Eurogamer.net
- Fly High, Skyscale, Arena.Net preview of Skyscale
- Skyscale flight mechanics explained by Joel Helmich.