An assassination has created a vacancy on the Captain’s Council of Lion’s Arch. Two candidates —war hero Ellen Kiel and prominent merchant Evon Gnashblade —both want to occupy that empty seat, but they can’t do it without your support!
To prove they have what it takes to sit on the powerful ruling council, Kiel and Gnashblade will compete to secure a lucrative trade agreement with the merchants of the Zephyr Sanctum. Support your favorite candidate as you experience two weeks of new events, activities, features and rewards beginning July 23!
— Official website
Cutthroat Politics is a release launched on July 23, 2013. The release deals with the Captain's Council election, with two candidates vying for the position: Captain Ellen Kiel and Captain Evon Gnashblade, each providing special benefits upon winning.
- See also: Game updates/2013-07-23
- Temporary features
- New Living World content
- New Living World rewards
- Permanent features
- WvW updates
- New World Ability Line: Catapult Mastery
- Gem Store updates
- Ellen Kiel and Evon Gnashblade are competing for Zephyr Sanctum's trade contract–your vote decides!
- Primary article: Cutthroat Politics mail
Players received mail from Ellen Kiel and Evon Gnashblade at the beginning of the release.
Audience with the Master
- Primary article: Audience with the Master
Audience with the Master is the introductory instance explaining the situation between Ellen Kiel and Evon Gnashblade.
Captain's Council Election
The Captain's Council election has been tied together with the Zephyrite trade agreement. The Zephyrites want to see which of the two candidates have the support of Tyria before they work towards a trade agreement. The candidate that secures trade agreement will win the open seat. Captain Gnashblade and Captain Kiel each have promised benefits if they are elected. The chosen candidate will determine future content that players will receive, both immediately and by the end of the year. To support a candidate, players earn Support Tokens by completing the new activities and turn them in to their candidate's basket on the Zephyr Sanctum. Doing so will earn them a badge they can wear for 1 hour to support their desired candidate and earn new achievements for each candidate while playing existing content.
Regardless of the winner, the election will result in a rotating schedule of previously available activities (Southsun Survival, Sanctum Sprint, Crab Toss, and Keg Brawl) as well as fractal versions of Molten Facility and Aetherblade Retreat later in the year. The election will only be available from July 23rd to August 5th, after which no more votes will be accepted.
- Reduced prices on Black Lion Keys for four weeks.
- Development of a Fall of Abaddon fractal to be added by the end of the year.
- Note: This fractal will cover the original fall of Abaddon that took place prior to the events of Guild Wars 1.
- Reduced waypoint costs for four weeks.
- Development of a Thaumanova Reactor fractal to be added by the end of the year.
- Primary article: Candidate Trials
- Primary article: Southsun Survival
Players are armed with a bow and arrow, and will have to scavenge for equipment and rations to survive against other players before they starve to death. If a player dies, they return as a ghost to make the game even more difficult for the remaining survivors.
- Primary article: Aspect Arena
Armed with the power of the Aspects, players must gather small crystals at the various large crystals and make their way back to their base to score points. Players get both movement and new offensive Aspect skills to fight other players.
- Ellen Kiel Support Bundle
- Evon Gnashblade Support Bundle
- Braham's Heavy Armor Skin — 800
- Magitech Medium Armor Skin — 800
- Phoenix Light Armor Skin — 800
- Banker Golem (2 weeks) — 500
- The fractal for the losing candidate will not be created.
- Bazaar of the Four Winds achievements and other content continue to be available through August 6, 2013.
- Cutthroat Politics on official website
- A Guide to Cutthroat Poltics on official website
- Black Lion Trading Company new item announcement on official website
- A Shipwreck: How Ellen Met Magnus on official website
- Short Story: Evon Gnashblade Disembarks on official website
- ^ https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/cutthroat/IMO-ArenaNet-favors-Evon-Unfair/first#post2473417