This article is about the re-released story episode. For the historical story episode from 2013, see Opening Ceremony.
The Opening Ceremony
Click to enlarge
The Opening Ceremony is the first story step of Clockwork Chaos, the third episode of Living World Season 1.
- Read the official letter.
- The Opening Ceremony
- Attend the opening ceremony at the Crown Pavilion.
- (Optional) Speak with Lord Faren outside of the Crown Pavilion entrance.
- Enter the Crown Pavilion's central area.
- Meet your friends.
- Present yourself to Queen Jennah.
- Stand clear of the central arena.
- Cheer Logan on as he tests the watchknight's mettle.
- Hold off the Aetherblade pirates.
- Defend Rox until she can make her shot.
- Regroup with your allies.
| Opening Ceremony Attendee
|Attend the Opening Ceremony story instance.
||1 Instance Completed
| The Opening Ceremony
|Complete the story chapter The Opening Ceremony.
||Completed The Opening Ceremony
| Investigative Study 3
|During the "Clockwork Chaos" storyline, find and read sources of information on the watchknights.
|Objectives: 8 objectives in total
- Letter to the Queen (Opening Ceremony)
- Scarlet's Book of Poetry: Volume 1 (Scarlet's Playhouse)
- Scarlet's Book of Poetry: Volume 2 (Scarlet's Playhouse)
- Scarlet's Book of Poetry: Volume 3 (Scarlet's Playhouse)
- Woes of an Aetherblade (Scarlet's Playhouse)
- Detective's Scribbled Notes (Picking Up the Pieces)
- Mysterious Letter Addressed to Anise (Picking Up the Pieces)
- Records from the Arcane Council (Picking Up the Pieces)
- The first object for this collection can be found in this instance:
| Kryta's Finest
|Cheer for Logan after he claims victory in the arena.Story Instance: Opening Ceremony
||Cheered Logan's Victory
- Type /cheer after Logan defeats the Watchknight.
In the instance
In the instance
- Various (Aetherblades)
Upon activating the story:
Her Majesty Queen Jennah
You Are Formally Invited to the Jubilee Opening Ceremony
By Royal Proclamation,
Her Majesty Queen Jennah of Kryta is pleased to open her city to you in celebration of ten years of her gracious rule.
By the will and command of the Queen, hot air balloons stand at the ready across Tyria to convey celebrants and well-wishers to Divinity's Reach, the capital of the Krytan nation.
Festivities will commence with Her Majesty's dedication of the Crown Pavilion, built on the former site of the Great Collapse in Divinity's Reach. Within this new edifice, ceremonial contests will be staged for her subjects to commemorate humanity's triumph over adversity.
May the Six Gods watch over you, and may they continue to bless the benevolent Queen of Kryta.
Crown Pavilion Waypoint —
In Divinity's Reach
- Approaching Lord Faren before the opening ceremony
- Lord Faren: This is quite the to-do. I'm glad my finest finery came back from the haberdasher's in time.
- Lord Faren: The city has never looked better, either. Laughing children, proud fathers, alluring mothers...even the Seraph seem dapper-er.
- Lord Faren: Though that's probably due to the conspicuous absence of the Ministry Guard. And I don't blame the queen one bit for excluding them.
- Lord Faren: Their numerous corruption scandals and enmity for the Seraph would have definitely put their stink on the queen's special day.
- Citizen: Can I go now, my lord? My husband and children will be worried about me.
- Lord Faren: Husband? Drat. (sigh) Yes, by all means, do get back to him. No point in wasting any more of our time, eh?
- Speaking to Lord Faren before the opening ceremony
- Hello there. Quite the gala affair here, isn't it?
- Are you here for the opening ceremony?
- Of course—what self-respecting nobleman wouldn't leap at the opportunity to respect his fellows? Not to mention mingling with famed personages like yourself, eh?
- Well, I'll see you at the ceremony.
- The Queen's Jubilee seems like quite the event.
- Indeed—here's to ten years of our beloved Queen Jennah's rule! To see this renovated Pavilion, you'd hardly believe it was a disaster zone only a year ago.
- This area was rebuilt?
- The Great Collapse lamentably demolished this district, but it's back and better than ever. The pavilion arena itself can even serve as a disaster shelter to protect our fine citizenry.
- Good to hear.
- Here's to another ten years, then!
- Yes it is.
In the instance
- Cutscene after entering the central arena
- Queen Jennah: Welcome, one and all, to Divinity's Reach. And welcome to the newly opened Crown Pavilion.
- Queen Jennah: As the city celebrates my tenth year as Kryta's monarch, we also celebrate the resilience of the human spirit.
- Queen Jennah: Since my coronation, humanity has withstood test upon dreadful test, yet it endures. We endure. And we always shall.
- Queen Jennah: We reclaimed the Great Collapse and made it a gathering place, an arena to celebrate humanity's fighting spirit.
- Queen Jennah: I hereby present the watchknights, my gift to Divinity's Reach and a symbol of our renewed bonds of community, duty and shared destiny. (As a watchknight lands in front of her)
- After the cutscene
- Queen Jennah: Join us in the arena for a demonstration of the watchknights' martial skill as they are tested by Kryta's finest champions.
- Queen Jennah: If you have the strength and the will, step forward and become part of Kryta's bold new future.
- Approaching Braham and Rox
- Braham: Look at this place. Some say the humans are at the end of their rope, but you'd never guess it.
- Rox: I think that's the point: to demonstrate how well humanity is doing despite all their challenges.
- Rox: They're bringing in people from all over the world to show how tough they still are.
- Rox: They even invited Rytlock to be the Black Citadel's emissary, but he opted to send me instead. I hope the queen isn't offended.
- Braham: Don't worry: you brought me along. Two of us is way better than one Rytlock.
- Rox: Shhh! It's bad luck to slur your commanding officer. Especially when I'm trying to get into his warband.
- Speaking to people before speaking with the queen
- Braham: Here we are again, huh?
- Got your back, just like last time.
- (If human)[verification requested]
- Countess Anise: Well, well, our famed Hero of Shaemoor returns. We welcome your help, <Character name>.
- Glad to be of service again.
- Countess Anise: Welcome to Divinity's Reach. For security reasons, please keep a respectful distance from Her Majesty.
- Got it.
- Emissary Vorpp: The queen's new toy is a marvelous feat of engineering, if a bit ostentatious with all of those extraneous bits whirring about.
- Surprised by human ingenuity?
- Perhaps I am a bit surprised. Surprised and intrigued.
- I see.
- It is marvelous, isn't it?
- Logan Thackeray: Good to have you in our city for the celebration.
- Thank you, Captain.
- (If participated in The Secret of Southsun)
- Lord Faren: Didn't we meet at that dreadful island resort? Welcome back to civilization.
- Lord Faren: Hello there. Quite the gala affair here, isn't it?
- Yes it is.
- Rox: Look who's here! Now it's a party.
- Let's do this.
- Speaking to Queen Jennah
- (If human and completed the third arc of the Personal Story)[verification requested]
- Hello again. Thank you for your assistance in the matter of Kellach. Are you volunteering to battle our watchknight?
- Yes, Your majesty. I'd like to test your watchknight's mettle.
- Perhaps later, Your Majesty.
- Welcome, Commander of the Pact. I'd hoped you might attend. Will you be volunteering to battle our watchknight?
- Yes, Your Majesty. I'd like to test your watchknight's mettle.
- Perhaps later, Your Majesty.
- After volunteering to battle the watchknight
- Logan Thackeray: Your Majesty. As a captain of the Seraph and your personal champion, I will stand for Kryta.
- Logan Thackeray: If it pleases Your Majesty, let me test the watchknights alone. Let them prove their ability to protect your kingdom as well as I have.
- Queen Jennah: An excellent notion, Captain. Clear the arena of all other contestants and begin.
- Announcer: The queen has spoken! All other contestants please clear the arena. Captain Thackeray alone will prove the watchknights' mettle!
- Speaking to Logan Thackeray before leaving the arena
- Sorry for cutting in, but let me have this dance. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get your chance to face off with these watchknights soon enough.
- After you, then.
- After leaving the arena
- Queen Jennah: For this demonstration, we've added a special cosmetic change to the watchknights.
- Queen Jennah: Captain Thackeray has fought all manner of foes on our behalf. Now, Captain: are you ready to face them all?
- Logan Thackeray: I'm ready to do whatever Her Majesty commands.
- Queen Jennah: Then behold: with a touch of mesmer magic, the watchknight can represent the most dangerous and driven of our foes.
- (The watchknight takes on the appearance of a Flame Legion soldier)
- Logan Thackeray: Okay...not what I was expecting, but it doesn't matter: the queen's enemies are my enemies, no matter what shape they take.
- Watchknight: Prepare to suffer!
- Logan Thackeray: You're kidding, right?
- (The watchknight takes on the form of an ogre)
- Watchknight: Sneak attacks are for the weak!
- (The watchknight takes on the form of a Separatist soldier)
- Logan Thackeray: Bring it!
- (The watchknight takes on the form of a quaggan guard)
- Logan Thackeray: Now that's funny. (laugh)
- (Logan kicks the watchknight into the arena wall, downing it and removing the illusion)
- Logan Thackeray: Ha! The watchknight is formidable, Your Majesty, but I'm not quite ready to declare it your new champion.
- (The watchknight takes on the form of Rytlock Brimstone and gets back up)
- Watchknight: I could say the same about YOU, human. Crawling back for forgiveness, Logan?
- Logan Thackeray: Dwayna's tears—is this some kind of joke? If it is, I'm not laughing.
- Watchknight: Time's wasting. Let's finish this.
- Queen Jennah: This has gone on long enough. Countess Anise, shut down the watchknight.
- Countess Anise: It's not responding, my queen. Something or someone's interfering with our control.
- (The arena barriers move up and down a bit, but ultimately remain raised)
- As an Aetherblade airship appears overhead
- Lord Faren: Ah, I hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but we've got party crashers. Trust me, I've seen this kind of thing before.
- Countess Anise: Not like this, you haven't. Those are the Aetherblade pirates that have been causing trouble in Lion's Arch.
- Logan Thackeray: Grenth take me, someone protect the queen until I can get past this overgrown wind-up toy!
- Rox: Looks like we've got work to do, Braham. Come on: there's almost enough for both of us.
- Braham: Now you're talking. Who needs sham combat when we've got the real thing. Kuh-bam!
- After defeating the first wave of Aetherblades
- Countess Anise: Shining Blade! Rally to the queen!
- Rox: What's the story here, Countess? If these things have an "off" switch, now's the time to flip it.
- Countess Anise: You're the charr emissary, yes? I'd love to, but someone has overridden our control of the entire pavilion.
- Rox: How does that work? Whoever's taken over would have to be close by. Very close.
- Countess Anise: I agree. And if you'll cast your eyes to the top of that pillar, you'll see someone who shouldn't be there.
- Countess Anise: That gives us a target. Rather, it gives you a target. Are you proficient with that bow?
- Rox: Proficient enough. Keep these goons away from my bow arm and stand back.
- After Rox misses her first shot
- Suspicious Figure: Now, now. I'm sure you're a better shot than that.
- Braham: Ha! You missed. Better get those eyes checked.
- Rox: Shut up. I would've hit her, but she blinked away. Now be quiet, you're jinxing me.
- Braham: She's back. Over there!
- As Rox misses her second shot
- Suspicious Figure: (giggle)
- Rox: Burn this! Missed again. I knew Braham was jinxing me.
- Countess Anise: I thought you said you could handle that weapon.
- Rox: I can! Just give me one more shot.
- Rox appears to hit her third shot, and the Suspicious Figure disappears
- Suspicious Figure: Third time's the charm, I suppose.
- Rox: Bull's-eye! Who needs their eyes checked now, Mr. Novelty Hair?
- Braham: You do. Remind me, how many shots did it take you [sic] hit the mark?
- Rox: That's it. Frostbite, if Braham says one more nasty thing about my aim, sting him to death.
- As the arena gates begin to lower
- Countess Anise: We're making progress, Your Majesty. The arena gates should lower momentarily.
- Queen Jennah: I'm glad to hear it. But we need to deactivate the watchknight attacking Captain Thackeray.
- Countess Anise: Still working on it, my queen. Our technicians can't break through the interference.
- Queen Jennah: Unacceptable. We have no more time. Destroy it.
- After defeating the watchknight
- Suspicious Figure: Oh, the games we'll play... This hasn't been disappointing.
- (The Suspicious Figure disappears as Logan attempts to attack her)
- Regrouping after the Suspicious Figure leaves
- Logan Thackeray: What happened here? This was supposed to be an exhibition. How did that thing know about Rytlock?
- Countess Anise: Don't be so sensitive, Captain. When you stepped in as the sole combatant, I decided to add a slightly more personal touch.
- Logan Thackeray: We'll discuss your "personal touch" later, Countess. Right now, I insist we shut down this pavilion for a full investigation.
- Countess Anise: I respectfully disagree. Whoever did this clearly intended to disrupt our celebration. We cannot let them succeed.
- Queen Jennah: Anise is correct. This event isn't just a festival, it's a statement to the world. I will not let that statement be undermined.
- Logan Thackeray: As you command. But I am beginning an investigation, and I am doubling the number of Seraph patrolling the city.
- Queen Jennah: Of course. I want to know why the Aetherblades attacked, and what they have to do with the disruption of our watchknights.
- Lord Faren: Good luck, Captain. Let me know if I can help. In the meantime, the least I can do is enjoy the festivities on your behalf.
- Braham and Rox talking alone
- Braham: That was a lot more fun than I expected. You think the metal things going crazy was part of the exhibition?
- Rox: Hard to say. And as the Black Citadel's official envoy, I should probably keep my opinions to myself.
- Braham: Boring! I smell trouble and a chance for glory. Why don't you use that VIP status to get us in on some action?
- Rox: I knew bringing you along was a good idea. Come on. Let's get involved in stuff that's none of our business.
- Logan thanks Braham and Rox
- Logan Thackeray: Thanks for jumping in back there.
- Rox: Happy to help. Consider it part of the Black Citadel's ongoing partnership with Divinity's Reach.
- Braham: Yup. Nothing like a little mayhem to spice up a party. Kuh-bam!
- Logan Thackeray: I've still got a job to do. I can't leave Kryta or its queen in the hands of protectors I don't trust.
- Rox: Things seem all right now. There are sham bouts and practice fights happening all over the arena, and the watchknights are all behaving.
- Logan Thackeray: But for how long? We need to take a closer look at these things. Find out what went wrong, and keep it from happening again.
- Rox: Count us in. I want another shot at that pillar person. We're at your disposal, Captain.
- Rox: And if you don't mind me saying, the real Tribune Brimstone would never talk to a comrade like that. I know it.
- Logan Thackeray: Except he did. Once upon a time, he said those very words to me.
- Rox: Oh. Well, er...he wouldn't say them again. I just know it.
- Talking to Braham after the fight
- Rox: Wait...did you say, "Kuh-bam?" Ha! All this time, I thought you were saying, "Kuh-Braham".
- Braham: No. Why would I say "Kuh-Braham?"
- Rox: I figured it was a norn thing. You know, shouting your name as a battle cry? Kuh-Braham!
- Braham: That's stupid. No norn shouts his own name like that. I mean, would you shout, "Kuh-Rox?"
- Rox: No, but I'm going to from now on. Look out world: Kuh-Rox! Kuh-Frostbite!
- Braham: I should've stayed in Cragstead.
- Talking to your allies after the fight
- Braham: Kuh-bam! That was great.
- Rox: Thanks for your help today. Stick around if you're looking for some more action. I have a feeling this isn't over.
- Will do.
- Logan Thackeray: That incursion was no accident. I'll be investigating just how our security failed.
- Good luck, Captain.
- Lord Faren: Never a dull moment here in old DR, eh?
- I guess not.
- Queen Jennah: I'm grateful for your assistance here today.
- You're very welcome, Your Majesty.
- Countess Anise: Forgive my curtness, but I'm currently preoccupied with Her Majesty's safety.
- I've crossed swords with Aetherblades. I hoped we'd finished them off.
- Clearly they're still active, and perhaps better organized and funded than we had suspected.
- Who could be backing them?
- Unknown. Though I've seen a mysterious figure here today that has me concerned. Sneaking in a saboteur with advanced technical savvy is exactly what I'd do.
- Good point.
- I understand.
I was invited to attend the Queen's Jubilee, where I met up with Rox and Braham to watch the festivities. Queen Jennah used the fanfare to introduce her watchknights—gilded mechanisms, crafted to protect the people of Divinity's Reach. Logan Thackeray valiantly stepped into the arena to spar with one. The whole thing was an odd show of force—on one hand, Anise was displaying her resourcefulness and wit in commissioning the creation of these mechanical wonders, and on the other we had the queen's most loyal defender and confidant who was likely trying to prove that he was still Her Majesty's most ardent sword hand.
Midway through the demonstration, the watchknight malfunctioned and started going haywire, leaving Logan overwhelmed and the crowd distressed. Before we could intervene, the Aetherblades, the murderous pirates behind the Dragon Bash incident, ambushed us.
A hooded figure mocked us from the sidelines; Rox attempted to snipe her, but she was fast. We eventually reached Logan and quelled the frenzied machine, but the hooded figure leapt back into the arena and mocked us again. Logan tried to strike her down, but his efforts were ineffective. The figure threatened to return before taking her leave.
Jennah refused to let someone dampen her message of resilience. Despite the city being on high alert, the festivities continued—with additional protection from the Seraph.
— My story
- Upon exiting the instance, your screen will be black, and display the message " Two Weeks Later", before fading back in.
- If you remain in the arena for long enough after Logan insists on fighting the watchknight, you will be teleported out and the instance will carry on.