Edge of the Mists
Edge of the Mists
Map of the Edge of the Mists without markers
Edge of the Mists provides instant access to competitive play, and can be enjoyed while you're waiting for a Mist War map. Progress made in the Edge of the Mists does not count toward the Mist War score
— In-game description
Edge of the Mists is a World versus World PvP map and game mode in Guild Wars 2. It features an action-oriented map layout, suspended in midair with narrow combat lanes, high-flying bridges, airships and bottomless cliffs. Players can enjoy Edge of the Mists while queued for a fully populated Mist War map or as a standalone competitive experience. Like most PvP maps, players must control objectives to gather points for their team. The Edge of the Mists score does not influence the primary Mist War score. However, victory in Edge of the Mists provides a supply drop to the player's homeworld Borderlands citadel.
Edge of the Mists sometimes serves as a testing ground for new WvW features. It is also home to the Mists Arena, an area for team matches or GvG.
By successfully completing events and defeating enemies, you may receive:
- loot drops, badges of honor, karma and coin;
- world experience;
- unique Edge of the Mists (achievements); and
- WvW daily achievements.
Edge of the Mists progress does not count towards Skirmish reward tracks.
|Overgrown Fane Reactor|
|Stonegaze Spire Reactor|
|Thunder Hollow Reactor|
|Tytone Perch Reactor|
|Arid Fortress Reactor|
|Inferno's Needle Reactor|
- Primary article: World versus World#Mechanics
There are differences between game play in Edge of the Mists compared to other core World versus World maps.
- Progress made in the Edge of the Mists does not count toward the Mist War score.
- Different Match Up, Timing, Scoring and User Interface.
- New features: Landmarks and Destructible bridges.
- No Bloodlust or Ruins of Power.
- Victory in the Edge of the Mists is awarded to the team with the highest score at the end of each match and rewards them with a supply drop in their citadel in the Borderlands map during the next match.
Control each of the nine special Landmark objectives to gain special abilities, siege weapons, or temporary items.
- Overgrowth Region
- Frostreach Region
- Badlands Region
All European worlds will be matched up with one another in the Edge of the Mists. All North American worlds will be matched up with one another as well. Worlds will be matched according to which color they are in the current WvW matchup. For example, all green worlds will be on the same team in the Edge of the Mists. Each side has a mix between 8 and 9 servers. For example, Overgrowth (green) contain 9 different servers on EU.
Current match up for Eotm are updated online for both North America and Europe.
Each match is 4 hours in duration broken up into 5 minute ticks.
- The scoring portion has a duration of 3 hours and 52 minutes when a winner is decided.
- This is followed by a 5-minute grace period to allow players to finish up.
- Players are removed from the map while the map is resetting. The next match starts 3 minutes afterwards.
Action takes place on a single map divided into 3 regions, each containing four different types of structures (objectives). Every tick, the structures controlled by each world are totaled and added to each teams's cumulative score. Capturing and holding objectives counts towards each team's score. Additional points may be given for defeating enemy players. The cumulative score is reset after every 4 hour match.
The interface at the top of your screen shows important information
- (1) Potential points that may be added to the cumulative score of your team when the current tick timer expires.
- (2) Current Tick Timer: the time remaining until those points are applied.
- (3) Amount of supplies you are holding.
- (4) Remaining time in the current match
- (5) Breakdown of potential points for all 3 teams - Displayed when hovering over (1)
- The blue-ish bar at the bottom of the UI shows your current WvW experience.
- Your team is indicated by the background color of both (1) and (3)
- Free accounts have access to the Edge of the Mists unlocked account-wide when one character reaches level 60.
- Edge of the Mists achievement category was added on December 20, 2013.
- Edge of the Mists was in a closed test period started in November 2013 and ended on January 12, 2014. There was no NDA upon the test.
- Before being standardized in the 2016-09-20 update, objectives used to grant more points per tick and on capture. More concretely:
- Keeps: 100 on capture, 25 per tick
- Towers: 40 on capture, 15 per tick
- Landmarks: 30 on capture, 10 per tick
- Supply Generators: 20 on capture, 5 per tick