Molten Furnace Fractal
Molten Furnace Fractal
Click to enlarge.
— In-game description
The Molten Furnace Fractal is a Fractal that occurs at levels 9, 17, 39, 58 and 83. It reprises the first part of the attack on the Molten alliance Weapons facility as encountered during the Flame and Frost: Retribution release.
Explore the caverns with Rox and Braham.
- Fractal Difficulty Scale: x
- Personal Fractal Level: x
- Survive the Molten Alliance ambush.
- Molten Forces
- Protect Rox and Braham while the machine is drilling.
- Follow Rox and Braham.
Stop the Molten Alliance's plan.
- Make your way to the testing chamber.
- Stop the weapons test by destroying the thermal core.
- Survive the first weapons test.
- Survive the second weapons test.
- Thermal Core
- Destroy the thermal core.
- Primary article: Fractals of the Mists#Rewards
After talking to the two, the party will first face an ambush by Molten Alliance enemies: 2 Oscillators, a Stalker, and a Resonator. Once dealt with, a Molten Brawler will appear. After defeating them, return to Rox to start the drilling machine.
The drill proceeds to excavate a tunnel. While operating, the drill will cause burning to players standing too close behind it and the ceiling will cave in periodically, knocking down players caught in the area of effect. The tunnel will break into five side chambers on the way, each home to a random group of enemies and a mithril node. The nodes can yield Azurite Crystal. Also, in each side room is a steam geyser that can be closed by covering it with a nearby boulder.
At the end of the tunnel is a large open area with a big group of Molten enemies. Take them out and then move toward the steam wall. Wait until the steam wall comes down before running across it or you will be knocked back and dealt a lot of damage. Continue down the rock pathways to the chamber entrance and go inside.
Weapons Testing Facility
Upon starting the weapons test encounter, the effect Stressed is applied to characters. This effect is lost upon defeat. It won't be reapplied after being revived by someone else, but it will be reapplied when choosing to continue from the last checkpoint.
- The types of weapons tests are the same as described below, with similar mechanics in themselves.
- During the first weapon test (e.g. fireball barrage), while the core is invulnerable, a Champion-level enemy will also be spawned to attack the party, occasionally becoming fixated on a particular player.
- When the core first becomes vulnerable, the shockwave test will be in effect and several Dredge enemies will spawn to attack the party. The phase is ended when the core reaches 60% health.
- At 60%, the core will again be invulnerable for the duration of another weapon test (e.g. fire tornadoes), with another champion enemy spawned to attack the party and fixate on a player.
- The same core vulnerability phase will repeat until the core is down to 20%.
- At 20%, the "Full Monty" phase described below will be in effect, followed by the Weapons Test Engineer with the same mechanics as before.
This takes place in a fenced area with the thermal core in the center. The event will not start until Rox and Braham enter the room. This final room is split into two fights. The first is a 4 phase fight where your party destroys the thermal core and survives weapons tests. The second is a separate fight with the Weapons Test Engineer that occurs after the thermal core has been completely destroyed.
The first three phases of the thermal core fight will consist of one of the following three weapons tests (detailed below), in random order, with each test only occurring once. For the first three phases, the weapons tests occur before the thermal core becomes vulnerable and only after the weapons tests end can the thermal core be damaged. The core becomes invulnerable again at 75%/50%/25% accordingly or after a set amount of time at which if enough damage has not been dealt to the core, the phase will repeat.
As soon as the weapons tests end and the thermal core becomes vulnerable, adds will spawn around the room whose attacks will need to be avoided while your party damages the core. For the second and third phases only, a Molten Protector will spawn immediately next to the core on the side closest to the original entrance to the room. This add will need to be pushed or pulled away from the core since, a few seconds after spawning, he will create a temporary ring around himself. For its duration, anything in this ring, including the thermal core, is immune to all damage. Skills such as Guardian's Banish, Mesmer's Illusionary Wave, or Warrior's Fear Me should be used to move this dredge away from the thermal core. It should be noted that if the dredge does create this invulnerability ring, although immune to damage, he is still susceptible to crowd control.
The fourth phase consists of every weapons test occurring at once while simultaneously destroying the remaining 25% of the thermal core. It is generally a good idea to save your damage cooldowns for the fourth phase since it is the only phase that your party must damage the core while dealing with weapons tests.
In this phase, multiple fireball barrages will be launched into the area, painting the ground with red circles. There are various safe spots around the room at any given time during this phase, usually these spots are near the corners along the walls or toward the center, or the party can reflect the fireballs.
Ground Pound Shockwaves
In this phase, stompers will pound down in corners of the area, causing circular traveling shockwaves. The shockwaves will not cover the entire room, but will at least reach the thermal core and a bit farther. The party will need to either run away from the shockwaves, jump over them, or dodge through them.
The shockwaves follow a specific pattern which repeats until the next phase:
In this phase, a series of fire tornadoes will start on one side of the area and surge like a rake to the other side of the room. Getting hit will damage and knock the player back. The party needs to squeeze themselves into the free areas between the tornadoes, dodge them, reflect them, or use the thermal core for cover. Alternatively, the party can stand against the gate on the left wall (as you walk into the room) and avoid all damage and knockback from the tornadoes.
Final phase - Full Monty
In this final phase, the party will face all previous phases at once. The thermal core shield is constantly down, though, so focus fire on it to end the phase.
Weapons Test Engineer
Once the core is defeated, the engineer will (eventually) come down himself to the test area. He can shoot the fire tornadoes and can trigger the heavy weights to create shockwaves. Defeat him to end the fractal.
|Molten Furnace Fractal Stabilizer||Fractals of the Mists||5|
|You've completed the Molten Furnace fractal inside the Fractals of the Mists.Some folks can take the heat without even sweating.||1 Fractal||5|
|Weapons Tester||Fractals of the Mists||15|
|Destroy the thermal core without being struck by any molten weapon attacks.Their aim wasn't so hot.||1 Challenge||5|
|Fractal Recursion: Molten Furnace||Flame and Frost||3|
|Complete the Molten Furnace Fractal after completing the Flame and Frost episode.
||Completed the Molten Furnace Fractal||3|
Note: Non-Molten Alliance foes are randomized spawns in the tunnel section.
- Elite Molten Brawler
- Veteran Molten Shadowblade
- Veteran Molten Shaman
- Veteran Molten Smoke Shaman
- Veteran Molten Stalker
- Champion Weapons Test Engineer
- Nimble Sentinel Suit
- Protector Sentinel Suit
- Veteran Molten Oscillator
- Veteran Molten Protector
- Veteran Molten Resonator
- Resource nodes
- Mithril Ore
- Upon entering
- Dessa Observation Mode: Ah, an underground facility. Strange. I'm reading myriad signals. And who is that with you? A norn boy and a female charr?
- Speaking to Rox
- Rox: No time to lose. Are you and that red-headed norn ready?
- We're ready! Let's go.
- Hold on. We're not quite ready.
- Speaking to Braham
- Braham: I'm so antsy. We need to get moving. Go tell that charr that we're ready to go.
- After talking to Rox
- Rox: Got it! Okay, don't follow too close. These things can spit hot rocks! Here we go!
- Braham: We can handle them! Spread out!
- Elite Molten Brawler: You will die in flames.
- In the tunnel (in random order when a pocket has been opened)
- Braham: Watch out! We've hit a pocket of... What is that?
- Braham: Oh, ew. Is that thing normal?
- Braham: This must be a lair.
- Rox: Knock, knock! Exterminator's here.
- Rox: Local wildlife! Heads up.
- Rox: Stay alert. These underground creatures can be cunning.
- When the NPCs moving through the steam jets in the corridor
- Rox: Ow! Rawr!
- Rox: C'mon, Frostbite. Let's go.
- Braham: Hurry!
- Rox: Ignore the pain! Move!
- Approaching the weapon test area (cutscene)
- Braham: Uh-oh. The wolf in me is growling.
- Rox: Mine, too. I mean... You know what I mean.
- Braham: Believe me. I do.
- Rox: They're testing weapons here...on their captured prisoners.
- Braham: Is that—great Spirits, I know him!
- At the Thermal Core
- Weapons Test Engineer: Bug off! I'm workin'. Too many buttons, pile of...
- Weapons Test Engineer: Wait, intruders? Intruders! Finally, an interactive audience. (cackles)
- Weapons Test Engineer: (laugh) New test subjects have arrived. Their timing is exquisite.
- Braham: Hey! You'll pay for this!
- Weapons Test Engineer: It keens with outrage, the vermin. As if that will save it. As if! (snickers) Begin test now.
- After first weapon test complete
- Rox: The guts of the machine are behind those doors. Give it all you got!
- If weapon being tested is fireball
- Weapons Test Engineer: Gah, it's overheating! Outta my way, outta my—oh, that's supposed to happen. That's right! (laughs)
- Weapons Test Engineer: Any time now, you clunky machine.
- If weapon being tested is crusher
- Weapons Test Engineer: Uhh. Excuse me. (mumble) Crummy Flame Legion and its shoddy... Ah, here we go!
- Weapons Test Engineer: They're survivors; I can relate. Until they're dead.
- If weapon being tested is fire tornado
- Weapons Test Engineer: Shuh, getting stuffy in here. How about some fresh air?
- Weapons Test Engineer: Let me adjust the "kill" setting. There!
- After all three weapon tests complete
- Weapons Test Engineer: This thermal core is crap! Where are my results? I want results! Fire EVERYTHING!
- After destroying the thermal core
- Weapons Test Engineer: They've ruined the tests. Ruined everything! GRAHH! I'll deal with them myself!
- Weapons Test Engineer: Just give me, uhh, give me a moment. (mumble)
- Weapons Test Engineer: Aha!
- Flame and Frost: Fractal Recursion: Molten Furnace — Complete the Molten Furnace Fractal after completing the Flame and Frost episode. (3 )
- The Predator I: The Experimental Rifle: Molten Engineer Notes — Notes found in the chest from the Molten Furnace Fractal on the weapons testing being done by the Molten Engineers.
- Meteorlogicus III: Storm: Unethical Test Results
- The Juggernaut III: The Colossus: Flattened Ooze — Coat yourself with your Mystic Chromatic Ooze and get flattened by a Stomper in the Molten Furnace Fractal.
- Ad Infinitum II: Upper Bound: Weak Magically Charged Infusion Sample
- Legendary Backpack: Ad Infinitum: Lessons in Metallurgy
- The map for the remainder of the original Molten Facility (frozen corridor and prisoner areas) is visible on the minimap, but only half of it is used in this fractal.