Fractals of the Mists
Fractals of the Mists
This portal leads to a mysterious destination. Many adventurers have entered, few have left.
— In-game description
Fractals of the Mists is a special type of dungeon that consists of an array of mini-dungeons called fractals, where each fractal has its own story and environment. Characters are adjusted to level 80 within the dungeon. The dungeon is one of the primary sources of ascended equipment and provides materials for crafting infused equipment and attuned equipment.
The dungeon has some unique mechanics and design. The party can choose the difficulty scale prior to entering the dungeon or from within the observatory. This difficulty scale starts at 1 and can be increased. The personal reward level tracks the current position of the account on the difficulty scale. You can use any character to progress the personal reward level, as it has been made account-wide on the fractured release (november 13th 2013). To increase the personal reward level, and therefore the highest fractal scale accessible by the character doing the fractal, the player must complete a single fractal on a fractal scale equal or greater to their personal reward level. This provides progression in the dungeon, allowing players to continuously complete higher and higher levels on the difficulty scale and greater rewards as a result.
When entering the dungeon, the players arrive in Mistlock Observatory, a "hub" area within the Mists. Entering Mistlock, you'll meet Dessa, a scientist who has made explorable chunks of reality from the Mists. There are hostile elements that were acquired during Mistlock which you are asked to dispose of. You may begin by entering the portal within the Mistlock to enter a fractal. You will hear Dessa's voice while stabilizing the fractal. Once it is stabilized, she and her krewe will transport you back to the Mistlock.
- 1 Introduction letter
- 2 Getting there
- 3 Mechanics
- 4 Locations
- 5 Daily Schedule
- 6 Rewards
- 7 Tips
- 8 Notes
- 9 Trivia
- 10 External links
The entrance is an Asura Gate directly in the center of Fort Marriner in Lion's Arch, just south of the "Mist Portals" point of interest. Once any member of your party has entered, you will be prompted to join them from anywhere within Lion's Arch.
Fractals of the Mists uses a difficulty scale in contrast to the story and explorable modes of dungeons.
- Your personal reward level increases by one each time you complete a fractal scale equal to or greater than your personal level.
- Whoever enters the hub may choose the difficulty level, which can be set up to the highest personal reward level of any member of the current party.
- Increased personal levels offer increased rewards, even if the run is at a lower difficulty level. Higher difficulty levels offer greater challenges and higher chances of better rewards, from foes, from chests, and from bonus chests.
- Each fractal scale corresponds with a specific fractal 'island' and set of unique conditions.
- There are four fractal difficulty scale ranges that are listed in the Looking For Group tool. For new characters, all of these skill ranges are locked (they cannot be used to find groups). The first scale range called "Initiate Scales 1-25", will unlock when a character reaches level 80. Higher group scale ranges will unlock when an account's fractal reward level nears the upper boundary for that group. For example, the ability to search in the 51-75 range unlocks when an account's fractal reward level is 45. More details can be found on the page Looking For Group .
- Standard changes at higher difficulty levels
- Standard foes spawn in greater numbers and have higher levels.
- Foes gain increased health, armor and damage values.
- Some foes will gain new abilities, e.g. in the Uncategorized Fractal, the harpies start to knock players back.
- Major changes at different tiers
Fractals include more substantial changes starting at level 25, 50, 75, so are referred to as difficulty "tiers".
- New items begin dropping at higher tiers; other items begin dropping more frequently.
- New challenges are added at new tiers:
- Agony is added at level 20 and it continues to increase with each level.
- Mistlock Instability is added at level 26, changing for each level.
- Starting at level 71, whenever a player gets downed a Fractal Avenger will spawn to Finish the player. Interrupting, teleporting, stealthing or killing it stops the action.
- Daily Fractals rewards are available for difficulties 1-25, 26-50, 51-75 and 76-100.
Mistlock Observatory serves as the hub area for the dungeon; it offers armor repairs, a merchant, and a token vendor for relics. A portal in the center of the area can be used to access the fractals; this requires confirmation from all players in the party.
Differences from dungeons
- There are no waypoints. If any party member dies, they must wait to be revived by their party or for the rest of the party to get out-of-combat, at which point any defeated member is given the option to teleport back to the most recently completed checkpoint (or to leave the fractal entirely).
- There are no repair stations, although players can interact with Mistlock Singularities to repair their armor if they have the appropriate mastery. Alternatively, players may use Instant Repair Canisters, switch to spare armor sets, or return to character selection and reload their character (players will return to Lion's Arch, where they may repair or use other services before returning).
Fractal Attunements are special mastery unlocks introduced with Heart of Thorns. In addition to providing access to additional rewards and daily achievements, these masteries also unlock additional NPCs in the Mistlock Observatory. Through these NPCs players can gain access to agony potions, a higher tier of agony infusions, and imbued accessories. These are extremely helpful in completing the highest difficulty scales available. In addition, players pursuing the Legendary Backpiece collection will need high fractal mastery to obtain the rare collection items required.
- Primary article: Agony
Agony plays a role in fractals at level 20 or higher; the amount of damage inflicted increases substantially at higher scales. Outside the boss fractals, agony is inflicted as part of an enemy attack, allowing one to completely avoid agony by preventing or otherwise evading such attacks. Bosses in the three boss fractals inflict unavoidable agony.
Mistlock Instabilities are special modifiers that have various effects on players and their party’s journey through the Fractals of the Mists. These can be anything from simple conditions to insidious extra creature attacks. These effects start at difficulty level 26. Starting at difficulty level 51 there are two Mistlock Instabilities active. Starting at difficulty level 77 there are three Mistlock Instabilities active.
|No Pain, No Gain||Enemies receive Protection, Might and Fury when you hit them.|
|Last Laugh||Enemies explode when killed.|
|Afflicted||Enemies apply random damaging conditions.|
|Social Awkwardness||Nearby allies receive Agony and damage while you are fighting opponents.|
|Toxic Trail||Enemies leave a trail of toxic sludge behind them as they move around.|
|Flux Bomb||You are periodically afflicted by the Anomaly’s flux bombs.|
|Adrenaline Rush||Enemies become enraged for a time when low on health.|
|Mists Convergence||The Fractals of the Mists are blurring together…|
|Area||Description||Sigils & potions||Day or Night||Fractal Scale|
|Mistlock Observatory||Main hub for Fractals of the Mists; entry point from the asura gate in Lion's Arch.||No foes||Day||All|
|Aquatic Ruins Fractal||Defeat the Giant Jellyfish as you fend off krait while navigating as a dolphin or exploring the dark depths||Krait, Fish||Day||3, 26, 61, 76|
|Swampland Fractal||Three wisps event puzzle, defeat the Mossman then Bloomhunger||Norn, Plant||Night||2, 21, 32, 41, 56, 67, 77, 89|
|Uncategorized Fractal||Complete the Raving Asura's jumping puzzle.||Inquest, Harpy, Bandit3, Flame Legion3||Day||4, 12, 36, 44, 62, 79, 91|
|Urban Battleground Fractal||Transform into a Flame Legion Charr and fight the Ascalonians||Human||Day||1, 11, 31, 57, 66, 78, 85|
|Molten Furnace Fractal||Gain entrance into the Molten Furnace and survive the Molten Alliance weapon tests.||Powerful Potion of Slaying Scarlet's Armies, Elemental3||Day||9, 23, 39, 58, 83|
|Snowblind Fractal||Fight the Sons of Svanir and protect against frostbite by lighting fires||Elemental, Sons of Svanir||Night||5, 16, 27, 37, 51, 74, 86, 93|
|Cliffside Fractal||Break the seals of the Colossus with the Cultist Hammer||Bandit||Day||7, 22, 33, 47, 59, 69, 82, 94|
|Underground Facility Fractal||Encounter dredge, solve the pressure plate puzzle, and defeat Dredge Powersuit or Ice Elemental||Dredge, Elemental||Night||8, 17, 29, 43, 53, 68, 81, 95|
|Aetherblade Fractal||Make your way through the security system to gain access to the secret Aetherblade base.||Powerful Potion of Slaying Scarlet's Armies||Day||14, 24, 49, 65, 71, 96|
|Thaumanova Reactor Fractal||Contain the meltdown of the Thaumanova Reactor||Icebrood3, Inquest3, Flame Legion3, Nightmare Court3||Day||15, 34, 48, 55, 64, 84, 97|
|Volcanic Fractal||Avoid the lava as you encounter grawl while trying to defeat the Grawl Shaman||Grawl, Demon3, Elemental||Night||6, 19, 28, 46, 52, 72, 87, 92|
|Captain Mai Trin Boss Fractal||Defeat Mai Trin.||Powerful Potion of Slaying Scarlet's Armies||Day||18, 42, 73, 98|
|Molten Boss Fractal||Defeat the leaders of the Molten Alliance.||Powerful Potion of Slaying Scarlet's Armies||Day||10, 40, 70, 90|
|Solid Ocean Fractal||Defeat the Jade Maw.||Elemental3||Night||20, 35, 45, 60, 80|
|Chaos Isles Fractal||Defeat the Chaos Anomaly.||Day||13, 30, 38, 54, 63, 88, 99|
|Nightmare Fractal||Day||25, 50, 75, 100|
- 1 Foe types are listed for those interested in using appropriate nourishment and/or sigils.
- 2 Sigil of the Night is effective in the fractals that are in permanent nighttime, including the Solid Ocean fractal with the Jade Maw.
- 3 There is only a single foe or a group of this type in the fractal.
Each difficulty scale corresponds with a specific fractal 'island'. Agony is introduced at level 20, and its damage increases with the scale. The table below shows the island for each scale plus the minimum amount of agony resistance required to reduce damage from agony to its minimum of 1% of your total health per tick.
(You can reach this table from in-game at any time by typing
/wiki fl into the chat box.)
|18||Captain Mai Trin Boss||0|
|42||Captain Mai Trin Boss||47|
|73||Captain Mai Trin Boss||102|
|98||Captain Mai Trin Boss||147|
The Fractal dailies are on a two-week rotation:
|Monday||Volcanic, Swampland, Aetherblade|
|Tuesday||Snowblind, Thaumanova Reactor, Aquatic Ruins|
|Wednesday||Solid Ocean, Underground Facility, Urban Battleground|
|Thursday||Aetherblade, Chaos Isles, Nightmare|
|Friday||Cliffside, Molten Boss, Captain Mai Trin Boss|
|Saturday||Swampland, Solid Ocean, Uncategorized|
|Sunday||Nightmare, Snowblind, Volcanic|
|Monday||Aetherblade, Uncategorized, Thaumanova Reactor|
|Tuesday||Cliffside, Urban Battleground, Chaos Isles|
|Wednesday||Underground Facility, Volcanic, Captain Mai Trin Boss|
|Thursday||Snowblind, Solid Ocean, Nightmare|
|Friday||Chaos Isles, Uncategorized, Urban Battleground|
|Saturday||Cliffside, Molten Furnace, Swampland|
|Sunday||Underground Facility, Thaumanova Reactor, Molten Boss|
Personal Fractal Level Rewards
- Your personal fractal level will increase by 1 each time a fractal difficulty scale is completed at or above your current fractal level.
- Completing a fractal difficulty scale below your personal fractal level awards you karma, based on the following formula:
(160 + 2 * Completed difficulty) * (Personal fractal level - Completed difficulty)= Karma awarded
(Personal fractal level - Completed difficulty)factor is capped at 10.
- The highest karma value possible for the above formula is 3400 when completing a difficulty scale 90 fractal with a fractal reward level of 100.
- All bonuses (from achievements, banners etc.) are applied to the Karma reward.
- +1 Agony Infusions
- Fractal Encryptions
- Character equipment (blue quality or higher)
- Recipe: Superior Rune of Resistance (above level 30)
- Recipe: Superior Sigil of Momentum (above level 30)
- Fractal Relics:
Ascended Crafting Materials
Certain crafting materials can only be obtained as random loot from foes in the Fractals of the Mists; unlike the above rewards, these drop from killing ordinary enemies, not for completing fractals. Each has a minimum difficulty scale at which it can appear.
|Scales||Ascended Crafting Materials|
|1+||Vial of Condensed Mists Essence|
|26+||Glob of Coagulated Mists Essence|
|51+||Shard of Crystallized Mists Essence|
- Daily — complete a single fractal for Daily Fractal (not available every day)
- Daily Fractals — complete specific fractals and fractals in level ranges, additional achievements unlock with increased Fractal Attunement Mastery
- Fractals of the Mists — complete each fractal island and specific tasks in each
- Fractured! (historical) — a category from the Fractured release
- Skills that block, absorb or reflect projectiles are very important in the Fractals of the Mists, as almost all fractals have multiple enemies that use ranged attacks and skills and many of them let you deal massive spike damage if you time your reflections properly.
- Skills that provide Stability, Blind or Weakness and skills that remove Conditions and Boons are very useful during many encounters in the Fractals of the Mists. Be prepared to switch skills often before different encounters.
- Skills that remove Boons are especially useful in all the dredge fractals as well as some parts of Aetherblade-themed fractals.
- A number of Fractals include enemies best fought with ranged attacks, e.g. the Thaumanova Anomaly; make sure to bring at least one ranged weapon set. On the flipside there are some Enemies, like Jade Colossi in Solid Ocean, who reflect most projectiles and are best fought with melee.
- Most fractals are designed for more than one person. For instance, you need at least three to complete the Underground Facility.
- Personal fractal reward level is account based; it is not per character.
- Rewards, including bonus ones, are determined by your personal reward level. For example, a player whose personal reward level is 8 but completes a fractal at difficulty scale 12 will have no chance to receive rings or weapons. [verification requested]
- Although Fractals of the Mists is technically unlocked at level 80, it may actually be entered at lower levels.
- The adjustment for lower level characters to level 80 will temporarily increase the base value of the four Primary Attributes to 1000. It will not increase skills, traits or benefits from equipment. Effectively, a lower level character, although stronger after adjustment, remains proportionally weaker than an unadjusted level 80 character.
- The Fractal Instability Trainer gives access to a training area where players can test their build against agony, mistlock instabilities, and enemies of various ranks.
- Fractals of the Mists was introduced as part of the Lost Shores release (November 16th, 2012).
- The first ascended items were added with the introduction of Fractals of the Mists.
- 3 new fractals and 2 new boss fractals were introduced as part of Fractured release (November 26th 2013). These are Thaumanova Reactor Fractal, Aetherblade Fractal, Molten Furnace Fractal, Captain Mai Trin Boss Fractal and the Molten Boss Fractal.
- The entrance to Fractals of the Mists originally was outside the Consortium Gift Shop in Fort Marriner in Lion's Arch. With the destruction of Lion's Arch (Escape from Lion's Arch release) it was moved to Vigil Keep in Gendarran Fields. During the rebuilding of Lion's Arch (May 19th, 2015 patch) the entrance was relocated to Postern Ward, and after the building work was completed (June 23rd, 2015 patch) it moved back to Fort Marriner.
- Numerous changes took effect with the Heart of Thorns release (October 23rd, 2015). These include an increase of the max scale to 100, introduction of new challenges and instabilities, the legendary fractal backpiece, the elimination of the old 4 fractals islands per run system, and a complete reworking of fractal rewards.