Might and Main
Might and Main
Click to enlarge.
The Might and Main is the heart of Hoelbrak. At its center is a large dodecahedral structure, with thick sheets of carved ice — one carving for each major lodge — chained to five of its upper faces. A brazier hanging below them projects each carving into the sky above the corresponding lodge.
- Might and Main Waypoint —
- Points of Interest
- Brawler's Bout —
- Hoelbrak Refugee Camp
- Aga Teslow
- Ahava Greywolf
- Astyr Eyrbirgen
- Ayslin Hovde
- Fiana Nakke
- Heldahr Wollijn
- Hemlig Hjordsdottir
- Idunn Sandet
- Kyril Stansturm
- Mist Warrior Hjalla
- Mist Warrior Hurstag
- Monika Vinge
- Pit Fighter
- Runa Hjordsdottir
- Sjorn Morheim
- Thyrie Bylund
- Tyr Haldorsson
- Valryn Jonsson
- Wolfborn Guide (Directions)
- Wyld Hunt Valiant: Warmth and light, wolf brother. My fellow knight and I are stalking the most challenging prey. We need your help.
- Wolfborn: Well, sprout, spit it out. I have patrols to get to.
- Wyld Hunt Valiant: Have you knowledge of an agent of the Nightmare Court passing through here?
- Wolfborn: Nightmare what? (laugh) I think you took a wrong turn somewhere, my leafy friend. But don't wallow. Let me buy you an ale!
- Wyld Hunt Valiant: (Sigh) Although it is imperative that we track down our quarry, I have been curious to try norn ale.
- Hemlig Hjordsdottir: They hide in plain sight; that's how they get close to you. Don't let them get you too.
- Hemlig Hjordsdottir: They're like the old beings, like the Mursaat, manipulating from afar. They even make pawns of the Elder Dragons.
- Wolfborn: Good to see you! When's your son breaking Jormag's tooth?
- Local: I thought you heard. Fool boy tried, but got drunk first.
- Wolfborn: What? Why?
- Local: Why else? To impress women. Too bad he ended up making a Jormag's sized mess.
- Local: Nothing going on here.
- Wolfborn: I know. I'm just looking around.
- Mist Warrior Qigga: Recruiter here. If you have questions about the Mist War, I'm all ears.
- Mist Warrior Dravirk: Join us in the Mists! You may not get a whiskey, but I guarantee you'll get a few scars.
- Mist Warrior Hjalla: Just do it! Join the battle for the Mists and put your muscles to good use.
- Mist Warrior Hurstag: Ho there! Come play with us in the Mists! There's a war on.
- Mist Warrior Qigga: We're taught to walk away from battles we can't win. Some days I ask myself why we're still fighting this Mist War.
- Mist Warrior Hjalla: Because the alternative is extinction. So we go through the portal in Lion's Arch and pour heart and blood into defending our world.
- Adventurer: You there. How do I get to the Mist War?
- Mist Warrior Hjalla: You have to go to Lion's Arch to find the portal. You looking to build your legend?
- Adventurer: Yeah, I heard the true battle between good and evil happens in the Mists. I'm ready for a real challenge.
- Elder: Tell me what you hunt today.
- Hunter: Nothing. I'm off to pay respects to the Spirits.
- Elder: Huh. Time was I could visit the hallows daily, but not with these knees.
- Hunter: That's a shame. I'll ask the Spirits to watch over you.
- Kid: I want to know why the Spirits told Asgeir to put Hoelbrak over that big pit. I'm gonna go down into it.
- Elder: Many have tried, but found nothing but darkness.
- Kid: I'll find something down there.
- Elder: The Spirits are wise, and you are wiser for searching for their motives, even if you find nothing.
- Wolfborn: You, listen to what I have to say.
- Wolfborn: This will not do!
- Wolfborn: Bah, I'm done with this.
- Wolfborn (1): Think Eir will return to adventuring one day?
- Wolfborn (2): Of course she will. She's norn!
- Traveler (1): He killed 'em for the skins! And he left the meat behind!
- Traveler (2): We should gather it all up and ship it back home.
- Local: Wow, you actually shut up when I'm talking. I'd go crazy with nobody to listen to me.
- Local: I'll grab your head and make a fist.
- Local: Bones of my ancestors! You and your boots. You lost them, you find them.
- Local: Asura? Bah! Puny bodies hiding behind metal men.
- Local: Pff, last time I got that drunk, my friends rolled me in grub spit and stuck moa feathers all over me.
- Local: I've heard that Skarti Knutsson is torn between his father and his brother over something, but it's all secretive.
- Local: : None of your nonsense! The Spirits gave us our task, and that is what we'll do.
- Local: : Oh ho! Your devotion to Bear is strong. But can you test your mettle against me?
- Local (1) I swear, he was wearing nothing but a helmet!
- Local (2): He does that sometimes.
- Local (1) Storm's coming.
- Local (2): I should hope so.
- Local (1): There's a human taking wagers on the pit fights.
- Local (2): Coin wagering. Bah! There's no pride in that.
- Local (1): Speak for yourself! I'd fight for glory and take their money. I've plenty of uses for coin.
- Local (1): I'm taking Asgeir's lead. I'd rather reach for my dream and die than live and fade away.
- Local (2): You think he reached his dream?
- Local (1): Oh, yes. He showed us we could fight the dragon. If I can make my mark like that, I'll die with a smile.
- Local (1): You stand here so much I'm starting to think you don't do anything else.
- Local (2): Aye. The Might and Main is my second home. Look at it!
- Local (2): Crisp snow, the bite of frozen air, the painful screams from the fighting pit.
- Local (1): You're such a norn.
- Astyr Eyrbirgen: I haven't gone to see Valharantha in a long time. I wonder if she still thinks of me.
- Local (1): I need someone to mend clothes, and I've got plenty of furs.
- Local (2): My wife loves to sew. I'll let her know you're up for a trade.
- Local: It's a good night to hunt.
- Hunter: ??? night?[verification requested]
- Local: Well, yeah. That's why what I said is true.
- Local (1): Finally I told him, "My fist, your face. That's how these things always end.
- Local (2): Seems like you need better luck.
- Local (1): I know. I can never find a solid guy. It couldn't be me.
- Local (2): Impossible. It's always their fault.
- Local (1): I'm in love. I thought it wouldn't happen, but there it is.
- Local (2): Do you even have the energy for that?
- Local (1): Sure. Juggling a couple of males is easy.
- Pit Fighter: Over already?
- Kyril Stansturm: What does this mean? It's so bright and vivid. It's so beautiful.
- Kyril Stansturm: (laugh) It's so intense.
- Artist: I'm going bear hunting soon. You can use the hide for so many things.
- Elder: You don't want the meat?
- Artist: Of course I do! I'm not a wastrel.
- Traveler (1): They're making more ale. They need more grain.
- Traveler (2): Next caravan, we'll make a killing.
- Outside the Bear Lodge
- Eran Kryfjord: Ah, that broodmother took a chunk out of you, didn't she?
- Local (1): She walked out of here a month ago. I don't know if she's coming back.
- Local (2): If she's not here by the spring moot, I think you should move on.
- Local (1): It's a tough choice. I could always go look for her.
- Local (2): That depends on whether she wants to be found.
- Ana Feldarken: Those filthy moles! Polluting Hoelbrak with their stench and grime.
- Urth: So, little brother, what shall we do for fun today?
- Skald: Urth, you're only older by minutes. Why do you continue to call me "little brother"?
- Urth: Because it always rubs you the wrong way.
- Urth: Skuld, could you lift the stone carving of Bear mounted inside Bear Hall?
- Skald: That's nothing, Urth. I could lift that with one arm. Sometimes I doubt we shared the same womb.
- Skald: So Urth, what is the challenge today? Juggling bears?
- Urth: Don't be silly, my challenge for you today is simple. Keep your mouth shut.
- Skald: Agh. What does that have to do with strength sister?
- Urth: Nothing. And I win.
- Skald: You're as cold as the heart of the shiverpeaks.
- Urth: Oh my heart has been wounded by such cold, cruel truth!
- Skald: Urth, how could you possibly think you can lift that statue?
- Urth: It is simple leverage. With the right angle and a long enough plank. I could do it.
- Bear Shaman: Welcome to the shrine, Bear's daughter. How are you?
- Petitioner: My children are happy and healthy. My family prospers.
- Bear Shaman: Then commune with Bear, my child. May her blessings be upon you.
- Bear Shaman: You are hurt child. What troubles you?
- Petitioner: I have survived the depths of the wilderniss. The frost almost killed me. But I have returned.
- Bear Shaman: Bear sustains you. You have her strength. Commune at the shrine and be renewed.
- Farmer: Crush them into the dirt.