The Mastery system is an account-wide progression system available once players reach level 80, the maximum level available. The mastery system interface is accessed through the bottom left tab of the hero panel. The user interface contains several mastery tracks, organized by expansion, with each track typically providing multiple tiered abilities. The abilities gained are unique to each mastery track and include auto-looting, gliding and mounts.
Each mastery ability is permanently acquired by (1) selecting the mastery track as the active track, (2) earning Experience in the appropriate region, (3) going to the marked Mastery Point(s) in the appropriate region (Central Tyria, Heart of Thorns, or Path of Fire) and earning that type of Mastery Point(s), and finally (4) spending those earned mastery points in your chosen Mastery Track.
When you own an expansion, and one of your characters reaches level 80 and fulfills the condition for unlocking a mastery track (listed below), the Masteries tab will unlock in the Hero panel for your account. You can also open this panel by clicking on the experience bar. In this tab, you can select one unlocked mastery track per category as active by clicking on the check mark icon on the left of the chosen mastery's row. There are currently three mastery categories: Central Tyria, Heart of Thorns, and Path of Fire.
All experience gained on any level 80 character on your account while in a given region will be applied to the respective active mastery. You can freely switch the active masteries without any cost, as the amount of experience previously gained will be saved until you return to train that mastery. Once the current active mastery is fully trained by obtaining enough experience, the experience bar will start blinking and you can spend a certain amount of mastery points in the Masteries tab to permanently unlock the mastery on your account. Before you spend the points or switch to train another mastery, any experience gained will be redirected to train the first unlocked, untrained, least progressed mastery track in the list for the same category instead, if one is available. In the case where all tracks have been fully trained but not unlocked, all experience gained will go towards a hidden experience bar which will give spirit shards once all masteries have been unlocked.[research requested]
While training a mastery track, the icon for the mastery ability appears in the bottom right corner to the right of the experience bar. If no tracks are available, the icon area will be blank or the spirit shard icon will be shown (if all Mastery Tracks are completed) instead. To the left of the experience bar, the total number of mastery points spent will be displayed, referred to as your "Mastery rank".
- Primary article: Mastery point unlocks
Mastery points can be spent on selected Mastery tracks; they are earned from completing achievements within the game marked with the relevant mastery point symbol, but may only be spent after reaching level 80.
These achievements include but are not limited to:
- Interacting with Mastery Insight locations
- Completing achievements for a story chapter or step
- Finishing various scavenger hunt/location hunting achievements
- Defeating certain world bosses
- Earning silver or gold in an adventure
- Achieving world completion
Mastery tracks are split by expansion; each expansion has a separate set of mastery points earned by playing its content, which can only be spent on the respective masteries. The Central Tyria tracks are available for owners of any expansion. Before mastery abilities from a given track can be trained, the entire track must be unlocked by completing a certain task.
|Category / Track||Total||Unlock requirement|
|Pact Commander||19||Unlocking a mastery track from another category|
|Legendary Crafting||19||Unlocking a mastery track from another category|
|Fractal Attunement||11||Unlocking a mastery track from another category|
|Heart of Thorns||144|
|Gliding||31||Completing Torn from the Sky|
|Itzel Lore||31||Completing Torn from the Sky|
|Exalted Lore||19||Entering Auric Basin|
|Nuhoch Lore||31||Entering Tangled Depths|
|Raids||8||Killing a boss in the Forsaken Thicket or Bastion of the Penitent raids|
|Ancient Magics||24||Entering Bloodstone Fen or Ember Bay|
|Path of Fire||102|
|Raptor Mount||10||Unlocking the raptor by saving Seeker's Village during Sparking the Flame|
|Springer Mount||14||Purchasing the springer from the Highjump Ranch task vendor in the Desert Highlands|
|Skimmer Mount||14||Purchasing the skimmer from the Skimmer Ranch task vendor in the Elon Riverlands|
|Jackal Mount||14||Purchasing the jackal from the Sand Jackal Run task vendor in the Desolation|
|Griffon Mount||12||Unlocking the griffon by completing the Path of Fire story and the Open Skies collections|
|Roller Beetle Mount||12||Unlocking the roller beetle by entering the Domain of Kourna and completing its collections|
|Skyscale Mount||12||Unlocking the skyscale by completing the War Eternal story and the subsequent collections|
|Crystal Champion||14||Entering any Living World Season 4 zone|
In addition to the above, the Masteries hero panel interface also:
- Indicates the total number of spent mastery points in the top left corner.
- Indicates the total number of available mastery points in the top right corner.
- Shows locked mastery tracks with a padlock.
- The hero panel to change your current mastery cannot be opened by clicking on the experience bar while in combat; the current mastery can, however, be changed at any time in the hero panel if it's opened previously or by any other means.
- Almost all obtained Masteries are active regardless of level. That means even a Level 2 character can glide if Glider Basics has already been unlocked on a Level 80 character on the same account.
- Spectral Aid only becomes active at level 80.
- Experience acquired in maps will only contribute to the masteries that those maps belong to:
- Central Tyria regions (core game), Southsun Cove, and Living World Season 2 zones will contribute to Central Tyria Mastery experience.
- Heart of Thorns and Living World Season 3 zones will contribute to Heart of Thorns Mastery experience.
- Path of Fire and Living World Season 4 zones will contribute to Path of Fire Mastery experience
- Once all tracks in a region are unlocked and completed by unlocking with mastery points, experience goes towards a 254,000 repeatable track to gain 1 .
- If all XP bars are full on all available tracks but not all masteries have been completed, any experience earned will be sent to a hidden experience bar that will give spirit shards once all masteries in that region have been completed.