Mounts are far more than a speed boost—they're a whole new way to explore the world of Tyria. Unlock and train your new companions using the max-level Mastery character progression system, and explore freely by leaping across canyons, bounding up high cliffs, and skimming over quicksand.
— Official site
Types and Mechanics
There are five mounts with the Path of Fire expansion, each tied to the mastery system with their own mastery tracks. Living World Season 4 adds masteries that affect mounts as well as a sixth mount.[verification requested] Each mount has its own unique set of abilities and characteristics; they also possess one offensive skill that, when used, also dismounts the player.
Once unlocked, mounts can be used by any character on the player's account. Mounts can be summoned any time using the default key. Right-clicking the skill icon will also allow you to choose one of your unlocked mounts. Pressing the same key will dismount you a short distance from the ground, meaning you can dismount and then glide. Player characters themselves are immune to fall damage while mounted; with certain exceptions, they will instead be forcibly dismounted and knockdowned. This does not, however, impact the mount in any way; the player can mount again once the character recovers.
A player cannot mount while in combat, in a Mounts Disabled zone, or an area where the mount would not fit. Being in combat does not affect the movement speed of a mount. Entering a Mounts Disabled zone will dismount the player.
Mounts' health, stamina and engage skill damage are all separate and independent from the player's gear. Default key for Mount Action 1 isand Mount Action 2 is
|Mount||Unlocked by||Engage Skill||Jump (regular) [M 1]||Jump (conditional) [M 2]||Mount Action 1||Mount Action 2||Additional abilities|
|Raptor||Complete Sparking the Flame||Tail Spin||Hop|| Forward Leap (if moving forward) [M 3]
|Forward Leap [M 3]|
|Springer|| Complete Help out around Highjump Ranch
and purchase for 50 Trade Contracts and 1 .
|Cannonball||Hop|| High Jump (if stationary)
|Skimmer|| Complete Use a skimmer to help with training around the ranch
and purchase for 50 Trade Contracts and 4 .
|Barrel Roll||Levitate||Levitate||Levitate|| Floats above water and some environmental hazards|
Immunity to falling damage
|Jackal|| Complete Help Drojkor, Spirit Squall, control jackals
and purchase for 200 Trade Contracts and 20
(200 Trade Contracts and 30 40 if heart not completed the day of purchase)
|Pounce||Hop|| Teleport (if airborne)[M 4]
|Teleport [M 4]||Using Sand Portals (needs tier 3 mastery)|
|Griffon||Completing the Open Skies collections||Swoop|| Hop (on the ground)
Flap (if airborne)
| Hop (on the ground)
Flap (if airborne)
|Dive (if airborne)||Rise (if airborne and have speed from diving)||Immunity to falling damage|
|Roller Beetle||Unknown, introduced with Long Live the Lich||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown|
- ^ The option Disable Conditional Mount Movement Ability Input must be checked.
- ^ The option Disable Conditional Mount Movement Ability Input must be unchecked.
- ^ a b Leap in the direction the character is facing, can turn in midair.
- ^ a b Dematerialize for 0.5 seconds while moving quickly in the direction the camera is facing.
List of mount skins
- See also: Gallery of mount skins
- Mounts can be dyed.
- The Options game menu allows you to set key bindings for specific mounts after you've unlocked them. There are no default keybindings for selecting specific mounts.
- Mounts benefit from certain bonuses from runes, sigils, food, and utility items, but not profession-specific bonuses.
- For example, mounts do not gain the 50% fall damage reduction bonus from, say, Peak Performance, nor do they gain the +toughness from having 1, 3, and 5 Snowfall runes.
- They benefit from Accuracy sigils in a currently equipped weapon. Superior Sigil of Accuracy causes the mount to have 11% baseline crit chance.
- They gain the +HP/second bonus from Tropical Peppermint Cakes, but not the Vitality bonus.
- They do not gain +Endurance regeneration from food or Vigor.
- The mount endurance bar percentage is shared between mounts, but not shared with the endurance bar when dismounted. It regenerates normally while dismounted, which means rapidly re-mounting (including to a different mount) may mean the mount will not be at full endurance.
- Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns introduced enemies which used mounts, namely the Zintl Cavalier and the Mordrem Guard Cavalier. However, these enemies did not use a proper mount system. Instead, the mounted enemy would begin attacking as a singular enemy model with shared animations and a single health pool which was replaced by two "unmounted" models with a reduced health pool via a transitional shakeoff animation after the enemy had received a certain amount of damage.
- Only the Raptor mount and its first two mastery skills were available during the Path of Fire preview weekend. It could still be dyed during preview.
- Mount sizes do not scale based on the race of the player character; instead they scale based on the height of the character. For example, a short asura will ride a raptor that is the same size as a raptor that a short charr rides.
- Travel toys
- Developer Diary: Joy of Movement on Mounts
- Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire – Expansion Feature – Mounts
- Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire – Developer Diary – Mounts
- Mount Speed Information
- Dev Comments/Video on Reddit regarding Griffon Use