Effect refers to any kind of status that alters the state and standard characteristics of characters or NPCs. Active effects on characters can be seen in the effects monitor, directly to the right of the health orb. When a target is selected, active effects on that target can be seen underneath their health bar. Most effects are temporary; however, certain NPCs can possess permanent effects such as invulnerability or unshakable.
While many effects are unique and limited to a couple sources or NPCs, there are some common effects seen in the game. There are several groups of effects that play an integral role in combat:
- Buffs and debuffs:
- Boons — effects that have a positive impact on characters and mobs. All boons can be removed once applied.
- Conditions — effects that have a negative impact on affected targets. All conditions can be removed once applied.
- Control effects — effects that temporarily control a foe's ability to move and/or use skills. Control effects can be broken by stun break skills.
- Nourishments — effects that provide various bonuses to attributes and other effects. They are obtained from food consumables, feast and ascended feast.
- Enhancements — effects that provide various bonuses to attributes, usually percentage-based. They are obtained from utility consumables and potions.
Effects from skills
- Common effects
- Leader of the Pact (I, II, III) - from the Pact Commander mastery.
- Celeritas Spores - from Speed Boost Mushrooms after training Blazing Speed Mushrooms.
Location/Encounter specific effects
- Karmic Retribution