Effect refers to any kind of status that alters the state and standard characteristics of characters or NPCs. Active effects on characters can be seen in the effects monitor, directly to the right of the health orb. When a target is selected, active effects on that target can be seen underneath their health bar. Most effects are temporary; however, certain NPCs can possess permanent effects such as invulnerability or unshakable.
While many effects are unique and limited to a couple sources or NPCs, there are some common effects seen in the game. There are four primary groups of effects that play an integral role in combat:
- Boons — effects that have a positive impact on characters and mobs. All boons can be removed once applied.
- Conditions — effects that have a negative impact on affected targets. All conditions can be removed once applied.
- Control effects — effects that temporarily control a foe's ability to move and/or use skills. Control effects can be broken by stun break skills.
Effects from skills
- Common effects
- Profession-specific effects
- Attunements, Soothing Mist, Stone Heart, Glyph of Elementals, Glyph of Lesser Elementals and Conjures
- A.E.D., Utility Goggles and Pinpoint Distribution
- Virtues, Binding Blade and Strength in Numbers
- Spear of Justice
- Quickfire, Ashes of the Just, Eternal Oasis and Unbroken Lines
- Blur, Distortion
- Mirage Cloak
- Shrouds, Vampiric Presence and Last Rites
- Spirits and Spotter
- Natural Mender, Lingering Light, and Glyph of the Stars
- Twice as Vicious
- Enchanted Daggers, Impossible Odds, Vicious Lacerations, Assassin's Presence, Vengeful Hammers and Rite of the Great Dwarf
- Kalla's Fervor, Breakrazor's Bastion, Razorclaw's Rage and Soulcleave's Summit
- Deadeye's Mark
- Banners, Brave Stride, Peak Performance, Berserker's Power, Furious, Adrenal Health, Rousing Resilience and Empower Allies
- Berserk and Feel No Pain
- Attacker's Insight, Magebane Tether and Winds of Disenchantment
- Leader of the Pact (I, II, III) - from the Pact Commander mastery.
- Celeritas Spores - from Speed Boost Mushrooms after training Blazing Speed Mushrooms.
Location/Encounter specific effects
- Karmic Retribution