Mastering jungle movement will unlock the ability to hang glide to previously unreachable locations. When you train the Gliding Mastery, you’ll have the option to soar freely through the treetops, escape the dangers that await you on the jungle floor, use the air to your advantage in combat against certain foes, and save yourself from accidental death by slipping.
— Official site
Gliders can only be used after learning the Glider Basics mastery, and may be deployed in most open world maps, Heart of Thorns instanced content (e.g. personal story missions), and the Heart of the Mists outpost. Gliders cannot be activated in PvP maps or in central Tyria instanced content (such as dungeons or personal story instances).
Further upgrades to the gliding mastery improve the speed, control and durability of the glider.
Once unlocked, gliding can be used by any character on the player's account. Provided that the player is not attempting to glide in a restricted area, marked by the Gliding Disabled effect, the glider will be deployed either by pressing the jump key in mid-air, or by holding down the jump key after jumping; it will not appear if the player has not jumped far enough off the ground.
The glider will automatically fold-up when the player lands, or when the player "jumps" while gliding which causes the player to start falling. The player will be briefly revealed immediately following deployment and landing.
In PvP, gliding is not possible; in WvW, gliding is unlocked separately from PvE, through spending World Ability Points for the War Gliding Mastery, though Heart of Thorns is still required. Gliding is possible only in territories controlled by one's own world.
- Primary article: Heart of Maguuma mastery tracks#Gliding
|Glider Basics||508,000||1||Gain access to the glider so that you can glide like a squirrel across the highest points of the Heart of Maguuma.|
|Updraft Use||1,016,000||2||Improved design to your glider handles and slits in the wings let you confidently fly into updrafts, allowing you to gain altitude and travel to previously unreachable locations.|
|Lean Techniques||1,778,000||3||Learn the gliding technique of leaning forward to increase your gliding speed and leaning back to brake midair at the cost of endurance. Your improved technique also increases your total endurance pool when gliding.|
|Stealth Gliding||2,540,000||5||Learn to glide silently and undetected through the air for short periods by dodging while gliding.|
|Advanced Gliding||3,302,000||8||Learn to glide with such efficiency that you no longer use endurance to stay up in the air, only to perform lean techniques.|
|Ley Line Gliding||4,318,000||12||Learn to enter ley-line energy flows while gliding to be moved along with the flow, gaining access to otherwise inaccessible places.|
List of gliding skills
Only available in the Slay the octovine! (eastgate) boss fight.
|1||Drop Bomb||Drop a bomb while gliding.|
|2||Drop Bomb||Drop a bomb while gliding.|
|3||Drop Bomb||Drop a bomb while gliding.|
|1||Glider Bomb||½||2||Throw a mortar that explodes with force, doing bonus damage to the Mouth of Mordremoth and his minions.|
Gliding skills in Lake Doric are only available after gliding on a ley line and last until you land.
|1||Focused Magic||1½||Shoot a beam at your foe. The farther away they are, the less damage you deal.|
|2||Unstable Magic Volley||1||5||Release a volley of unstable magic on the target area, damaging and knocking down foes, and applying a random condition.|
|3||Pacified Magical Storm||20||Call down a pacified magical storm on the target area, healing, curing conditions from allies, and granting regeneration to allies once every second.|
|4||Dogfight or Flight||8||Use the power of wind to evade attacks and heal yourself.|
|5||Ride the Ley Line||5||Focus unbound magic to create a ley line and propel yourself forward. Warning: Crossing streams with other ley lines is deadly!|
Fighting The Shatterer
|1||Drop Bombs||1||2||Drop bombs on target area, damaging and knocking down foes.|
|2||Drop Med Kits||½||5||Drop three med kits to be collected in the target area; players in the target area are healed and gain protection.|
|3||Consume Med Kit||¼||30||Consume a med kit to heal yourself and gain regeneration.|
|1||Throw Artifact||3||Throws artifacts at the unchained wyvern, damaging its defiance bar.|
|2||Roll Left||5||Use the artifact to propel yourself to the left.|
|3||Dash||5||Use the artifact to boost yourself forward.|
|4||Roll Right||5||Use the artifact to propel yourself to the right.|
Glider skins can be unlocked account-wide by purchasing them in the Gem Store or by crafting legendary back items which also unlock the glider version. The skins have only cosmetic effects; there are no gameplay advantages associated with them.
List of glider skins
- See also: Gallery of gliders
- Tangled Depths: Cloak and Snagger — Bypass the Mordrem snipers using Stealth Gliding and steal their supplies! (1)
- Tangled Depths: Pulse Room Glider — Fly to the place of power in the Ley-Line Confluence. (1)
- Tangled Depths: The Longest Glide — Glide from the Mordrem migration path in SCAR Field Operations all the way to Dragon's Passage. (5 )
- Out of the Shadows: Reversal of Fortune — Hit the ghostly justiciar with aerial attacks when he portals you into the air. (1 )
- Out of the Shadows: Don't Cross the Streams — Use ley-line magic in the middle of a ley line. (1 )
- Upon release of the Heart of Thorns expansion, gliding was restricted to the expansion-related areas. The Winter update of 2016 added gliding to central Tyria, though gliding remains disabled in certain instances and locations such as Personal story and Home instances, Dungeons, some jumping puzzles and PvP maps outside of Heart of the Mists.
- Gliding in WvW was originally disabled following the release of the Heart of Thorns expansion but was added in the August 8, 2017 game update. The War Gliding mastery upgrade must first be unlocked on a character to be able to use it.