Kryta will win through. As we ever have. Just leave everything to me.
Legate Minister Lord Caudecus Beetlestone the Wise is the charismatic and cunning Legate Minister of the Krytan Ministry and father of Demmi Beetlestone. As Legate Minister, he is responsible for overseeing the functions of the Ministry. The Commander of the Ministry Guard reports directly to him.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Locations
- 3 Story involvement
- 4 Combat abilities
- 5 Dialogue
- 6 Related achievements
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Notes
- 9 Trivia
- 10 See also
- 11 References
Caudecus Beetlestone married the cousin of Lady Wi and fathered Demmi Beetlestone. He served as a general in the War of Ascalon Independence until the eventual truce between humans and charr which he opposed ever since. With his experience and popularity, Caudecus rose to the position of Legate Minister in the Krytan Ministry and emerged as a serious political rival to Queen Jennah, whose egalitarian rule had eroded her support with the nobility, and whose failure to hold back the centaurs and bandits plaguing Kryta had caused some of the common folk to begin to doubt the queen's ability to defend her nation.
In addition to his activities in Divinity's Reach, Caudecus was credited with the expansion of Beetletun, home to both his own mansion and a statue of himself. His carnivals allowed him to amass a fortune which in turn allowed him to retain the services of many Ministry Guards and Seraph. According to Caudecus, the number of Ministry Guards is the reason why the bandits and centaurs did not attack Beetletun and allowed his shire to be relatively prosperous.
Caudecus's wife died several years ago, reportedly killed by bandits, which left their daughter Demmi as his only family. Lady Wi stepped in as a godmother to Demmi, being the young Demmi's guide while the Legate Minister was busy handling administrative matters. Caudecus himself became interested in Logan Thackeray, Captain of the Seraph, and decorated Beetlestone Manor with several paintings of the captain, including his bedroom, for reasons that only he knew.
Around this time, Caudecus also met Lieutenant Serentine of the Ministry Guard who was asking for his help when the Seraph were taking over the case of solving the murder of Minister Brios by bandits. The Legate Minister revealed his dislike for the Seraph's incompetence but suggested that Serentine follow the queen's orders while he would make sure that the Ministry Guard was not at fault should the perpetrators not be found. Serentine was eventually promoted to Commander, and she served Caudecus loyally since.
In 1325 AE, Caudecus became suspected of orchestrating various bandit operations, the capture of the Falcon Company and framing Minister Arton for their supposed deaths, as well as being behind Minister Zamon's dealings with the bandits. However, no solid proof was provided for any of these cases as most of the suspects ended up dead, preventing prosecution. Through his contacts, Caudecus learned of the assassination plot headed by the White Mantle Confessor Esthel and sent an anonymous letter to the enigmatic spymaster E who responded with a thinly veiled threat should the lead run cold. However, the rumors ultimately turned out to be true, and Shining Blade operatives raided the White Mantle hideout at the Hunting Lodge, ending Confessor Esthel's life and the schemes of her White Mantle cell in one blow.
During this time Caudecus took note of the Hero of Shaemoor, who had been involved in solving many of the cases which had threatened the queen's regime, and gently offering counsel to the Hero. However, the Hero grew suspicious of the Legate Minister after investigating the cases and Caudecus's suspected albeit unproven involvement in them with Logan Thackeray and Countess Anise. Later, these suspicions grew when Demmi Beetlestone defected to the Order of Whispers with the help of Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw while claiming to have evidence of shady dealings by her father. Caudecus dispatched Ministry Commander Landon to recover Demmi, but the commander perished during an ambush.
Frustrated by his daughter's rebellion and learning that Lady Wi may have been an encouraging influence behind Demmi's actions, Caudecus set his sights on Lady Wi's young and impressionable daughter Valette Wi. The Legate Minister began supporting Valette's violin playing with expensive gifts as a patron. He had private meetings with her during which Valette became convinced that the queen's administration was lacking and that Caudecus's political faction would be needed to make things right for Krytans.
Caudecus hosted a party at his estate, Beetlestone Manor, to celebrate the human-charr détente. There, he promised to unveil a new creation by Uzolan the Artist, his personal inventor, who turned out to be behind a Separatist plot by Captain Monique DeLana to kill Queen Jennah. Fortunately, the soon-to-be Pact Commander, Captain Logan Thackeray, and Zojja were able to stop the plot before either the queen or the Legate Minister could come to harm. Following this, at Jennah's insistence, Caudecus was taken back to the Royal Palace where he remained, officially for his safety, as his manor was investigated for further Separatist and bandit activities.
Caudecus fled from the Royal Palace in 1329 AE, prompting the Shining Blade officer Canach, the Pact Commander, and members of the Dragon's Watch guild to track him down and bring him back by any means necessary. When found in Bloodstone Fen experimenting on Bloodstone shards, Caudecus revealed himself as the current Confessor of the White Mantle and announced his plan to take over the Krytan throne from Queen Jennah by force.
However, the sudden arrival of Lazarus, the last mursaat whom a faction led by High Inquisitor Xera had been attempting to revive behind Caudecus's back, led to the White Mantle splintering into two factions when Caudecus refused to submit to Lazarus, who in turn branded Caudecus as a heretic. Before he could be killed, Caudecus fled once more with the assistance of his mesmer underling, Lady Valette Wi, to continue his schemes elsewhere.
After escaping, Caudecus gathered his resources, sent letters to the White Mantle in hopes of preventing them from joining Lazarus' schism while proclaiming the mursaat a "false god", and led a siege on Divinity's Reach from Lake Doric in 1330 AE. The siege was quickly turned back by the Seraph, bolstered by the Sentinels, due to his White Mantle's weakened state by defectors.
Witnessing his plans crashing around him, the Confessor was ultimately forced to take shelter as he sought out to unleash a "contingency plan" in his desperation. As he did so, Canach and a group of Shining Blade infiltrated the manor, but were all killed or captured. Following the loss of contact with Canach's squad, the Pact Commander, Demmi Beetlestone, and Countess Anise infiltrated the manor from the Hidden Falls Dock connecting to Lake Doric to bring down the traitorous minister for good.
Discarded letters found while navigating through the manor revealed that Caudecus had not only been behind the fall of Falcon Company and Minister Zamon, but he also ordered Commander Serentine to free captured bandits, had Captain Tervelan butcher Ulgoth the Mighty's family to further spur the Centaur War, hired Separatists as his carnival workers and spurred the Ringmaster and Captain DeLana's attacks, and orchestrated the death of Confessor Esthel, his predecessor, through feeding E with information on the White Mantle.
When Caudecus was finally found in the Grand Salon in his manor alongside Valette, he had begun to go crazed from consuming large amounts of empowering Bloodstone. During the fight, the Confessor admitted to having his wife murdered and fatally shot Demmi, prompting Valette to switch sides as she realized how unhinged Caudecus had become. Before he could be caught, the Confessor retreated to a lower dungeon decorated with his own face across the walls. By the time the Commander's party reached him with Valette's help, Caudecus had grown to become an unrecognizable version of himself, partially becoming a bloodstone abomination. Here, in the depths of his manor, Caudecus, the ambitious puppetmaster who had engineered so many plots against Kryta over the years, was finally killed.
Further investigation of the manor after Caudecus's death revealed that he had obtained an artifact, which supposedly held the fifth and final aspect of Lazarus, from Justiciar Bauer who had been working for both Caudecus and Xera. Caudecus's journal claimed that without the last aspect the ritual to revive the fallen mursaat should have failed, which explained Caudecus's surprise at seeing Lazarus appear in Bloodstone Fen. The revelation prompted the Pact Commander to investigate whether the Lazarus encountered earlier was a real mursaat or an imposter.
- Chapter 1: Krytan Politics
- Chapter 2: Shadows of the Past
- Episode 1: Out of the Shadows
- Episode 4: The Head of the Snake
- Bloodstone Crazed (only during Confessor's End)
- Bloodstone-Infused Shield (only during Confessor's End; second fight)
- Power Overwhelming (only during Confessor's End;second fight, when defiance bar is broken.)
Slice (thief skill) - Slice your foe.
Slash (thief skill) - Slash your foe again.
- Cripple your foe with a final strike. Crippling Strike -
- stunning them, then slash repeatedly with your sword. Pistol Whip - Pistol-whip your foe,
- vulnerable with a body shot. Body Shot - Make your foe
- Daze your foe with a head shot. Head Shot -
During first Confessor's End fight only:
- Filthy Peasant! - High damage, single-attack delayed shadowstep skill that Launches foes. Enables Counter Magic special action skill to reduce damage, prevent launch, and breaks Caudecus' defiance bar.
During second Confessor's End fight only:
- Make way for the confessor! - High damage delayed shadowstep skill that launches foes and is followed by three Filthy Peasant! skills. Enables Counter Magic special action skill to reduce damage and prevent launch.
- Confessor's Rage - AoE damage attack
- condition in an area around the impact. Throw Unstable Bloodstone Fragment - Throw a shard at the target, applying a random
- Stolen skills
- <Character's race>, if you're satisfying your curiosity about our kingdom's inner workings, you should visit the Chamber of Ministers. My schedule does not accommodate trivialities.
- All right.
- If human
- Do you have a complaint? If so, I suggest you speak with one of the lower Ministers. My schedule does not accommodate trivialities.
- Right. Good-bye.
- If charr
- Ahem. I suggest you trouble someone else with your attention, charr. My schedule does not accommodate trivialities.
- I can tell when I'm not wanted.
|Confessor's Stronghold||Out of the Shadows||10|
|Pursue and capture Lord Caudecus Beetlestone.Journal: Confessor's Stronghold||Confronted the Minister in the Colloseum of the Faithful||0|
|Head of the Snake||The Head of the Snake||10|
| Bring a decisive end to the Confessor's ambitions.
||Completed the Confessor's End Mission||0|
|Illuminating||The Head of the Snake||1|
|Drop a chandelier on a certain unsuspecting foe.Bringing down the house.||Dropped a Chandelier on Caudecus's Head||1|
|Master of Puppets||The Head of the Snake||8|
|Collect private letters scattered about Beetlestone Manor.||Found 1 of Caudecus's Letters||1|
|Found 10 of Caudecus's Letters||2|
|Found 21 of Caudecus's Letters||5|
|Riddle Me This||The Head of the Snake||1|
|Complete Confessor's End without answering any riddle question incorrectly.And be ready with your favorite color.||Solved All Riddles without a Mistake||1|
- Concept art
- Ponder Lord Beetlestone is a trophy required for the The Juggernaut I: The Experimental Hammer legendary weapon collection.
- Caudecus Beetlestone is named and modeled after ArenaNet Environment Art Lead Dave Beetlestone.
- Caduceus is the staff carried by Hermes Trismegistus in Greco-Egyptian mythology and Hermes in Greek mythology. The same staff was also borne by heralds in general, for example by Iris, the messenger of Hera.
- Caudecus is voiced by Mark Bramhall.
- Caudecus's abomination form in Confessor's End is caused by the same condition that Matthias Gabrel has in Salvation Pass. except that Caudecus's case is at a much earlier state, thus weaker than Matthias's abomination form.
- Associated items
- Confessor Caudecus's Mask
- Haunted Loveseat
- Lord Caudecus's Pistol Skin
- Lord Caudecus's Sword Skin
- Portrait of Caudecus
- ^ The Line of Duty – The Three Military Orders of Kryta
- ^ a b c Master of Puppets
- ^ Justiciar Bauer's Memoirs Justiciar Bauer: Knowing the confessor's priorities, I emphasized the potential weaponization of the bloodstone's power and mentioned Operation Rebirth as only a secondary objective. I hate to be dishonest about our true intentions, but I am sure a faithful servant of the Unseen Ones such as the confessor will be forgiven when face-to-face with our god!