Corrupted Wolverine Spirit
Corrupted Wolverine Spirit
May my valor guide you to the victory I once sought.
Following the Elder Dragon Jormag's awakening in 1165 AE, the norn tried to defend their lands in the Far Shiverpeaks from its corruption and destruction, but they were no match for the Ice Dragon. Wolverine was one of the Spirits of the Wild—alongside Ox and Eagle—who stayed behind after Owl's apparent demise and fought the Elder Dragon to give the norn the time to prepare for their exodus to the south. The norn did not know what had happened to Wolverine since the exodus, and the Spirit was revered with great sorrow, along with the other Spirits who had stayed behind, at the dedicated shrines of Lost Spirits' Hallow in Hoelbrak.
No norn had been blessed to serve as havroun to Wolverine in generations although it was unknown if this was because of Wolverine's demise or because it was common for weaker Spirits, or those not close to the physical realm of Tyria, to be without a havroun.
During the Vigil's exploration of Bjora Marches in 1332 AE, several Aberrant creatures with a green aura—ranging from Vigil members to local wildlife—were found roaming around various magically potent locations such as the Aberrant Forest and the Ravenfrost Caverns. In the latter area, Sons of Svanir necromancers were conducting macabre rituals on victims with Ritual Anchors and turning the summoned spirits into hostile Aberrant.
After learning that the Aberrant were minions of Jormag, Researcher Yarixx found a way to manipulate their spirit essence of Valor to turn them strong and weak against other minions of Jormag—Fallen and the Sons of Svanir—who had been infused with the essences of Resilience and Vigilance related to other lost Spirits of the Wild. Beyond the existence of the Aberrant and their ties to Jormag, there was no other clue about the ultimate fate of Wolverine.
As the years passed, the fleeing kodan of Still Waters Speaking who were stranded in Bjora Marches discovered the Lost Spirits' actual fate, however. Ox, Eagle and Wolverine had failed to defeat Jormag, and had been taken and corrupted via the Ice Dragon's tempting whispers which had offered them power. Drakkar, Jormag's champion, gained the corrupted Spirits' protection while it fed on their infinite well of magic.
In 1333 AE, Wolf summoned Braham Eirsson, who had fulfilled the first part of a norn prophecy via cracking Jormag's impervious fang, to Sifhalla Ruins in Bjora Marches. There, the Great Spirit instructed Braham and his companions to travel to the corrupted Spirits' shrines and demand their power in order to use their magic against Drakkar and stop the far-reaching whispers, which were plaguing the Far Shiverpeaks, so Braham could become a true norn.
Braham fulfilled Wolf's quest by visiting the shrines. With the help of the Pact Commander, norn shamans and other adventurers who were dedicated to the Spirits, he was able to summon each of the Spirits so he could ask for their aid. Once the party had cleansed the corrupted Wolverine shrine, the Spirit initially dismissed Braham as a coward without valor, figthing only for himself, only to impress and to prove out of fear. Braham assuredly admitted that he wants indeed to prove himself and earn his legend, and added that doubt is not a weakness, but makes him want to be stronger, knowing he can be better. Wolverine was convinced enough to give Braham his valor for the battle ahead.
After Braham had gained all the three Spirits' blessings and the Commander had smashed the idols of Jormag whose magic had been rejuvenating the dragon champion, the party tracked Drakkar into its lair where the whispers tried to turn the party members against one another. Crecia Stoneglow and Rytlock Brimstone fell to the whispers and attacked their companions, but the Pact Commander successfully tricked them to direct their attacks on the icy walls of the lair instead to force Drakkar into the open. As the dragon champion emerged from the ice, Braham channeled the powers of Ox, Eagle, and Wolverine who manifested in the lair. Stripped of its magical protection, Drakkar was defeated in a blinding flash, and the Lost Spirits vanished as the dragon champion drew its last breath.
Despite their victory over Drakkar, the corrupted Spirits were unable to wrestle free from Jormag's influence. Wolverine's Aberrant minions continued fighting alongside the icebrood and the corrupted charr of the Frost Legion who had emerged in the Drizzlewood Coast.
- Episode 2: Shadow in the Ice
- Episode 4: Jormag Rising
Voice in the Deep (as an ally)
- Night Terror - A powerful blast that deals immense damage and pulls lesser creatures into its destruction.
Arena of the Wolverine
- Scorcher - Drops fire fields that damage and burn foes.
- Captor - Traps players in difficult-to-escape snares.
- Flash Freeze - Time jumps to avoid chilling pulses.
- Brutal Mauling - Lashes down at the player with both paws. Inflicts Bleeding. (only during Arena of the Wolverine) 4
- Paw Swipe - Attempts to hit the player with his paw. (only during Arena of the Wolverine)
- Stolen skills
Places of worship
- Howler III: Howl: Lost Spirit's Memory — Kneel before the monuments in the Lost Spirits' Hallow in Hoelbrak.
- The Moot III: The Energizer: Pour One Out for the Lost Spirits — Honor Owl, Wolverine, and Ox by pouring out a Draught of Hunter's Ale at their shrines.
- Shadow in the Ice: A Bountiful Pastime — Defeat the champions wandering the West Bjora Marches. (5 )
- Shadow in the Ice: Acolyte of the Lost Spirits — Earn gold participation in 20 Ox, Eagle, or Wolverine shrine events. (5 )
- Drakkar: Wolverine's Revelation — Defeat the Wolverine's Champion Boneskinner while fighting Drakkar in Bjora Marches. (5 )
- Daily Icebrood Saga: Daily Corrupted Spirit Cleansing — Complete Corrupted Spirit events in West Bjora Marches. (0)
- Daily Icebrood Saga: Daily Drizzlewood Coast Arena of the Wolverine — Complete the Arena of the Wolverine adventure in Northern Drizzlewood Coast. (0)
- Jormag Rising: Arena of the Wolverine: Gold — Complete the Arena of the Wolverine adventure with a gold ranking. (3 )
- Jormag Rising: Arena of the Wolverine: Silver — Complete the Arena of the Wolverine adventure with a silver or better ranking. (2 )
- Jormag Rising: Impressive Pugilist — Use impressive maneuvers to impress the Spirit of the Wild with your fighting prowess while inside the Arena of the Wolverine. (3)
- Wolverine is voiced by Tommie Earl Jenkins.
- Aberrant enemies in Bjora Marches drop essence orbs of Valor which share the likeness of Wolverine.
- Associated items
- ^ a b Skuld
- ^ Skaald Stjarna
- ^ Gamal
- ^ A Spirit of Legend
- ^ Chasing Ghosts
- Cloudseeker: Drakkar is protected, and not by any ordinary magic.
- Braham Eirsson: Impossible... Ox, Eagle, Wolverine?
- Braham Eirsson: The lost Spirits of the Wild! I thought Jormag killed them. We all did.
- Cloudseeker: Not killed. Taken. Now Drakkar feeds on them—an infinite well of power.
- ^ Still Waters Speaking
- Wolf Spirit: You cracked the Fang of the Serpent. Fate now decrees you will either slay Jormag or fall to Jormag.
- Wolf Spirit: All Spirits know this. Even when taken and corrupted. You must go to their shrines. Demand their power.
- Braham Eirsson: Demand? Will they even listen to me.
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: No. You'll have to make them.
- ^ Shadow in the Ice