Movement Speed can be expressed in units per second (u/s). Forward motion is fastest, and can be increased by various bonuses. Entering combat reduces this speed by about 30%. Forward speed is used whenever the forward key is held, including when holding e.g. forward and right simultaneously.
Sideways or backward motion is much slower than forward motion and both are unaffected by movement speed increases and/or being in combat. The backpedaling speed is used whenever the backward key is pressed, including when holding e.g. backward and right simultaneously.
|Direction||Out of combat
Walking speed is 80 units per second in all directions, both in combat and out of combat. Falling speed is 1024 u/s unmounted.
Movement speed bonuses and debuffs
Most movement speed increases do not stack with each other—only the greatest value takes effect. For example, a character under the effect of Signet of Air (+25%) and swiftness (+33%) will only move 33% faster. Maximum movement speed is universally capped at 400 units per second; this translates to 136% of base out-of-combat speed, but 190% of base in-combat speed. As such, the capped movement speed can be achieved out-of-combat with a mere 40% movement speed increase, whereas in-combat this requires a 100% increase i.e. Superspeed. Superspeed only makes use of its full 100% increase while in combat.
Debuffs like Crippled (-50%) and Chilled (-66%) subtract from the total move speed modifier, and Rising Momentum and swim-speed infusions add their effects on top of it. Thus, a character with swiftness, superspeed, a speed booster, a writ of speed, cripple, and one stack of Rising Momentum would have
100 (strongest bonus out of the first four effects) - 50 + 5 = 55% bonus speed, or
210 * 1.55 = 325.5 u/s.
Sideways and backward motion cannot be increased beyond their base levels by any effect, including Superspeed.
|Guild Swiftness Banner Boost||+15%||115%||241.5||65%||136.5||49%||102.9|
|Signet of Air||+25%||125%||262.5||75%||157.5||59%||123.9|
|Blessing of Elements||+40%||140%||294||90%||189||74%||155.4|
|Relic of Speed with Swiftness||+66%||166%||348.6||116%||243.6||100%||210|
Maximizing movement speed
The following example combinations of effects result in the maximum speed out of combat:
|Relic of Speed with Swiftness||+66%||136%||400|
|Swiftness with Woven Stride||+40%||136%||400|
|Swiftness + 1x Rising Momentum||+38%||136%||400|
The following example combinations of effects result in the maximum speed in combat:
|Relic of Speed with Swiftness + 5x Rising Momentum||+91%||190%||400|
|Impossible Odds + 8x Rising Momentum||+90%||190%||400|
On a slope, the numbers above apply to the total speed (horizontal + vertical). As a consequence, the horizontal speed is lower.
Underwater swimming speed is very similar to running speed on land. Base speeds and the effect of buffs like swiftness are the same in every direction. Swim-speed infusions provide an additive bonus to forward speed on top of most buffs, but are still subject to the 400 u/s speed cap. This means a +10 infusion and swiftness will hit the cap when out of combat, but even the +30 infusion increases speed in combat.
|Effect(s)||Bonus||Speed Out of Combat||Speed In Combat|
|Swim-Speed Infusion +10 + Swiftness||+43%||136%||400||143%||300.3|
|Swim-Speed Infusion +30 + Swiftness||+63%||136%||400||163%||342.3|
|Swim-Speed Infusion +24 + Relic of Speed with Swiftness||+90%||136%||400||190%||400|
|Swim-Speed Infusion +10 + Impossible Odds + 6x Rising Momentum||+90%||136%||400||190%||400|
While gliding, the horizontal speed is 294 u/s, and 390 u/s when leaning forward. The vertical speed is around 113 u/s in both cases.
550 (land and underwater)
850 (water surfaces)
200 (backwards everywhere)
1200 (dive lvl 1)[verification requested]
2000 (dive lvl 2)
|Roller Beetle||61 (Walk)|
130 (backwards in PvE)
|Siege Turtle||28 (Walk)|
382 (Unboosted, teal bar)
588 (Unboosted, red bar)
650 (with Overdrive)
- ^ Caps at 610 on flat ground without boosting.
|Relic of Speed with Swiftness||+66%|
|Blessing of Elements||+40%|
|Leader of the Pact (I, II, III)||+5%, +15%, +33% in major cities|
|Rising Momentum||+5% for each point of active upkeep|
Stacks with other movement speed increases
|Ferocious Symbiosis||+5% per stack, up to 5 stacks|
Stacks with other movement speed increases[verification requested]
|Hamstrung||-1% for each 1% missing health (max of 70%)|
|Unseen Burden||-1% for each stack up to 99 stacks|
|Immobile||Unable to move or turn.|
|Stun||Unable to move or turn.|
- Impossible Odds — Movement Speed Increase: 50%
- Shift Signet — Movement Speed Increase: 25%
- "Sic 'Em!" — "Sic 'Em!" (10s): +40% Damage, +40% Movement Speed
- Signet of the Hunt — Signet of the Hunt: +25% Movement Speed
- Signet of Shadows — Movement Speed Increase: 25%
- Mist Form — Movement Speed Increase: 66%
- Signet of Air — Signet of Air: +25% Movement Speed
- Signet of the Locust — Movement Speed Increase: 25%
- Dagger Storm — Movement Speed Increase: 100%
- Weave Self — Woven Air: +50% Movement Speed, +10% Damage; Perfect Weave (10s): +20% Boon Duration, +20% Healing Increase to Others, +20% Condition Damage, -20% Incoming Damage, +50% Movement Speed , +10% Damage
Traits that increase movement speed
- Soaring Devastation (Dragonhunter) — Wings of Resolve delivers an attack upon landing. Movement speed is increased when Wings of Resolve is not on cooldown.
- Righteous Sprint (Willbender) — Gain increased movement speed. Gain swiftness when you activate a virtue.
- Rising Momentum (Herald) — Gain increased movement speed for each point of upkeep currently in use.
- Aggressive Onslaught (Strength) — Gain quickness when you disable an enemy. While you have quickness, your movement speed is increased. This stacks with other movement speed increases.
- Warrior's Sprint (Discipline) — Run faster while wielding melee weapons, and deal increased strike damage while you have swiftness. Movement skills break immobilization when used.
- Mecha Legs (Inventions) — Movement speed is increased. Cripple, chill, and immobilize durations are reduced.
- Pet's Prowess (Beastmastery) — Your pet moves faster and deals more damage on critical hits.
- Ferocious Symbiosis (Untamed) — You and your pet grant each other increased damage and movement speed when striking enemies. When this triggers, it refreshes the duration of all stacks
- Zephyr's Speed (Air) — Your chance to critically strike is increased. While attuned to air, your movement speed is also increased.
- Time Marches On (Chronomancer) — You move 25% faster. The duration of incoming movement-impairing conditions is reduced by 25%.
- Speed of Sand (Mirage) — Mirage Cloak increases your movement speed.
- Relic of Speed — Increase movement speed by 66% when under the effect of swiftness.
- Superior Rune of the Traveler — Rank 6: +25% Movement Speed
- Superior Rune of Surging — Rank 6: +25% Movement Speed
- Superior Rune of Snowfall — Rank 6: +25% Movement Speed
- Superior Rune of the Cavalier — Rank 6: +25% Movement Speed
- Rune of the Lynx (PvP) — Rank 6: +25% Movement Speed (Currently only available in sPvP)
- Swim-Speed Infusion +10 — +30% underwater movement speed, stacks with other movement speed increases.
- Writ of Masterful Speed (+25% Movement Speed)
- Writ of Studied Speed (+15% Movement Speed)
- Writ of Basic Speed (+10% Movement Speed)
- Swift Moa Feather (+10% Movement Speed)