Movement Speed can be expressed in units per second (u/s). Forward motion is fastest, and can be increased by various bonuses. Entering combat reduces this speed by about 30%. Forward speed is used whenever the forward key is held, including when holding e.g. forward and right simultaneously.
Sideways or backward motion is much slower than forward motion and both are unaffected by movement speed increases and/or being in combat. The backpedaling speed is used whenever the backward key is pressed, including when holding e.g. backward and right simultaneously.
|Direction||Out of combat
Walking speed is 80 units per second in all directions, both in combat and out of combat.
Movement speed bonuses and debuffs
Most movement speed increases do not stack with each other—only the greatest value takes effect. For example, a character under the effect of Signet of Air (+25%) and swiftness (+33%) will only move 33% faster. Maximum movement speed is universally capped at 400 units per second; this translates to 136% of base out-of-combat speed, but 190% of base in-combat speed. As such, the capped movement speed can be achieved out-of-combat with a mere 40% movement speed increase, whereas in-combat this requires a 100% increase i.e. Superspeed. Superspeed only makes use of its full 100% increase while in combat.
Debuffs like Crippled (-50%) and Chilled (-66%) subtract from the total move speed modifier, and Rising Momentum and swim-speed infusions add their effects on top of it. Thus, a character with swiftness, superspeed, a speed booster, a writ of speed, cripple, and one stack of Rising Momentum would have
100 (strongest bonus out of the first four effects) - 50 + 5 = 55% bonus speed, or
210 * 1.55 = 325.5 u/s.
Sideways and backward motion cannot be increased beyond their base levels by any effect, including Superspeed.
Maximizing movement speed
The following example combinations of effects result in the maximum speed out of combat:
|Superior Rune of Speed with Swiftness||66||136%|
|Swiftness with Woven Stride||40||136%|
|Swiftness + 1x Rising Momentum||38||136%|
The following example combinations of effects result in the maximum speed in combat:
|Superior Rune of Speed with Swiftness + 5x Rising Momentum||91||190%|
|Impossible Odds + 8x Rising Momentum||90||190%|
On a slope, the numbers above apply to the total speed (horizontal + vertical). As a consequence, the horizontal speed is lower.
Underwater swimming speed is very similar to running speed on land. Base speeds and the effect of buffs like swiftness are the same in every direction. Swim-speed infusions provide an additive bonus to forward speed on top of most buffs, but are still subject to the 400 u/s speed cap. This means a +10 infusion and swiftness will hit the cap when out of combat, but even the +30 infusion increases speed in combat.
|Effect(s)||Bonus||Speed Out of Combat||Speed In Combat|
|Swim-Speed Infusion +10 + Swiftness||43||136%||146%|
|Swim-Speed Infusion +24 + Superior Rune of Speed with Swiftness||90||136%||190%|
|Swim-Speed Infusion +10 + Impossible Odds + 6x Rising Momentum||90||136%||190%|
|Swim-Speed Infusion +30 + Swiftness||63||136%||163%|
While gliding, the horizontal speed is 294 u/s, and 390 u/s when leaning forward. The vertical speed is around 113 u/s in both cases.
|Skimmer||540 (land and underwater)|
850 (water surfaces)
|Griffon (dive lvl 1)||1200|
|Griffon (dive lvl 2)||2000|
|Skyscale (airborne)||300 (ascending)|
- ^ Caps at 610 on flat ground without boosting.
|Superior Rune of Speed with Swiftness||+66%|
|Blessing of Elements||+40%|
|Leader of the Pact (I, II, III)||+5%, +15%, +33% in major cities|
|Rising Momentum||+5% for each point of active upkeep, stacks with other movement speed increases|
|Hamstrung||-1% for each 1% missing health (max of 70%)|
|Unseen Burden||-1% for each stack up to 99 stacks|
|Immobile||Unable to move or turn.|
|Stun||Unable to move or turn.|
- Dagger Storm (+100%, 4 seconds)
- Mist Form (+66%, 3 seconds)
- Weave Self (+50%, while, and after, attuning to Air)
- Impossible Odds (+50% while active)
- Whirling Axe (+50% while spinning)
- Signet of the Hunt (+25%, both player and pet, permanent)
- Signet of Shadows (+25%, permanent)
- Signet of Air (+25%, permanent)
- Signet of the Locust (+25%, permanent)
- Warrior's Sprint (+25%, with melee weapons)
- Mecha Legs (+25% Movement Speed; Reduce duration of movement-impairing conditions by 33%)
- Zephyr's Speed (+25%, while attuned to air)
- Woven Stride (Swiftness has 20% increased effectiveness.)
- Quickening Thirst (+25% when health is above 75%)
- Time Marches On (+25% Movement Speed; Reduce duration of movement-impairing conditions by 25%)
- Natural Stride (+33% Movement Speed while not under a movement-impairing condition; Reduce duration of movement-impairing conditions by 33%)
- Pet's Prowess (+30% Movement Speed while in Beastmode)
- Meld with Shadows (+50% Movement Speed while in stealth)
- Rising Momentum (+5% per each pip of energy upkeep, stacks with other movement speed increases)
- Soaring Devastation (+25% Movement Speed while Wings of Resolve is not on cooldown)
- Superior Rune of Speed (Rank 6: +66% Movement Speed during swiftness)
- Superior Rune of the Traveler (Rank 6: +25% Movement Speed)
- Superior Rune of Fireworks (Rank 6: +25% Movement Speed)
- Superior Rune of Surging (Rank 6: +25% Movement Speed)
- Rune of the Lynx (PvP) (Rank 6: +25% Movement Speed) (Currently only available in sPvP)
- Swim-Speed Infusion +10-30% (Underwater only, stacks with other movement speed increases)
- Writ of Masterful Speed (+25% Movement Speed)
- Writ of Studied Speed (+15% Movement Speed)
- Writ of Basic Speed (+10% Movement Speed)
- Swift Moa Feather (+10% Movement Speed)