Legendary weapons are a set of high-end weapons that have unique appearances. They have the same stats as ascended weapons, but stat combo and sigils are not locked and can be freely changed when out of combat.
Legendary weapons are crafted in the Mystic Forge using a precursor weapon and the Gift of the Legendary Weapon associated with the desired end result, plus two other Gifts of Fortune and Mastery shared by other weapons of the same generation. Weapons of the first generation, released at the launch of Guild Wars 2, use Gift of Fortune and Gift of Mastery in their recipes, and second generation weapons, released during updates following Heart of Thorns, use Mystic Tribute and Gift of Maguuma Mastery, or Gift of Desert Mastery.
List of legendary weapons
The following table lists all legendary weapons along with the components needed to craft them. Weapons that use Mystic Tribute as a fortune gift require the Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire expansion.
- Crafting disciplines required to be trained to at least 400 on the account in order to craft some of the components.
- Eternity is a special legendary weapon in that it has neither a precursor weapon nor does it require any legendary gift on its own. Instead, it is constructed by combining two other legendary greatswords, Sunrise and Twilight.
Legendary weapons require a large variety of different materials and other items to craft, both tradeable and account bound. Specific components depend on the generation of the weapon as well as on the weapon itself.
First generation legendary weapons require a precursor weapon, a legendary weapon gift determined by the weapon being crafted, plus a Gift of Fortune and a Gift of Mastery. All three gifts are created in the Mystic Forge by combining other items, as shown by the following table.
It is a good idea to start by making the Gift of Mastery, and then producing Mystic Clovers, because this will also generate materials required for the Gifts of Magic and Might, and potentially the gifts specific to each legendary.
|Primary component||Secondary components||Tertiary components / Cost / Acquisition|
|Gift of Mastery||Bloodstone Shard||
|Obsidian Shard x250|
|Gift of Exploration|
|Gift of Battle|
|Gift of Fortune||250 Globs of Ectoplasm|
|77 Mystic Clovers|
|Gift of Magic|
|Gift of Might|
|Legendary weapon gift1||100 Icy Runestones||
|Crafting material gift1,2||
- This item varies with each legendary weapon.
- Also requires you to have characters that have mastered the respective crafting disciplines. The finished Gifts are account bound, which allows you to craft them on different characters.
- Chance to get a precursor varies with rarity and level.
Second generation legendary weapons are crafted in the Mystic Forge by combining a precursor weapon, a gift tied to the particular legendary, plus the Gift of Maguuma Mastery (or Gift of Desert Mastery for some weapons) and the Mystic Tribute. For the first four second generation legendaries, many of the components have to be acquired in the Heart of Maguuma, and each precursor weapon is Account Bound and can only be acquired by completing three collections in the Legendary Weapons category. These collections are unlocked through the Scholar of Secrets mastery, along with a subsequent collection required to get one of the subcomponents for the legendary weapon gift.
For the mace Eureka, and any new legendaries to be released after it, the process of legendary crafting is slightly changed. There are no more themed precursor collections, but instead recipes used to craft the different tiers of the precursor can be purchased directly from Grandmaster Craftsman Hobbs (if the corresponding Legendary Crafting mastery has been unlocked). Furthermore, the new legendary weapon gifts require Mystic Runestones instead of Icy Runestones.
- This item varies with each legendary weapon.
- A recipe sheet must be bought from Miyani for 10 .
- A Gift of Desert Mastery can be used instead of the Gift of Maguuma Mastery for all second generation legendary weapons, with the exception of Astralaria, Chuka and Champawat, Nevermore, and HOPE.
- When crafting Legendary Shards for a main-handed or two-handed weapon, it may be cheaper to convert off-handed shards by crafting Enormous Chest of Legendary Shards.
- Footprints of a legendary equipped in the main hand will override any footprints of a legendary equipped in the offhand.
- "Footprints" can also be generated by a headbutt on the underside of ledges when affected by Cosmic Energy
- There will be no underwater weapons in the second generation legendaries. 
- Based on a book found in the Mythwright Gambit raid, it is possible that Zommoros is the designer of legendary weapons which are received from the Mystic Forge, including lore-tied ones such as the Claw of the Khan-Ur.
- Legendary weapons cannot be salvaged nor sold to vendors.
- Legendary weapons could not swap infusions nor sigils until October 30th, 2018.
- Removing the sigil of the legendary weapon will make it un-listable on the Trading Post.
- Deleting a legendary weapon will unlock its skin. 
- Hot New Legendary Weapons is an article by ArenaNet describing their approach with Gen 2 legendary weapons.