Earned by various ways at locations heavily affected by the explosive release of magic into Tyria. Spent at vendors at those locales to purchase unlocks and rewards.
— In-game description
Unbound Magic is a currency stored in the Wallet, introduced for Living World Season 3. It is primarily earned by participating in various activities in Bloodstone Fen, Ember Bay, Bitterfrost Frontier, Lake Doric, and Draconis Mons and can be spent at merchants within those zones.
To harvest Unbound Magic from season 3 resource nodes or gather them in the air, it is required to have completed the Reaper of Magic story chapter or to have purchased either Ancient Mursaat Relic or Unbound Magic Gatherer.
Obtained by consuming
- Blood Ruby trinkets sold by Scholar Rakka
- Picking up the purple orbs floating around Living World Season 3 zones (2-4 magic per orb, limited to 500 orbs per day per account)
- Achieving map completion for the above zones
- Completing dynamic events in the above zones - given as both a reward for individual events, and as a map bonus reward
- Gathering while using an Unbound Harvesting Sickle, Unbound Logging Axe, Unbound Mining Pick or their infinite uses counterparts (resp. Unbound Magic Harvesting Blast, Unbound Magic Logging Pulse, Unbound Magic Mining Beam)
- Using Consume Bloodstone Fragment, from Unstable Bloodstone Fragment bundles
- Bonus chests from slaying Bloodstone Crazed creatures around Tyria (limited to once per creature per day, see Bloodstone Sightings for more details)
- Picking up the purple orbs that appear after defeating several bosses:
|Reaper of Magic||Out of the Shadows||0|
|Journey through Bloodstone Fen seeking the secrets of Unbound Magic.Journal: Reaper of Magic||Discovered the Secret to Gathering Unbound Magic||0|
|Magic Unbound: The Gathering||Out of the Shadows||11|
|Collect 10 units of floating unbound magic in 60 seconds.||Collected Tremendous Unbound Magic Very Quickly||1|
- The player is required to have completed Reaper of Magic in order to gather unbound magic from nodes or floating orbs in the air.
- From outside Bloodstone Fen, it will display the message "You must obtain an ancient mursaat relic to harvest unbound magic." when you can't obtain the currency. From inside the map, it will display "Complete the "Reaper of Magic" story step to learn to harvest unbound magic".
- If your inventory is full when gathering from a resource node that has unbound magic, it will act like any other gathered object and will not be obtained until you have inventory space available.