— In-game description
The Jackal is one of the mounts found in the Crystal Desert in Path of Fire. It is a magical wolf-like creature capable of teleporting and making precision jumps. The jackal is made of sand and can store up to three charges of a quick movement-speed blink, which dissipates its body and allows it to reappear a short distance ahead. It can also use special Sand Portals throughout the desert. You'll maintain your momentum as you blink through the portals, creating interesting combinations for puzzles in the Crystal Desert.
Upgrades to the jackal mount improve its movement ability, evading all incoming attacks, as well as add additional effects to its engage skill Pounce, such as granting a strong barrier to allies when used.
The Jackal is unlocked at the Djinn Enclave in Sand Jackal Run, southwestern part of the Desolation. The surroundings are covered in deadly Sulfurous Haze, so a skimmer might be required to reach the area. The Djinn Enclave is located atop the spiral stairs. You can use the Skimmer with Ride the Wind to get to the staircase, or the Springer with High Vault to jump up to one of the lower platforms.
It is possible to reach this area through many other means, nevertheless, the required heart Help Drojkor, Spirit Squall, control jackals will not show up until you have trained either the Springer's High Vault mastery, or the Skimmer's Ride the Wind mastery.
Completing the renown heart allows you to buy the Jackal for 20 and 200 Trade Contracts. The Jackal will cost 30 40 and 200 Trade Contracts if you have not completed the heart event on the day of purchase.
Jackals are elusive, magical creatures formed of shifting sands and given shape by magical runes. They can dissipate into sand to teleport short distances and dash through sand portals. The djinn of the Desolation create and tame them; prove yourself a worthy trainer, and you may befriend one.
Jackals are mystical constructs of wind and sand created and tamed by the djinn of the Desolation. In the wake of Nightfall, remnants of Abaddon's tormented magic left by the Margonites' presence seeped into the Crystal Desert. Left alone, this magic would coalesce into tormented remnants over time. To cleanse the Desolation of this magic, the djinn have gathered at Sand Jackal Run and taken to reshaping this tainted sand into jackal-shaped constructs. The djinn imbue their magic into runes taken from the bodies of tormented remnants to tame the tormented energies, and in turn the jackals. These jackals are feral and hostile initially, and still seek to bring about Nightfall. Once tamed, it is said that the eyes of the jackal are all that remains of their Margonite forebears.
|Enhanced Evasion||381,000||2||Learn to evade attacks while using the jackal's movement ability, and use it at opportune times to avoid large attacks.|
|Bolster Allies||457,200||3||Learn to use the jackal's sand to bolster allies when using Pounce, granting nearby allies a strong barrier.|
|Shifting Sands||558,800||4||Learn to shift through the sand portals found throughout the desert to reach new and hidden locations.|
|Adroit Evasion||1,222,375||5||Master the jackal and learn to share the bonus from Enhanced Evasion with all the mounts through their movement abilities.|
- gain increased damage when using an engage skill from Ravenous Discipline
- gain decreased fall damage from Masterful Descent
- gain boons when using an engage skill or being knocked off your mount from Nimble Recovery
- gain maximum mount health from the Sharing Is Caring
- gain skills from Crystal Champion masteries
|Jackal||Summon and mount your jackal.|
|1||Pounce||Engage. Pounce at your foe, damaging them and any nearby foes.|
|Blink||Rapidly dash forward in the camera's direction.|
|Dismount||Dismount your mount|
List of Jackal skins
- See also: Gallery of Jackal skins
Render by Peter Konig.
- A jackal has 5932 health.
- In getting to the heart quest, the jackal can be used to run along sand bridges. This ability is also used to reach certain mastery points on the other maps.
- The Jackal regenerates its entire endurance bar in 10 seconds.
- The jackal blinks 744 units on flat ground with each blink.
- The Jackal blinks only 131 units on flat ground with each blink while at walking pace.
- It and the Roller Beetle are the only mounts that can have their eye color changed: when dyed, the glowing part of the runes and its eyes are colored.
- When mounted at the race in Amnoon the children present have different dialogue:
- That sandy mount makes my nose itch.
- Whoa! I've never seen one of those before! Is it made of sand?
- While idle, the Jackal has the following animations:
- The player will scratch the Jackal while it sits down, similar to the Raptor.
- The Jackal howls like a wolf.
- The Jackal and the player look down at the ground.
- In the real world, Jackals are an omnivorous species of canines that are native to sub-Saharan Africa and south-central Eurasia.
- The Jackal's theme is known as "Sands of the Djinn" in the Path of Fire soundtrack.
- A life-sized jackal statue was made to tour the EU gaming conventions in 2018, shown above in the gallery.
- Crystal Desert: Desert Dogs — Unlock the jackal mount by completing the Djinn Enclave task region in the Desolation, and by purchasing a jackal saddle from Drojkor. (5)
- The Desolation: Jackal Reconnaissance — Now that you have your jackal, you can gain tasty treats for it as a reward for helping locals. (5)
- The Desolation: Cleansing Tormented Remnants — Use your jackal to clear tormented remnants from the Poisoned Outcrops and Helcoid Seeps. (5 )
- Desert Highlands: Night Lights — Use the Jackal to find the best spot for viewing the sky at night. (3 )