Trinkets are a category of equipment that may account for roughly 40% of the benefits given by equipment. Unlike armor, they do not affect a character's appearance. Although they are not part of a character's starter equipment, trinkets may be acquired beginning in starter areas as loot, personal story rewards, purchased from vendors, and bought or sold on the Trading Post. They may also be crafted by jewelers and transformed in the Mystic Forge. Trinkets have one upgrade slot that can accept jewels or universal upgrades.
There are three types of trinkets: accessories, amulets, and rings, which differ in the magnitude of the attribute bonuses they grant. Equipped trinkets may be displayed using the equipment tab of the Hero panel. Hovering over an empty slot will display its type. Hovering over an occupied slot will display the trinkets characteristics. A character may wear up to two accessories, one amulet, and two rings at a time.
|Trinket type||Relative bonus (each)||Number that may be equipped||Relative bonus (total)|
Ascended trinkets are roughly 5% more powerful than their exotic equivalents and usable by level 80 characters. They use different mechanics:
- They have no upgrade slot, but the stats of an ascended-equivalent jewel are added to the base attribute bonuses of the trinket. (The jewel attributes are not always the same as the base attributes, resulting in items like Vine of the Pale Tree)
- Instead, they offer two kinds of slots: infusion or (on amulets only) enrichment.
- They are unique, allowing only a single copy of each named trinket to be equipped at a time.
The following tables indicate attribute bonus values for triple, quadruple, and Celestial level 80 trinkets:
- Structured PvP does not use normal trinkets but uses separate amulets through the PvP Build mechanic.
- Since trinkets have no appearance, they cannot be dyed and are not part of the wardrobe.
- Accessories are sometimes named Earring or Stud, Amulets are sometimes named Pendant, and Rings are sometimes named Band.
- Unlike other trinkets, legendary trinkets do affect the character's appearance, by applying various visual effects.