Player versus Player
Take capture points, slay enemies, and earn rewards in a Player versus Player team battle. Click the crossed swords icon in the top left of your screen to enter PvP, which boosts your level to 80 for the duration of the fight.
Player versus Player (PvP) refers to the combat and activities in the game focused on players competing against other players, as opposed to co-operative Player versus Environment (PvE). The two main PvP game modes are Structured PvP and World versus World, while the PvE mode has several designated PvP activities.
All PvP game modes mostly follow the same established game mechanics, with the exception of certain individual traits and skills which might be adjusted for PvP to ensure game balance. One notable mechanic, available primarily in PvP, is finishing of downed players, which quickly sends them to defeated state.
The following PvP modes are available in Guild Wars 2:
- Structured PvP
In Structured PvP, two teams of players clash in fast-paced competitive arena combat. Teams may include from 2 to 5 players each depending on the arena type and earn team points for defeating enemy players, holding capture points, and completing map-specific objectives.
Unlike other game modes, it normalizes all characters and their equipment to have the best available attributes, and uses its own PvP Build system for gear customization. All skills and traits are unlocked in this mode for any character regardless of their level.
- World versus World
World vs. World is a game mode combining PvP and PvE elements, where players, divided into three teams based on their worlds (game servers), engage in open-world combat against each other for objectives and resource control.
It takes place across five large maps with up to several dozen players per map. Besides open field battles, players can besiege and defend objectives such as Keeps and Towers with siege weapons, skirmish over resource camps, and participate in PvE-type dynamic events.
Players joining WvW will have their level and attributes dynamically adjusted to maximum level 80, but use their own equipment and unlocked skills and traits.
- Player versus Environment activities
- Activities – players have access to set build of skills and abilities.
- Costume Brawl – a festive competition where players use tonics to gain the appearance and abilities of another creature or wear town clothing with Costume Brawl abilities to fight other Costume Brawlers.
- Belcher's Bluff
- Crab Toss – a Southsun Cove free-for-all game where the winner is the player who can hold the crab the longest.
- Keg Brawl – a norn sport in their settlement of Hoelbrak which involves kegs of ale and lots of brawling, most similar to basketball.
- Sanctum Sprint
- Southsun Survival
- Combat arenas — places where players can hold PvP battles for 2 or more players in 2-3 teams