Shadow of the Mad King 2017
Shadow of the Mad King, our annual Halloween festival, returns with ghoulish capers, spooky fights, and holiday fun! Gather together with the citizens of Lion's Arch to enjoy another year of tricks, treats, and terrible jokes.
— Official website
Shadow of the Mad King 2017 is a Halloween-themed release and was the first major update for Guild Wars 2 that went live on October 22, 2012. It has since been updated and re-released in 2015 and 2016 as annual events. In 2017, it started on October 17th, 2017 and ended on November 8th, 2017.
- Mad King's Labyrinth - Bloody Prince Edrick has taken over parts of the Mad King's Labyrinth and is controlling the undead armies in the Mad King's Realm. The Skeletal Lich, Grand High Viscount of Candy Corn, and the Labyrinthine Horror lie in wait.
- Labyrinth Race - Take part in a race through the Labyrinth on your mounts. (Occurs roughly every 20 minutes)
- Mad King's Clock Tower - Tyria's most maddening jumping puzzle thrilled players during last year's Halloween event and returns better than ever.
- Ascent to Madness - Fight against the Mad King Thorn himself, as he trades in his usual jokes and pranks to face you head on.
- Mad King Says - Join the Mad King Thorn as he commands you to perform actions, or attempts to trick you.
- Lunatic Inquisition - Attempt to survive the night as a villager while the Lunatic Courtiers hunt you down.
- Shadow of the Mad King (2017 achievements)
- Halloween Daily
- Halloween Rituals
- Lunatic Wardrobe
- Lunatic Court's Finery
- Touch of Madness
- Lunatic armor
- Haunted weapons
- Mad Memoires: Complete Ignition
- Mad Memoires: Complete Superstition
- Mini Bradford the Skeleton Ghost
- Mini Halloween Gourdon
- Mini Lord Humphrey Faren
- Mini Gustav the Caramel Corn Elemental
- Mini Failed Attempt
- Mini Forgal
- Mini Sieran
- Mini Trahearne
- Mini Spooky Mounts Pack
New Guild Hall Decorations
- Ghostly Dining Chair
- Ghostly Dining Table
- Haunted Armchair
- Haunted Loveseat
- Spooky Dining Chair
- Spooky Dining Table
New Black Lion Trading Company Items
Returning Black Lion Trading Company Items
- Blood and Madness Halloween weapon skins
- Bloody Prince's Outfit
- Bone Pick
- Candy Corn Gobbler
- Devil Horns
- Ghoul Backpack and Mini Set
- Grenth Hood Skin
- Hallows Fortune Fireworks
- Lunatic Guard Outfit
- Mad King's Outfit
- Mad King Dye Kit
- Permanent Mad King Finisher
- Permanent Scarecrow Finisher
- Phantom's Hood
- Tireless Harvesting Minion
- Tireless Logging Minion
- Witch's Outfit
- For more ambient dialogue, see Drooburt's Ghost#Ambient dialogue, Mad King Thorn#Dialogue, "Mad King Thorn"#Quotes and Master Carver#Ambient dialogue.
- Walking around Lion's Arch
- Lionguard (human): Did you know the gateway to the Mad Realm goes both ways? The Mad King can enter our realm, and we can enter his.
- Lionguard (charr): Sounds like a great opportunity to refine my combat skills. That labyrinth seems pretty challenging.
- Lionguard (human): Well, watch yourself. I wouldn't want to get stuck in there with the Mad King for an entire year!
- Lionguard (charr): Whoa! You scared me! That's the most hideous Halloween mask I've ever seen!
- Lionguard (human): What mask?
- Priory Scholar (norn): Did you hear? The Mad King has challenged adventurers to a fight.
- Priory Scholar (human): I've heard that all over town! I wonder if Tyria's best could take him in a fair fight.
- Priory Scholar (norn): Now that's a battle I'd love to see! I wouldn't expect the Mad King to fight fair, though.
- Priory Scholar (human): Magister Tassi's research wasn't a complete waste of time. This candy corn is really effective Bloody Prince repellent.
- Priory Scholar (norn): I almost can't blame him–you can practically smell the candy corn in Hoelbrak! The Sea of Sorrows might turn to syrup!
- Grand Piazza in Lion's Arch
- Villager: I can't believe you prefer Halloween over Wintersday.
- Citizen: Wintersday is no fun.
- Villager: You don't think getting gifts is fun?
- Citizen: I don't think getting ugly sweaters is as much fun as beating you in a costume brawl!
- Fort Marriner in Lion's Arch
- Priory Explorer: Remember when the Mad King burst through the lion statue?
- Priory Arcanist: I do. It seems every time he comes around, our lion statues are destroyed. Maybe he had a mean cat when he was a kid.
- Priory Explorer: Do you think he'll try that again?
- Priory Arcanist: I hope not. Evon Gnashblade's requested extra Lionguard support since the Mad King reappeared.
- Priory Arcanist: See all the candy corn? It's not just decorative this year. Everyone's been talking about how it keeps the Bloody Prince away.
- Lionguard: Good! I hope the Bloody Prince never returns. I sleep easier knowing he's locked in his box!
- Priory Arcanist: What's with the Thorns and Halloween? They need therapy. (sigh)
- Deverol Gardens in Lion's Arch
- Citizen: All of these trick-or-treating children are intriguing. Mischief and candy sure seem to entertain them!
- Local: It's great, I love seeing these kids so happy. Do you have any fond memories of trick-or-treating?
- Citizen: No, this is my first time coming to Lion's Arch for Halloween. It's all new to me!
- Local: Ha! Maybe you should dress up and ask people for candy!
- Citizen: With the Bloody Prince at bay because of this candy corn, we can all rest easier.
- Lionguard: We're lucky he hates it so much. I don't think Lion's Arch wants to deal with any more blood and madness.
- Citizen: Maybe by the time this ends, we'll all hate candy corn!
- Lionguard: Whatever it takes to protect the city! I'll take misbehaving kids with rotten teeth over bloodthirsty spirits any day.
- Citizen: (laughs) Right.
- The Lunatic Inquisition game was brought back in 2017 after being dropped in 2014.
- The 2012 Halloween skins Scythe Staff Skin, Deathly Pauldrons Skin, Chain Sword Skin, Ghastly Grinning Shield Skin and Greatsaw Greatsword Skin were made available in Black Lion Chests.
|1||The Lunatic Court||3:07||Stan LePard||SoundCloud|
|2||The Clocktower||1:40||Maclaine Diemer||SoundCloud|
|3||Halloween In Tyria||2:17||Maclaine Diemer||SoundCloud|
|4||The Tale Of The Mad King Thorn||1:47||Maclaine Diemer||SoundCloud|
- Shadow of the Mad King 2012
- Blood and Madness 2013
- Blood and Madness 2014
- Shadow of the Mad King 2015
- Shadow of the Mad King 2016