Kappa are a savage race of turtle-like creatures that inhabit areas near waterways, both petrified and not. Jade Sea kappa were known to have served the kraken and sea spirit Zhu Hanuku. They have a habit of eating the crops of farmers. Certain types carry eggs within their shells. They will appear in the End of Dragons expansion.
Kappa grow stronger and more colorful shells as they age. Archaic kappa shells are thought to be able to attune the wearer to the vibrations of the Jade Sea, allowing them to predict danger before it strikes. Kappa are susceptible to the effects of the Affliction.
- Kappa are based off kappa, a type of amphibious Yōkai demon from Japanese folklore.
- Kappa are particularly fond of cucumbers. This corresponds to kappa in Japanese folklore, as legends state that they can be placated with cucumbers.
- Associated items
- ^ a b Axton
- Axton: The kappa are savage creatures that serve the sea spirit Zhu Hanuku. Wearing a kappa shell around your neck will attune you to the subtle vibrations of the Jade Sea, allowing you to sense danger before it strikes. Bring me 5 Archaic Kappa Shells and you can have this in return.
- ^ Dialogue in Pest Control
- Farmer Zinhao: You look like the sort of person who gets around, if you do not mind my saying. Do you think you could do me a favor? Those accursed kappa have been eating my crops and I cannot get rid of them with just a pitchfork. It is too dangerous by far. But there is a hunter, name of Suhkaro, visiting Shing Jea Monastery if I'm not mistaken. Suhkaro promised me a Kappa Trap when last he passed through here, but he has not been back this way yet. If I do not get rid of the kappa, my crops will not survive until harvest!
- ^ End of Dragons First Look
- Rubi Bayer: They are super good. We're also going to meet some familiar enemies from Guild Wars Factions, like naga, kappa and wallows, all updated for Guild Wars 2.
- ^ Xi Gai
- Xi Gai: Greetings, stranger. Is it not a glorious day today? Hey, perhaps you could help me with something. I made a wager with a few friends of mine about who could find the most impressive shell. I have heard that kappa shells grow more and more colorful as they age, so if I can find some elder kappa, I am sure to find a shell to win this bet! If you want to help, bring me 3 Elder Kappa Shells. I shall give you this in return.
- ^ When Kappa Attack
- Oroku: Believe what you wish. The truth is plain to those who would look for it. Let's get moving. I've already used some scrying magic to locate a few of the sources of corruption that has been turning the beasts violent. We'll head out and purify these locations now.
- <Character name>: You said that this was a corruption, but didn't we get rid of the plague?
- Oroku: Corruption exists in many forms; even if Shiro is gone there are still those that would try and revive his legacy. Ultimately, the real corruption comes from within, but that's where the Ministry of Purity comes in. Now, stand guard while I purify this area.
- ^ The Red Frog
- Sujun: Look, a pride of kappa! Be careful not to startle them. Kappa are very fond of cucumbers, you know...